911 - My Powder Blue Tang has the white markings of death on it

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is lucky in my case I caught it early enough with no casualties but as all of you know how hard it is to catch fish in an established reef tank then go fallow for 72 days,it's no fun
Certainly is not fun!

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better!

Here is my clan of ten tangs in QT:

Running tank fallow I let them out of QT too soon and paid the price...

Switch to 720P HD

What are you feeding the copperband to keep him alive?
I will eventually have one in Qt and was wondering what I would feed. Also what a shame to lose those beautiful fish. Are you Qting anything now?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding the copperband to keep him alive?
I will eventually have one in Qt and was wondering what I would feed. Also what a shame to lose those beautiful fish. Are you Qting anything now?
I qt all fish in my angel and tang tank. I didn't lose all those fish they're still around!

Copperbands love live black worms. Live brine works too. Mine eats frozen now no problem.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt all fish in my angel and tang tank. I didn't lose all those fish they're still around!

Copperbands love live black worms. Live brine works too. Mine eats frozen now no problem.

Oh thank goodness you didn't lose them.
I will have to try the live black worms when I Qt him. Where do you buy them?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what my research has shown me. Each fish must go through a Qt and treatment. Qt them several days to get them eating and fatten them up. Then treat with a gentle med to cure bacterial disease then treat them with a harsher med like copper to ensure they don't have ich or velvet, then keep them in Qt to fatten them up again then treat them again with the milder meds as the first go around is not always affective. Then Qt them again for a period of feeding an observation. This process can take 21 days minimal and can. Go as long as 8 weeks. Depending on initial results. I am in the process now of treating 3 purple tangs, Achilles tang, powder blue, blonde naso, 3 yellow tangs, and a pair of clownfish. This is taken place in 3 large Qt tanks. So far they have been fattened up and are being treated with prazipro. So far so good. Just keep water quality good with equally medicated water changes.

I know for sure that I killed this little guy !!! I believe me treating the fish and it having the wounds probably lead to his demise - heart broken

While in the main tank he was swimming around all day and doing fine other then the spots ( stings ) even ate - that night when I removed him he still showed no signs of ill until placed in the Q-Tank which like another member said earlier probably upset him.

I can't say for sure what it was but I can say that a week later everything is doing fine in main tank - my guess is that the stings would have healed themselves and I made matters worse trying to fix the problem ASAP in order to save the other LF.

One of my biggest mistakes was using goggle to find pics that looked like the sores on my fish and once I did it showed velvet which now am understanding is 100% wrong

I really should kick myself as I have always been the type to educate before making moves but since it was one of my favorite fish and didn't want my Naso or Hippo to get sick I jumped the gun - completely ridiculous

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for sure that I killed this little guy !!! I believe me treating the fish and it having the wounds probably lead to his demise - heart broken

While in the main tank he was swimming around all day and doing fine other then the spots ( stings ) even ate - that night when I removed him he still showed no signs of ill until placed in the Q-Tank which like another member said earlier probably upset him.

I can't say for sure what it was but I can say that a week later everything is doing fine in main tank - my guess is that the stings would have healed themselves and I made matters worse trying to fix the problem ASAP in order to save the other LF.

One of my biggest mistakes was using goggle to find pics that looked like the sores on my fish and once I did it showed velvet which now am understanding is 100% wrong

I really should kick myself as I have always been the type to educate before making moves but since it was one of my favorite fish and didn't want my Naso or Hippo to get sick I jumped the gun - completely ridiculous

This hobby is all about lessons learned! Unfortunately. I wouldn't kick yourself for trying to do what you thought was the right thing. I would have done the same. Maybe you will save many more lives by posting this thread and make people aware.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is all about lessons learned! Unfortunately. I wouldn't kick yourself for trying to do what you thought was the right thing. I would have done the same. Maybe you will save many more lives by posting this thread and make people aware.

Thanks and yea I was actually hoping that too.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I led you astray, velvet takes on so many different appearances on fish. That's why I hoped someone else would chime in on that one before you made your move. I still feel bad.

I don't think he would have made it though, those were serious injuries

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I led you astray, velvet takes on so many different appearances on fish. That's why I hoped someone else would chime in on that one before you made your move. I still feel bad.

I don't think he would have made it though, those were serious injuries

Don't - I really appreciate everyone's support and help; we did the best we could and now we know and knowing is half the battle

Thanks for everything

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't - I really appreciate everyone's support and help; we did the best we could and now we know and knowing is half the battle

Thanks for everything
It's what i am here for. Sorry I wasn't any real help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back