911 - My Powder Blue Tang has the white markings of death on it

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - he is the only one

Yea my Q tank is used before I put them in but again he has been in main tank for 2 mths with nothing added since him. I keep all fish in Q tank for a week before adding them, some do it longer but I figure after a week with no issues then it's probably my faught at that point

If you only lost the powder blue I doubt it was velvet. If it was ich I would think your hippo would show signs by now.
I will never add another fish without first treating them and closely monitoring them for at least 21 days.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only lost the powder blue I doubt it was velvet. If it was ich I would think your hippo would show signs by now.
I will never add another fish without first treating them and closely monitoring them for at least 21 days.
I agree. I have had 2 run ins with velvet it both this it either decimated my tank or killed 80 percent.

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss with the powder blue. That's was one of the reasons why I started qaurantining everything when I upgraded. I normally have my fish in qaurantine for at least a month. I usually give a week to make sure they're eating and healthy then I slowly start dosing copper. After I'm at full strength with copper they stay there for 2 weeks. Normally followed by prazi and then I observe for a couple weeks after treatment

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss with the powder blue. That's was one of the reasons why I started qaurantining everything when I upgraded. I normally have my fish in qaurantine for at least a month. I usually give a week to make sure they're eating and healthy then I slowly start dosing copper. After I'm at full strength with copper they stay there for 2 weeks. Normally followed by prazi and then I observe for a couple weeks after treatment
Just as a side note, 2 weeks won't cut it you'll have much better long term success at 4+ weeks.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some research and came up with using MelaFlix to start with but still thinking what else I might be able to do and exactly what is it ?

is this Velvet disease ?

He was just find last night and then this morning the wife came into my office and noticed it right away; nothing else has died and he was just fine yesterday

PBT.jpg
PBT2.jpg

is this Velvet disease ?
I had a carpet snatch up my powder blue the first day I got it! (2 years ago) and it looked just like the wounds on your fish. I also had a carpet snatch up my hand once and the wounds on me looked just like your fish! Tons and tons of tiny little white spots, different then ich and velvet because there perfect little circles. and then the fish starts slimming and breathing really hard.
I'm no disease expert at all but IF I had a vote it would be for the Carpet Anemone. So sorry for your loss [emoji20]

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a side note, 2 weeks won't cut it you'll have much better long term success at 4+ weeks.

So I guess am lost with all the quarantining numbers - In my case the fish was quarantined for a week, then in the main tank for 2 months with NO issues. How would quarantining him for 21 days or even a month have helped ? I mean it's obvious that he was still fine a month ago so therefore he would have still been put into main tank.

I will indeed take everyone's advice and quarantine for a longer period starting now.
I had a carpet snatch up my powder blue the first day I got it! (2 years ago) and it looked just like the wounds on your fish. I also had a carpet snatch up my hand once and the wounds on me looked just like your fish! Tons and tons of tiny little white spots, different then ich and velvet because there perfect little circles. and then the fish starts slimming and breathing really hard.
I'm no disease expert at all but IF I had a vote it would be for the Carpet Anemone. So sorry for your loss [emoji20]

I believe you might be right but the stuff on his fins is what was kind of strange - do you think the sting could have effected the fins as well ? Thanks

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess am lost with all the quarantining numbers - In my case the fish was quarantined for a week, then in the main tank for 2 months with NO issues. How would quarantining him for 21 days or even a month have helped ? I mean it's obvious that he was still fine a month ago so therefore he would have still been put into main tank.

I will indeed take everyone's advice and quarantine for a longer period starting now.

I believe you might be right but the stuff on his fins is what was kind of strange - do you think the sting could have effected the fins as well ? Thanks
Maybe the carpet attack caused the fish to be stressed out enough to get sick.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been a lucky guy! The reason is that many fish have ich but don't show any symptoms in QT for quite awhile if well fed and in good water parameters (as they should be). The parasite lives in their gills, hidden out of view. This is the path of least resistance. As the gills get ingested and the fish starts to deteriorate, they move to the body and fins of the fish!

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, the carpet doesn't care where it stings. The powder blue that I had was covered completely! Every inch was just tons of tiny white circles with stinging cells hanging off it. Only reason the PB even made it 48 more hours was because I snatched him out of the carpet before he got eaten. Looking back on it I realize I should of probably just let the carpet get it. Not to be mean but to save the PB the pain and suffering he went through for 2 days after.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, the carpet doesn't care where it stings. The powder blue that I had was covered completely! Every inch was just tons of tiny white circles with stinging cells hanging off it. Only reason the PB even made it 48 more hours was because I snatched him out of the carpet before he got eaten. Looking back on it I realize I should of probably just let the carpet get it. Not to be mean but to save the PB the pain and suffering he went through for 2 days after.
I never want a carpet anemone. Not after what several people have posted.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not velvet!!! It is some skin/slime coat thing. My guess is something bacterial. If you can catch him swab the area with tea tree oil but don't spend a lot of time chasing him around. It will only add stress and hasten the disease. My powder blue gets spots like hat on and off all the time and he is 7 years old.

Odinium shows it the very end stages and the entire fish looks dusted. In the picture he doesn't look like it's over the entire fish. The easiest place to spot velvet in tangs is in the eyes. They will cloud over. Have you added any fish lately?

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not velvet!!! It is some skin/slime coat thing. My guess is something bacterial. If you can catch him swab the area with tea tree oil but don't spend a lot of time chasing him around. It will only add stress and hasten the disease. My powder blue gets spots like hat on and off all the time and he is 7 years old.

Odinium shows it the very end stages and the entire fish looks dusted. In the picture he doesn't look like it's over the entire fish. The easiest place to spot velvet in tangs is in the eyes. They will cloud over. Have you added any fish lately?
The fish passed away. We think the carpet anemone attacked him and that stressed it enough for him to get sick and pass. Maybe the stress of the carpet anemone sting made him sick. Idk

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what my research has shown me. Each fish must go through a Qt and treatment. Qt them several days to get them eating and fatten them up. Then treat with a gentle med to cure bacterial disease then treat them with a harsher med like copper to ensure they don't have ich or velvet, then keep them in Qt to fatten them up again then treat them again with the milder meds as the first go around is not always affective. Then Qt them again for a period of feeding an observation. This process can take 21 days minimal and can. Go as long as 8 weeks. Depending on initial results. I am in the process now of treating 3 purple tangs, Achilles tang, powder blue, blonde naso, 3 yellow tangs, and a pair of clownfish. This is taken place in 3 large Qt tanks. So far they have been fattened up and are being treated with prazipro. So far so good. Just keep water quality good with equally medicated water changes.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what my research has shown me. Each fish must go through a Qt and treatment. Qt them several days to get them eating and fatten them up. Then treat with a gentle med to cure bacterial disease then treat them with a harsher med like copper to ensure they don't have ich or velvet, then keep them in Qt to fatten them up again then treat them again with the milder meds as the first go around is not always affective. Then Qt them again for a period of feeding an observation. This process can take 21 days minimal and can. Go as long as 8 weeks. Depending on initial results. I am in the process now of treating 3 purple tangs, Achilles tang, powder blue, blonde naso, 3 yellow tangs, and a pair of clownfish. This is taken place in 3 large Qt tanks. So far they have been fattened up and are being treated with prazipro. So far so good. Just keep water quality good with equally medicated water changes.

I have always wanted a group of purple tangs. They do well in groups like that I just didn't have the room for them and wished to mix up my tangs further! Pics will be needed of this arrangement! :)

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a group of purple tangs. They do well in groups like that I just didn't have the room for them and wished to mix up my tangs further! Pics will be needed of this arrangement! :)

Yes I will get some pics of the new set up and some of the fish in Qt.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will get some pics of the new set up and some of the fish in Qt.
You better!

Here is my clan of ten tangs in QT:

Running tank fallow I let them out of QT too soon and paid the price...

Switch to 720P HD

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish you have there. I made the mistake of letting out of qaurantine to early my first time and had to restart again that's why I take my time now

Yup, expensive (time and money) lesson indeed...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back