OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of posts ago, I said that if all goes well, I will have livestock in the tank before the end of July. Unfortunately, things happen that can change timelines and I had a major happening. About two weeks ago I woke up to the following:

Leak_1_zps3hamijuq.jpg~original

A closeup:

Leak_2_zpsvwyrwjbf.jpg~original

I estimate that 250g had already drained from the tank, by the time I discovered it. My wife and I jumped into action. She grabbed the mop and started pushing the water outside through the "barn doors". I Grabbed one of the pumps I had lying around and hooked up a flex line to discharge the rest of the water in the tank. We also placed a bucket under the stream and emptied that every 5 to 10 minutes.

It took about three hours to finish draining the water and clean up. The floor was dried using the mop and a heavy duty shop vac. There is a silver lining to this. The display room is a converted garage and the laminate flooring is the original glue type. This floor is practically waterproof, so the leaked water ran to two edges and then drained down to the garage floor, which has a drain. This explains to me why we only had to clean up about 50g tops of the water. I had assessor over to look for water damage and there is basically none. I am very glad, and very fortunate, that I used the garage room, and not one of the main house rooms. The water damage to the house would have been very high.

Once we were done the cleanup, I sent an email to the builder and the company owner called me first thing that morning. We discussed the situation and I sent him a number of photos. I removed most of the sand and found the floor pane had cracked from one end of the tank to the other.

The first thing I want to say is that I have not, and will not, point fingers at anybody. There is a lot that can happen to glass from the manufacture of the panes to the final installation. I will, however, commend the the owner who immediately stepped up to remedy the situation.

We talked about a number of ways to fix it and in the end, we agreed to add a new floor pane over the existing glass base on the inside of the tank. The builder is shipping the glass to me, then will fly here and install it. The glass is currently in transit and I should have it in the next day or two. Hopefully, I will be back on the build next weekend.

That, in a nutshell, is how life sometimes happens. I was thinking that if I were 30 years younger, I would most likely still be upset. However, I know things happen, and this is just one of those things. The builder responded immediately with a promise to fix it, in the least painful way, and that is currently happening.

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the upside, I received my dry rock last week. I am very impressed with the quality of the rock. The largest piece is around 27" x 21":

Rock2_zpsjypqu9dd.jpg~original

The Kleenex box is a standard size to give a perspective on the size. The other two rocks are the smallest that were received.

Here are samples of some of the others:

2e3a3a06-0827-48e2-b487-ae95736e2ed0_zpsfy5va5dx.jpg~original

I now have all the rock I need. My wife and I were chuckling the other day about the rock. This is the last major expenditure item in the build and that is probably a good thing. We definitely went over the original budget but thought, what the heck, you only live once. And we are enjoying it. OK, the timeline setbacks notwithstanding.

This post brings us to today, July 18. I have learned over the years that most things do not always go as planned, and with the number of processes in a tank build, the likely hood of something going wrong is there. The timeline setback has a silver lining as well. I have not been paying as much attention to the 220g and this gave me time to get things back on track. I had a major drop in alkalinity (dropped to 5.6) and it wiped out one coral and has since affected another couple. I also had a cyano outbreak. I have used this time to get the 220 back on track. I can at least put my feet up and watch it while I wait to go forward on the 400g.

Thanks for reading,
Ward

exigency

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read all of this, I really hope things get back on track from this mishap.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read all of this, I really hope things get back on track from this mishap.
Thanks. It is not that bad, from my perspective. It is a timeline issue but everything will fall in place. I just got news, an hour ago, that the replacement glass is in transit from Toronto. That is only a 5 hour drive from here, so I will probably get it on Wednesday. Possibly tomorrow if it is already in Ottawa.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think went wrong for the aquarium to leak
Any guess on my part would be pure speculation. And any speculation would inherently point fingers. I am hoping the builder will have an idea of what happened when he sees it. I commend him for the immediate action to fix the damage.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and I look forward to watching your build progress!

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any guess on my part would be pure speculation. And any speculation would inherently point fingers. I am hoping the builder will have an idea of what happened when he sees it. I commend him for the immediate action to fix the damage.
Did you have Styrofoam under the aquarium? And how long was there water in it before the leak?

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have Styrofoam under the aquarium? And how long was there water in it before the leak?
I did not put styrofoam under the tank. I had talked to the builder about using styro and he was on the fence about it. He has a 12' tank straight on plywood without issue. He felt it was not necessary because the bottom pane is 3/4" thick. Now this also assumes a flat surface. I took great measure in ensuring the top was flat.

The tank leaked at some time within 8 hrs of the last fill, after I had added both the sand and salt. If you recall from an earlier post, I had the sand in the tank, then started the RODI. While the tank was filling, I added the salt. It took 73 hrs to fill the tank. The break happened through the night after I had turned the RODI off.

As I stated before, it is one of those things that happen in life. I have not lost any sleep because of the break and I know that it will be fixed in the end. My focus is on moving on with the build. The next step is to work on the stand and light rack skinning. I enjoy woodworking and have to start sketching some designs.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and I look forward to watching your build progress!
Thanks rev. I am keeping an eye on your build because I am just a couple months ahead of you. It is exciting to both do a build and watch another build. I am looking forward to watching your progress too.

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I had logged in with my tapatalk account name and not my R2R user name. I go by reefmania59 on Tapatalk and rockworm on the forum. The replies above were from tapatalk before I set the default to my forum user id. Sorry about the confusion

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 15 years I've talked to over 20 builders in the 15 years any aquarium that's 7 feet long or bigger needs to have styrofoam under the aquarium or the front panel or the bottom panel will crack my 350 gallon 96x27x32 has styrofoam and my next build 130 x 34 x 34 will also have styrofoam I would not have it no other way trust me call 5 other builders and all 5 will tell you styrofoam is a must my friend

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 15 years I've talked to over 20 builders in the 15 years any aquarium that's 7 feet long or bigger needs to have styrofoam under the aquarium or the front panel or the bottom panel will crack my 350 gallon 96x27x32 has styrofoam and my next build 130 x 34 x 34 will also have styrofoam I would not have it no other way trust me call 5 other builders and all 5 will tell you styrofoam is a must my friend
I appreciate the information. I will discuss this with the builder when he comes. Do these other builders laminate 1/4" plywood to the bottom of the tank? Or is it straight glass to styrofoam? I would think the ply would provide some forgiveness through compression of the fibres. I hope that a new bottom pane placed inside the tank over the cracked one should work, now that the bottom panel has reacted to whatever caused the break.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't laminate 1/4 plywood How think is your aquarium glass? The builders that I talk to and my aquarium has 3/4 glass all way around 19 mm what I did was my aquarium on 1/2 styrofoam into 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood

0628132150.jpg

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't laminate 1/4 plywood How think is your aquarium glass? The builders that I talk to and my aquarium has 3/4 glass all way around 19 mm what I did was my aquarium on 1/2 styrofoam into 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood

0628132150.jpg
I like your tank. Very nice design. My tank is the same 19mm all the way around with a Eurobrace. I set the tank on 3/4 cabinet grade ply. Your sandwich method is a good idea. My current issue is lifting the tank to get foam under it. It was a huge undertaking just to get the tank on the stand because no mover would do it.

The new glass arrived today and it is 15mm. I will hear back from the builder tomorrow to schedule his visit.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lift your aquarium right you would need 8 to 10 suction cups I know it's going to be a lot of more work a lot more money each suction cups 40 to $60 depending on the brand and size and the aquarium Builders tell me you don't put Styrofoam under acrylic aquariums straight on plywood only glass aquariums 7 feet or longer need to sit on styrofoam I hope you get this figured out quick

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank. Very nice design. My tank is the same 19mm all the way around with a Eurobrace. I set the tank on 3/4 cabinet grade ply. Your sandwich method is a good idea. My current issue is lifting the tank to get foam under it. It was a huge undertaking just to get the tank on the stand because no mover would do it.

The new glass arrived today and it is 15mm. I will hear back from the builder tomorrow to schedule his visit.
My aquarium 8 ft long my aquarium is called part bow front 6 ft in the center is bow and a foot left side and a foot on the right side my aquarium is 3/4 glass all around and the 6 foot panel is 1" thick

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the glass at the house and the builder is flying in on Sunday Morning to repair the tank.

Glass_zpsulntg4pw.jpg~original

There are two identical size pieces that will be laid side by side over the existing bottom. I am very interested to see how it is done.

More good news. I have had a standing order with my go to LFS for Pyramid butterfly fish. I really wanted a few of them, if possible. I got a call from him yesterday to confirm that I still wanted them and today I picked up three. All of them are about 3.5" long and are now in quarantine.

Pyramid_3_zpsralnamvc.jpg~original

I fed them a little cyclops to see if they would eat. They stayed in their huddle, but grabbed any that drifted near them. I followed that up with some mysis and they ate that also. I will ensure they are eating well then will start with ttm and prazi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back