A Capital Dream - 400g SPS build

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping is all about patience. Feeding heavy is also a way to keep them from picking too much. I'll be patient add all the weaker fish first along with corals. Butterfly, anthias, etc. Once things are established and we have some growth then I'll add tangs and the Angels. One of the reasons I added so much filtration techniques is to be able to have a heavy bioload with many different nutrient export options. Having said that once it's cycled likely I will
Do everything g I know I should. Or lol.

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popped into the LFS today. They just got a shipment of Fiji corals. I just had to pick up a few.
smile.gif

Yellow_Poci_zpshzn65rxa.jpg~original

I just could not get over the yellow of this pocillopora. In front of it is a Cali Tort frag that I received earlier this week. The one to the right is a Palmer's Blue Millie. I hope it will colour up over the next couple of months.

Fiji_3_zpsnvcjaxvu.jpg~original

Here is another yellow one, though it is not as intense as the Poci.

Fiji_2_zpskra7h7c9.jpg~original

The picture did not come out as good as I had hoped. The branches have a pale yellow colour with pinkish tips. I bought this because I feel it has some potential for nice colours.

I am still learning how to use the camera, but I turned the LED Blues off for these photos. The pictures come closer to their real colours than previous pictures with the LEDs on.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popped into the LFS today. They just got a shipment of Fiji corals. I just had to pick up a few.
smile.gif

Yellow_Poci_zpshzn65rxa.jpg~original

I just could not get over the yellow of this pocillopora. In front of it is a Cali Tort frag that I received earlier this week. The one to the right is a Palmer's Blue Millie. I hope it will colour up over the next couple of months.

Fiji_3_zpsnvcjaxvu.jpg~original

Here is another yellow one, though it is not as intense as the Poci.

Fiji_2_zpskra7h7c9.jpg~original

The picture did not come out as good as I had hoped. The branches have a pale yellow colour with pinkish tips. I bought this because I feel it has some potential for nice colours.

I am still learning how to use the camera, but I turned the LED Blues off for these photos. The pictures come closer to their real colours than previous pictures with the LEDs on.
Looking forward to seeing them in your tank.

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, oh. Looks like I have to update this thread. [emoji4] Will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. I have been adding a few colonies and frags and a couple of fish.

I had transferred about 350lbs of rock from my previous 220g, but the use of new sand and 250 lbs of dry rock has led to some algae, which I expected to happen.

My corals are holding good colour and the most recent purchases are colouring up nicely.

I will get some pictures up and will let you know my algae eradication plans in my next update. Should I call this a teaser?

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a few pictures today. I mentioned previously that I am having some algae issues. The pictures illustrate this very well. Every few days I will harvest some from hte tank. It is slowly declining with the help of the clean up crew. I did not harvest any algae before the pictures were taken so that others can see this is a normal part of the tank maturing process.

FTS (hard to get because room is narrow)

FTS_PV_zps0wjwd2xp.jpg~original

Left end of the tank

Left_PV_zpsdf8thked.jpg~original

Centre:

Centre_PV_zpsnynsizvw.jpg~original

Right end:

Right_PV_zpsaexagxxu.jpg~original

I started the Aquaforest program at the end of August. I began just using the AF Reef Salt for a few weeks. I did daily water changes of 8 gallons, plus a few 40g water changes. Approximately three weeks ago, I started to add the Coral A,V.B.E (aminos and growth additives) at half the recommended dose. I also started the NP Pro (basically carbon source_ and Pro Bio S (bacteria additive).

There has been substantive growth in a number of corals and follows is one example. The first picture was taken Aug 24 and the second was taken today. (First out of focus, but you can see difference):

Aug 24
Growth_Comp_B_zpszixm6nfc.jpg~original

Oct 31

Growth_Comp_A_zpscn3vqhmf.jpg~original

The colour is more like the first picture, but I am still trying to figure out how to take pictures.

I am getting some nice polyp extension:

Polyp_Ext_B_zpsjakgekkq.jpg~original

Polyp_Ext_A_zpsslw7wfmz.jpg~original

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some random corals that I have:

Cali Tort

Cali_Tort_Oct_31_zpsbgmg0hrf.jpg~original

Fiji Coral from my LFS

Blue_Fiji_Oct_31_zpssafxnlti.jpg~original

Tarantula

Tarantula_Oct_31_zpsbgpy17zt.jpg~original

Sloooow grower 3" tall. Gained 1/2" over the past year:

Stag_Green_ct_31_zpstvssgbpm.jpg~original

Love the red in this. Actually a little darker than the picture.

Red_Fav_Oct_31_zps6hq7illc.jpg~original

I am excited about the following one one. The colour is changing to pink from the green iyou can see in the lower right of the frag. I am looking forward to see what the end result will be.

Pink_Green_Oct_31_zpsmqfysftb.jpg~original

My little monti cap wall with it's resident squatter.

MontiWall_Oct_31_zpsjzbh9edn.jpg~original

Green and red dragon

Green_Red_Dragon_Oct_31_zps7s23b0a2.jpg~original

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug up a few more shots that show the growth. The older photos are not the best, but confirms the corals are growing pretty well. I don't see the growth because I am always looking at them.

Sept 24
Sept_24_D_zps2ykmzkar.jpg~original

Oct 31
Oct_31_D_zps7qaxd1c6.jpg~original

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sept 9 (Cobalt - Front Right)
Sept_9_A_zpsvb8ebkgk.jpg~original

Oct 31 (Cobalt front centre)
Oct_31_A_zpsevljdf79.jpg~original

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monti Wall

Aug 24
Aug_24_E_zpsbm78xpev.jpg~original

Oct 31
Oct_31_E_zpstpmfn83f.jpg~original

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a few pictures today. I mentioned previously that I am having some algae issues. The pictures illustrate this very well. Every few days I will harvest some from hte tank. It is slowly declining with the help of the clean up crew. I did not harvest any algae before the pictures were taken so that others can see this is a normal part of the tank maturing process.

FTS (hard to get because room is narrow)

FTS_PV_zps0wjwd2xp.jpg~original

Left end of the tank

Left_PV_zpsdf8thked.jpg~original

Centre:

Centre_PV_zpsnynsizvw.jpg~original

Right end:

Right_PV_zpsaexagxxu.jpg~original

I started the Aquaforest program at the end of August. I began just using the AF Reef Salt for a few weeks. I did daily water changes of 8 gallons, plus a few 40g water changes. Approximately three weeks ago, I started to add the Coral A,V.B.E (aminos and growth additives) at half the recommended dose. I also started the NP Pro (basically carbon source_ and Pro Bio S (bacteria additive).

There has been substantive growth in a number of corals and follows is one example. The first picture was taken Aug 24 and the second was taken today. (First out of focus, but you can see difference):

Aug 24
Growth_Comp_B_zpszixm6nfc.jpg~original

Oct 31

Growth_Comp_A_zpscn3vqhmf.jpg~original

The colour is more like the first picture, but I am still trying to figure out how to take pictures.

I am getting some nice polyp extension:

Polyp_Ext_B_zpsjakgekkq.jpg~original

Polyp_Ext_A_zpsslw7wfmz.jpg~original

Love the two montis on the left!! Are those butterflies hardy? I love the way they look!

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the two montis on the left!! Are those butterflies hardy? I love the way they look!
I am very happy with the montis. I wanted a space that allows them to grow out and this worked well. The blue is my wife's favourite so I centred it in the tank.

I assume you are referring to the pyramid butterflies. I originally bought 3 but lost 2. I think it was more a qt issue. I think ammonia jumped up before I caught it. I bought 2 more and they have done very well. They eat pellets, frozen and even nibble at algae. They are very peaceful and do not bother any of the corals. The 3 hang together, but the smaller gets reminded by the other 2 that he is bottom of the hierarchy. Nothing that causes damage, just a little chasing. I highly recommend them, especially for those who have a SPS tank.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with the montis. I wanted a space that allows them to grow out and this worked well. The blue is my wife's favourite so I centred it in the tank.

I assume you are referring to the pyramid butterflies. I originally bought 3 but lost 2. I think it was more a qt issue. I think ammonia jumped up before I caught it. I bought 2 more and they have done very well. They eat pellets, frozen and even nibble at algae. They are very peaceful and do not bother any of the corals. The 3 hang together, but the smaller gets reminded by the other 2 that he is bottom of the hierarchy. Nothing that causes damage, just a little chasing. I highly recommend them, especially for those who have a SPS tank.

Did you purchase them locally?

OP
OP
rockworm

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase them locally?
I did. The pyramids seem to be seasonal. I got mine in July (if memory serves me.) I had a standing order for them with my LFS for about 6 months before he could get them from the wholesaler. You probably wont see them again until next summer. There were a number of people (on the various forums) who were looking for them and all seemed to get them around the same time I did.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back