A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - I do not understand this.

Exactly my standpoint as long as it not harm its normal life or you can . If I get a tick on me - I have not automatically a disease even if the ticks around my home carry at least 3 - 4 different pathogens. I have a lot of streptococci and staphylococci. on my skin. I normally do have a lot of wounds on my body - but i normally not get erysipelas - I have get it twice when I was treatíng my skin with strong (very strong) cortisone ointments (cortisone is known for suppressing the immune response)

I´ll think that you describe that chart in an excellent way. It is a individual chart - it is valids for individual fish/pathogens/environment and their individual demands - not the whole population - it could be valid for a population but if so - you need to count in herd immunity in the environmental circle IMO. (among other things)

It could easily explain why a schooling tang can manage bare bottom but a sand sleeping wrase will get a disease in that tank. Just use the chart on an individual level.

My direct response was - do you have a fish from the family Petromyzontinae in the aquarium :D Do you have a cleaner wrasse in your aquarium? There is one blenie that mimic the common cleaner wrasse bit is a scale eater.

Sincerely Lasse
With respect to your response to my question/post - thanks I agree completely

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I firmly believe that overall health and stress levels of the livestock impacts whether a pathogen can propagate into an outbreak (disease). That's pretty much what the chart expresses. I don't QT, but I take some steps to minimize the risk.

I only buy fish locally that have "The Look"... Clear eyes, fat bodies, clear fins, no spots or specs visible, easy respiration, eating like a pig, and exhibiting the right attitude for the specimen. I have refused to buy many specimens I really wanted because they didn't have "The Look". I also buy fish on-line but always WYSIWYG and only if quarantined. It takes me a long time to stock a tank.
I do the old school formalin bath and fresh water dip during acclimation on fish I buy local to reduce the number of parasites being introduced. I also run a UV in hopes it will reduce viral and possibly bacterial pathogens.

I am at the end of the stocking process now. I have maybe three fish left to add. These will be more expensive and sensitive so I'll buy them all from a site that Quarantines.
this is interesting - because - I do not think there was ever in (this area) - an old school formalin dip. You're UV if maintained correctly may very well have helped

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - do they add parasites to their tanks routinely to keep up immunity? Do they QT their fish. I'm only asking because I'm surprised someone who feels so strongly about how cruel QT is would volunteer at an entity that uses those methods. This isn't a trick question - I am really asking - how do they manage Disease/QT in their tanks?
There will be no answer here from the poster - because common sense directly contradicts his opinions

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They pump water right from the Atlantic into most but not all of their tanks. I don't know what they do to their large coral reef tank as I never worked on it yet and have not been there in 2 years. They had me explaining starfish, horseshoe crabs and snails to toddlers which is why I don't go there any more except to my boat because the marina and aquarium is the same owner
OH im sorry - I thought you were relating this to a reef aquarium

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is, you will either QT your fish, or not QT your fish. We all pick our poison and have to live with it. Neither way is right or wrong, its just the choice we make when deciding what we feel is right. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact is, you will either QT your fish, or not QT your fish. We all pick our poison and have to live with it. Neither way is right or wrong, its just the choice we make when deciding. :)
Its a discussion board. we're discussing lol. Its certainly not a settled issue - or should we ask @revhtree to close the thread - You seem to think there is a black/white option here. I humbly disagree

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact is, you will either QT your fish, or not QT your fish. We all pick our poison and have to live with it. Neither way is right or wrong, its just the choice we make when deciding what we feel is right. :)
btw - a smily face emoji doesn't exactly mean anything - if anything - its a kind of sarcastic opinion - as I posted the last time you weighed in

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw - a smily face emoji doesn't exactly mean anything - if anything - its a kind of sarcastic opinion - as I posted the last time you weighed in

I simply give my opinion, you just feel it is something otherwise.

I am just stating that Qt'ing a fish is not that hard to decide. You either will or won't...DID I ever say one is better over the other?

Last edited by a moderator:

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just stating that Qt'ing a fish is not that hard to decide. You either will or won't...DID I ever say one is better over the other?

Well I think it is hard to decide, which is kind of why there are 22 pages in the thread.

“You either will or won’t” is basically true of every single reef decision. You either will or you won’t use a calcium reactor or dose. You either will or you won’t dose nitrates, etc etc.

Whats interesting is the reasons why those decisions get made, which is kind of what we are all discussing. That way we make better decisions for a given situation.

And it also helps inform us all when we’re asked to give advice to new aquarists.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I’ve already found this thread very helpful in my own thinking and clarifying how to think about these thinks. For me I think I’ll definitely be talking to my LFS even more about their experiences and keeping a tab on it more to understand what things I might be exposing my fish to.

So yeah… once again R2R for the win.

:) (Actual happy not sarcastic)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of us folks don't have gigantic, well aged tanks with all the equipment and varied critters like clams. We are humbly trying to keep our fish alive, learn the hobby, enjoy being on R2R and not wipe out our tanks. Bill is correct, each of us ultimately decides whether to take the risk or not.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think it is hard to decide, which is kind of why there are 22 pages in the thread.

“You either will or won’t” is basically true of every single reef decision. You either will or you won’t use a calcium reactor or dose. You either will or you won’t dose nitrates, etc etc.

Whats interesting is the reasons why those decisions get made, which is kind of what we are all discussing. That way we make better decisions for a given situation.

And it also helps inform us all when we’re asked to give advice to new aquarists.
Unfortunately, I can't answer that, as I may have figured out how to win the lottery...LOL!!!

I have no problem with open discussion, as that is what R2R was built on. I became a Mod to support what @revhtree started, and, continues to this day. To have a family friendly open forum were we can discuss topics and learn from each other.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of us folks don't have gigantic, well aged tanks with all the equipment and varied critters like clams. We are humbly trying to keep our fish alive, learn the hobby, enjoy being on R2R and not wipe out our tanks. Bill is correct, each of us ultimately decides whether to take the risk or not.
LOL, I feel ya on the well aged tank theory. I am currently battling a newer 225 gal tank, with little, BUT , some success. I learn, and equally feel stupid, every day in this hobby. That's the thing though, we are ALWAYS learning. I wish their was a 1-10 step method on how to actually start a tank, and it be 100 percent successful, BUT :( , their isn't. I am asking a well know, and respected friend, on how to start a scientific experiment, on something that I feel will help others when having issues with Dino's, as I am currently. That's what we reefers and R2R is about, to further the hobby. I don't care who you are in this hobby, none of use know 20 percent of the actual science behind it. I have a saying that has served me well...The more I learn the less I know!!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious @Paul B do the pump it directly in - or some kind of filtration.
I think they just use sand filtration but if I can ever wedge my way in to the tank part of the place, maybe I can find out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I will just repeat what I said: "btw - a smily face emoji doesn't exactly mean anything"

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @Lasse is a mod - and I believe I have agreed with time multiple times on this thread alone
Nope I´m not and I will not either be it in the future. - I´m a member (not very active) in the reef squad which purpose is to welcome new members (or it have developed to be their purpose) I´m sorry to say - I can´t help you in this case @MnFish1 :D:D:D:D:D.

Sincerely Lasse

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is interesting - because - I do not think there was ever in (this area) - an old school formalin dip. You're UV if maintained correctly may very well have helped

Formalin dips were a common remedy many people used way back before the internet existed. I used them and they were effective.

You used to be able to buy it through many aquarium mail order stores, but I think it was banned as a retail product.

They fell out of favor as if not done correctly you could kill fish and other remedies were found to be more useful without so much danger.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin needs to be fresh. There should not on any circumstances show any white precipitation in the storage bottle. In that case - Paraformaldehyde has been formed and it is very toxic for fish. Fresh formalin is very effective to a lot of external pathogens but be careful that there is no white precipitation in the bottle.

Sincerely Lasse

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it though that Marine Velvet isn’t a major problem in the worlds oceans?
Pretty simple: knowledge of the parasite cycle and application it to a confined system.

Dilution/ die off from failure to find host. Vs a box of water that the parasite can explode in.
2 cyst burst releasing 1million babies. 1 burst in the ocean, 1 in your aquarium. How many of those 1 million in the ocean will find a host, vs in your aquarium......
Agree.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back