A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin needs to be fresh. There should not on any circumstances show any white precipitation in the storage bottle. In that case - Paraformaldehyde has been formed and it is very toxic for fish. Fresh formalin is very effective to a lot of external pathogens but be careful that there is no white precipitation in the bottle.

Sincerely Lasse

I’d also add that formalin (formaldehyde) has been shown to have immunosuppressive effects in both humans and fish.

https://www.int-res.com/articles/ab2010/10/b010p241.pdf

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-72502-9

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3493854/

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Formalin needs to be fresh. There should not on any circumstances show any white precipitation in the storage bottle. In that case - Paraformaldehyde has been formed and it is very toxic for fish. Fresh formalin is very effective to a lot of external pathogens but be careful that there is no white precipitation in the bottle.

Sincerely Lasse
Don't they use that to make lutefisk (it tastes that way:):):)..... well - at least they have no parasites!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not? A lot of “famous” people on youtube like reef dork, inappropriate reefer, and fish of hex dont quarantine their fish and they have proof of how successful their reef tanks are.

Based on my experience I am an advocate of 1-4 months of quarantining your fish, because i have personally lost thousands and thousands of dollars after not quarantining before on my Fowlr and my nano reef years back.

Now once again I am seeing a lot of people not quarantining fish. I just started my new aquarium and I heard before that I should quarantine before putting it on my DT but what if there are 0 live stocks in there other than a quarantined sps and CUC.

I haven’t bought a fish in quite some time because my tank is full of happy healthy fish most of which I have had for 3-4 years.

I chose to QT my fish and it worked for me. There are several vendors out there currently that offer quarantined fish. Honestly I went against my own rules and fairly recently dunked a gem tang from one of those vendors directly into my tank thanks to @4FordFamily :). I would say they had a solid process because all of my non-immune clean box fish stayed parasite free with the addition.

Its a matter of doing research and picking s method that works best for you and carrying it out, there will almost definitely be hurdles along the way no matter which route you may choose…. Wish you the best of luck!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - we have two 1500 gallon reef tanks, but the rest of the 150k gallons is fish only. That is pretty standard. Four exceptions I know of are the large reefs at Long Island Aquarium, Burger Zoo, Georgia Aquarium and California Academy of Sciences. I think those range from 20,000 to 200,000 gallons.
Jay
Do you notice any differences in fish care between the artificial reef inserts and the actual reef tanks (when you say reef is there any live rock from the ocean in the displays)?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a real world example! Checking my fish like I do about everyday my rabbitfish (I call him Peter) has this on his side just today, which given is a circle is almost certainly an injury (I have no idea what he got into).

91056648-9E1F-4CDE-9942-0837378F1470.jpeg

My treatment is going to be to feed him more algae, and some selcon soaked food.

Sometimes I see stuff like this in other forum posts and people immediately move the fish or begin treating. I don’t think that’s a great idea.

I’ve had other fish develop problems, like my fairy wrasse developed pop eye. The blue chromis showed a few spots shortly after introduction that I couldn’t identify. Powdered blue tang had Ich. In all cases I simply made sure to keep the fish well fed, check them every day and make sure I minimized stress (like no intense tank cleaning etc).. and every one healed.

I think part of the issue is that sometimes we don’t talk about how hardy these fish can be. I know when I first started I was terrified thinking my fish would all be covered with spots and die because of reading so many disease threads.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I do believe a lot of it comes down to experience. Getting into the hobby is easy. Really knowing what it takes to make a thriving healthy tank can be a lot harder.

Not sure who would advise moving this fish for what is probably a bite. It doesn’t look infected or particularly deep. I think even QT people would leave the fish be. There’s just not much to treat. I don’t take antibiotics for every cut I get.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice any differences in fish care between the artificial reef inserts and the actual reef tanks (when you say reef is there any live rock from the ocean in the displays)?
Yes, our reefs are made with cultured live rock from Florida that was kept submerged during transport (it even had a few fish hiding in it that made the trip).

I can't really say if there is a difference in longevity or anything directly pertaining to the different systems. There are other variables; the species are different, the bioload is vastly different, as is the diet. All fish were thoroughly quarantined in the same fashion.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you treat the cultured rocks for "sleeping" parasites and hitchikers (like the hidden fish) ?

Sincerely Lasse
It was simple but time-consuming. This rock was cultured in 60’ of water on stakes in the Atlantic. This avoids much of the fouling algae seen in inshore live rock. The rock was then transported by truck in tanks of water. The rock was then placed into to a 4000 gallon system. We then held it there for four months, while we removed fish and other hitchhikers. Then, we moved the rock to the two exhibits for another two months. We then began stocking corals, finally adding quarantined fish. The only unwanted critters that made it through were two mantis shrimp. No Aiptasia anemones at all. The only drawback was that the rock arrived with encrusting stony corals - the one legal way to get Atlantic corals. However, they of course didn’t survive the depuration process. I suppose we could have broke them off and moved them to a propagation tank, but we were pretty busy at the time.
Jay

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple question - which wanted critters did survive this if you stony corals die? I suppose no light - no food production - most critter in the lower food web dead?

And as I know about CITES - if there is a stony coral growing on a man made rock - the whole rock is seen as a CITES object directly.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple question - which wanted critters did survive this if you stony corals die? I suppose no light - no food production - most critter in the lower food web dead?

And as I know about CITES - if there is a stony coral growing on a man made rock - the whole rock is seen as a CITES object directly.

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse,
CITES does not enter into this because that only deals with international shipments and this was inter-state. The ESA could be involved if Acropora palmata or cervicornis were present, but they were not.
In regards of what organisms survived the process and what was removed, obviously there is overlap, so by excluding some detrimental species, we lost beneficial species with similar requirements. Light was the main limiting factor.
Jay

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - i not get this - put a lot of effort to get living rocks - cure them in a way that what´s remain is previous living rocks (dead rocks). Why not get dry rocks already from the beginning ? For me - the benefic with living rocks are all life it brings into my reef - but that´s me.

Sincerely Lasse

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - i not get this - put a lot of effort to get living rocks - cure them in a way that what´s remain is previous living rocks (dead rocks). Why not get dry rocks already from the beginning ? For me - the benefic with living rocks are all life it brings into my reef - but that´s me.

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse, the rock maintained a great variety of life, just not photosynthetic organisms. Back the day, people would throw live rock damp in a box and ship it across the world, then soak it in a garbage can filled with seawater until it stopped smelling. This rock was never exposed to such extremes. Some soft corals did fine, as did all manner of forams, sponges and other life. It worked out really well compared to other options.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse,

I found an old photo of one of our reefs with the cultured live rock in it. This is from 2016, so one year after opening and two years after adding the live rock. It has filled in a lot more in the past five years. The two large corals, center and right were grown in a different system and then moved into this exhibit.

2016 TZ reef.jpg

Here is the company that supplied us with the rock Tim Birthisel is the son of one of our Zoo volunteers, he has worked with Bowling Green State University and us:

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse,

I found an old photo of one of our reefs with the cultured live rock in it. This is from 2016, so one year after opening and two years after adding the live rock. It has filled in a lot more in the past five years. The two large corals, center and right were grown in a different system and then moved into this exhibit.

2016 TZ reef.jpg

Here is the company that supplied us with the rock Tim Birthisel is the son of one of our Zoo volunteers, he has worked with Bowling Green State University and us:

Jay
Nice tank. What are those vertical lines in the blue background?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Here is an even older photo, of our 1999 reef made with stacked dry rock. While it ended up looking nicer than this, you can see why I opted to go with cultured live rock this time around!

1999 reef ex.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back