A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. What are those vertical lines in the blue background?
The lines aren't nearly as visible in real life, the flash makes them stand out. What that is are custom plastic sheets set in runners. Rather than scrubbing the coralline off the background, we have two sets of backdrops that fit in four sections. While one set is in the tank, the other has been washed with hydrochloric acid and is waiting to be swapped in. The two reef tanks are identical, so we really only need three sets of backgrounds...two in use and one cleaned and waiting to go.

We can't let coralline grow all over everything like you can in a home aquarium - the public just doesn't understand, and thinks it looks "dirty". Before I had these built, I watched one of my aquarists spend 45 minutes cleaning about one square foot of the tank's epoxy back with with a TOOTHBRUSH! There is no way I could let that go on..... $700 per set for these.

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lines aren't nearly as visible in real life, the flash makes them stand out. What that is are custom plastic sheets set in runners. Rather than scrubbing the coralline off the background, we have two sets of backdrops that fit in four sections. While one set is in the tank, the other has been washed with hydrochloric acid and is waiting to be swapped in. The two reef tanks are identical, so we really only need three sets of backgrounds...two in use and one cleaned and waiting to go.

We can't let coralline grow all over everything like you can in a home aquarium - the public just doesn't understand, and thinks it looks "dirty". Before I had these built, I watched one of my aquarists spend 45 minutes cleaning about one square foot of the tank's epoxy back with with a TOOTHBRUSH! There is no way I could let that go on..... $700 per set for these.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal This is really interesting because I need to do the same thing for my tank. How did you get the sheets to stay on the back? Mine keeps floating around on the bottom edges. A fish could fit behind if it wanted to.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn’t qt my fish that I added to my tank around two years ago I only have 4 but I want new ones and I can not risk harming them. I love them and hope to have them even longer than 2 years. It’s up to you though.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread shows my present workplace - what we accomplish before 2019 and what we are up to today. And this with a total opposite way of thinking how to handle a living reef. The new 166 000 gallon reef tank will be constructed with both dead rocks, living rocks (not cured the american way) and all of our present rocks. It will take us some years after the opening of the aquarium (planned to happen late 2022 ) before we have a good looking tank. Yes i know how much work it will be - you do not need to tell me that, It is my second public aquarium since 2001 where I participate in the building and running, and as soon it is opened, I try to retire for the second time :cool:

Here is our last started tank ( started around 2017) 2019 before it was taking down and the animals transported to the temporary local awaiting the large tanks opening. It was 6 000 gallons

1629193769827.png

1629193828110.png

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an even older photo, of our 1999 reef made with stacked dry rock. While it ended up looking nicer than this, you can see why I opted to go with cultured live rock this time around!

1999 reef ex.jpg
This totally reminds me of a late 80's, early 90's stacked wall of rocks that was common in those days. Hate to say it, but that is one UGLY reef! Could just be the photo, but it's all green an drab yellow. lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just talking to someone how there should be acrylic or such inserts you can just remove and clean and replace to make managing coralline easy. Glad to see something like it in use.

Maybe that can be the next thing to add to all these mass produced rimless tanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m also interested of the acrylic sheet solution

Sincerely Lasse
Just to clarify - this isn't acrylic, it is an ABS plastic. The person who made these for us is an acrylic tank manufacturer and he said acrylic would be too heavy and too brittle. This material is about 1/8" and very flexible.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal This is really interesting because I need to do the same thing for my tank. How did you get the sheets to stay on the back? Mine keeps floating around on the bottom edges. A fish could fit behind if it wanted to.
We have had issues with fish getting behind the insert, and also out the overflow at the top. The insert itself is held in place with a series of braces - pretty complicated.

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had issues with fish getting behind the insert, and also out the overflow at the top. The insert itself is held in place with a series of braces - pretty complicated.

Jay
Thank you so much jay. I’m going to do this method. Most public aquariums have inserts that go inside the tank. They don’t have time for scraping, knocking down corals, and imperfect work.

I personally have custom made acrylic 1/8 sheets and they work really well but I wasn’t able to figure out how to attach them until now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much jay. I’m going to do this method. Most public aquariums have inserts that go inside the tank. They don’t have time for scraping, knocking down corals, and imperfect work.

I personally have custom made acrylic 1/8 sheets and they work really well but I wasn’t able to figure out how to attach them until now.
Here are some random shots of our backdrop, in case they give you any ideas:

P8170155.jpg
P8170157.jpg
P8170156.jpg

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not? A lot of “famous” people on youtube like reef dork, inappropriate reefer, and fish of hex dont quarantine their fish and they have proof of how successful their reef tanks are.

Based on my experience I am an advocate of 1-4 months of quarantining your fish, because i have personally lost thousands and thousands of dollars after not quarantining before on my Fowlr and my nano reef years back.

Now once again I am seeing a lot of people not quarantining fish. I just started my new aquarium and I heard before that I should quarantine before putting it on my DT but what if there are 0 live stocks in there other than a quarantined sps and CUC.
Man with about 100 videos on quarantine people still think I don't? :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man with about 100 videos on quarantine people still think I don't? :)
Well in original post was your name and 2 others and you saying you do quarantine and appropiate reefer says he buys quarantine fiah i believe he said so thats 2 out of 3 that either buy qt fish or do it themselves. All we need is reef dork to say he also quarantine then the 24 pages and 472 posts ( well i wont say ) but guess alot good information on to qt or not to qt so others can decide which way to go and btw you do some good videos which ive watched so thanks for making ^_^

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not?" ---- per OP

I have been trying to wrap my head around this thought, reading and gathering as much information from life long hobbyist and marine biologist alike. While the idea runs deep with Subjective Reasoning, two Objective Rationales stand out to me.

Pro QT; There are proven medications for managing parasites and infections.
No QT; Fish deal with parasites and infections equally successful, if not more so, by themselves in a natural setting.

Two primary Subjective thoughts

Pro QT; Quarantining all your tanks inhabitants, and starting out with a "sterile" tank will ensure a long lasting healthy system.
No QT; Cycling a tank is relatively basic, and can be successful when established guidelines are followed.

My personal "opinions" on the above Subjective thoughts are, it is 100% impossible to sustain a parasitic free and an infection free tank. Never going to happen. Also, "cycling" a tank for 2 months until Nitrate levels of 0-40 PPM are reached, or even 6 months until Coralline Algae grows, will never produce a tank even remotely close to a natural setting.

While I realize there are no certainties with either techniques, I like the approach often cited "Nothing Good Happens Fast in a Reef Tank". I have successfully had Freshwater Tanks in the past, but don't consider much of the experiences will be very helpful in keeping a Reef Tank. My plans are to have a small, limited and utilitarian system for at least 12 months before going with full BioLoad.

Regardless of which side you lean towards, I don't think anyone could argue the importance and benefits of a "Stress Free Tank"!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
"Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not?" ---- per OP

I have been trying to wrap my head around this thought, reading and gathering as much information from life long hobbyist and marine biologist alike. While the idea runs deep with Subjective Reasoning, two Objective Rationales stand out to me.

Pro QT; There are proven medications for managing parasites and infections.
No QT; Fish deal with parasites and infections equally successful, if not more so, by themselves in a natural setting.

Two primary Subjective thoughts

Pro QT; Quarantining all your tanks inhabitants, and starting out with a "sterile" tank will ensure a long lasting healthy system.
No QT; Cycling a tank is relatively basic, and can be successful when established guidelines are followed.

My personal "opinions" on the above Subjective thoughts are, it is 100% impossible to sustain a parasitic free and an infection free tank. Never going to happen. Also, "cycling" a tank for 2 months until Nitrate levels of 0-40 PPM are reached, or even 6 months until Coralline Algae grows, will never produce a tank even remotely close to a natural setting.

While I realize there are no certainties with either techniques, I like the approach often cited "Nothing Good Happens Fast in a Reef Tank". I have successfully had Freshwater Tanks in the past, but don't consider much of the experiences will be very helpful in keeping a Reef Tank. My plans are to have a small, limited and utilitarian system for at least 12 months before going with full BioLoad.

Regardless of which side you lean towards, I don't think anyone could argue the importance and benefits of a "Stress Free Tank"!
In a “natural setting” being considered the ocean! Not a 7x3x3 closed ecosystem. I have been the one to run UV and feed quality variety foods and it just happened to be that ich finally caught up to me. There went my pets. Hopefully ppl do the right thing and QT but if you don’t, to each it’s own. There’s so much lessons learned from others why would anyone want to try go against the odds? Yes there’s people who don’t quarantine that’s cool. But the ones who dont and aren’t successful ? Your pets have to pay the price? That’s up to every reefer to decide…

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a “natural setting” being considered the ocean! Not a 7x3x3 closed ecosystem. I have been the one to run UV and feed quality variety foods and it just happened to be that ich finally caught up to me. There went my pets. Hopefully ppl do the right thing and QT but if you don’t, to each it’s own. There’s so much lessons learned from others why would anyone want to try go against the odds? Yes there’s people who don’t quarantine that’s cool. But the ones who dont and aren’t successful ? Your pets have to pay the price? That’s up to every reefer to decide…
IMO and experience you are mixing not QTing with doing
..well nothing.

This is not the case. If you read Paul Bs methods, my methods and that of a few more we do do things to ensure our tanks, well fish if not tanks are kept healthy and disease free.

I am not going to go through those methods again but just to say our methods have been perfected over a number of years and have proven results. Sure we have our difference but the basics remain the same.

Our methods are aimed at keeping our fish disease and parastite free even if they exist in our tanks which I am not sure if they do or not. If they do then for how long without showing any signs of them being present.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All anyone has to do to test the matured reef idea is simply buy fifty pounds of your lfs’s best display rock. Offer them enough, they’ll sell it, cart it home to a tank of water, you now have a reef as old as that lfs display was

relocating to home did not reset a single thing, the reef tank isn’t it’s glass, it’s the rock and that which rock supports directly and indirectly

buy a mix of lfs fish and add them to a live rock skip cycle…80% are dead in 8 months, source for claims all recent pages of the fish disease forum.
this debate thread started in may

and in nov things are worse, not better, the only two schools of thought in play are:

1. I do want to be part of the largest waste of fish practice in this hobby, by promoting any form of non qt non fallow setup

2. I can read the fish forum, I’m aware the problem is worse even in live rock skip cycle setups, I’ll advocate qt and fallow because whatever way I may have chosen doesn’t constitute how the public would turn out. Viva quarantine. They say viva quarantine specifically

cycling doesn’t kill the most fish

ground issues and voltage doesn’t kill the most fish in a home

what kills the most fish by buckets daily in the home is non prep disease loss, to the tune of 90% of losses is my projection

we are too spoiled, to have access to this many fish to kill and debate about

I wish they all cost $700 apiece then our standards of care would rise nicely.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine at the moment but I also have a small tank with not many fish. To be totally honest I have never quarantined.

With that said, if I was setting up a large Fowler system with lots of fish (some expensive), I would spend the extra couple hundred dollar to properly quarantine them. I also used to be against quarantining corals but I’ve warmed up to the idea of it

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you, would you guarantee a fellow reefer that by quarantining everything, sustained success could be had with pest and infection free fish? I have not been able to find such a statement anywhere on this forum. I think there are benefits, perhaps "hybrid" concepts that can be used from both sides of the argument. If we think doing everything within our power to maintain healthy tanks is important, then do everything.
as someone with limited experience, I don't wish to belong to any "club" other than the Happy Fish Club governed by the fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back