OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure that's going to help when alk is off its hard to keep other parameters in check and Stoney corals hate it that low good stuff they should recover
Okay thank ya. Im just worried because this has been going on and thy are still mad, and now I have bad algae

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your point of sale? Do you run a fuge or gfo?
he just added a bunch of light so the algae is growing like mad and his nutrints are probably sinking like a stone. Thats a good thing... Just need to scrub the algae out. Like it was a refugium.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reddish/brown algae. Corals are just still receded. It's an AIO tank and so I just have the refugium in the back and I do not run gfo
cyano. keep at it. some water changes and keep the detritus down in the back chambers.. it should burn itself out.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he just added a bunch of light so the algae is growing like mad and his nutrints are probably sinking like a stone. Thats a good thing... Just need to scrub the algae out. Like it was a refugium.
Its good? Like I said I was told to switch straight to blues, cut the whites. Is it safe to do that and just cut the whites at once?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll likely need to beef up your clean up crew, because now that you have light and nutrients available, other simple organisms present will exploit them too. It's ok, you just need to work your way through them and you will end up with a clean tank that's well balanced and everything is growing.

Your current clean up crew is probably greatly outmatched since they were in a very low nutrient system where there wasn't much available to support much microflora. ;) Basically what we have done is introduced all the neccisarry ingredients for life to flourish and it is! You're corals will follow suit. You just have to get through the uglies first.

One of the best things against the brown crud in my opinion are the dwarf cerith snails. (Diversity in a CUC is one of the most overlooked things in our hobby, I feel).

You're getting there and making progress!

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll likely need to beef up your clean up crew, because now that you have light and nutrients available, other simple organisms present will exploit them too. It's ok, you just need to work your way through them and you will end up with a clean tank that's well balanced and everything is growing.

Your current clean up crew is probably greatly outmatched since they were in a very low nutrient system where there wasn't much available to support much microflora. ;) Basically what we have done is introduced all the neccisarry ingredients for life to flourish and it is! You're corals will follow suit. You just have to get through the uglies first.

One of the best things against the brown crud in my opinion are the dwarf cerith snails. (Diversity in a CUC is one of the most overlooked things in our hobby, I feel).

You're getting there and making progress!
Okay sweet! I just want my corals to start getting better

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only know that they need. I've had issues with an acan receding as of late myself. We've also got an extra noggin with feet walking around the house so there's that. I'm in agreement with Rick about a cuc and nutrient levels. It's tricky to get it under control without aeration from a scrubber of some sorts.

Test your change water. Have you introduced new rock lately? The doc has stated before that engineered rock can sometimes leach silicate so I'd test for that as well. Sorry you're still going through this. It doesn't sound like brown jelly since there's no visible mucus sloughing off..

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only know that they need. I've had issues with an acan receding as of late myself. We've also got an extra noggin with feet walking around the house so there's that. I'm in agreement with Rick about a cuc and nutrient levels. It's tricky to get it under control without aeration from a scrubber of some sorts.

Test your change water. Have you introduced new rock lately? The doc has stated before that engineered rock can sometimes leach silicate so I'd test for that as well. Sorry you're still going through this. It doesn't sound like brown jelly since there's no visible mucus sloughing off..
I added a piece of rock a while back lile maybe two or three months ago. It first got covered in algae and now it has coraline growing on it. Should they be able to test all those things as suggested by yall at one of my lfs?

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man so I ramped up the kessil only twice, I've been dosing what needs to be dosed, and increased feeding. Im having algae blooms like crazy...I scrub the glass and within a few hours its covered again....what's going on now? Corals are still upset a bit as well
What % are you running the color on the Kessil?

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of nutrients, need some phosphate, <0.1 and nitrate, <10, work for me. They need to eat.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back