OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall my acans are still shrinking and my hammers wont open all the way, it is really worrying me now

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is starving them out or they have disease. Are your parameters the same? Have you inspected the coral outside the tank?

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is starving them out or they have disease. Are your parameters the same? Have you inspected the coral outside the tank?
I havent inspected them outside the tank but I dont think I have a disease or anything...I feel like the Phosphates and Nitrates being 0 is hurting them...

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try dosing NO3. There's a thread here on dosing Potassium nitrate sold as spectracide stump remover. That's what i would do. :)
I get scared doing stuff like that lol. I started feeding heavy like a half cube to a whole cube of brine shrimp every night. If that doesn't help then should I dose NO3?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get scared doing stuff like that lol. I started feeding heavy like a half cube to a whole cube of brine shrimp every night. If that doesn't help then should I dose NO3?

If you feel it is the problem. Then it is worth doing. You can try and feed more, but feeding more takes time, it also doesn't exactly equal NO3. Where as adding an elemental form of nitrate is easily measurable and controllable. I know, it is a lot to swallow, going to the store, buying stump remover, mixing it with water and then dumping some of it in your reef tank. It goes against everything, everyone has ever told you.

If you do your research you will actually see that Spectracide stump remover is a very pure form of KNO3. The added potassium is such a minute quanitity that it's negligiable.
(Potassium is also needed in the reef aquarium)

You can also dose phosphates, but there isn't a thread for that. :)

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel it is the problem. Then it is worth doing. You can try and feed more, but feeding more takes time, it also doesn't exactly equal NO3. Where as adding an elemental form of nitrate is easily measurable and controllable. I know, it is a lot to swallow, going to the store, buying stump remover, mixing it with water and then dumping some of it in your reef tank. It goes against everything, everyone has ever told you.

If you do your research you will actually see that Spectracide stump remover is a very pure form of KNO3. The added potassium is such a minute quanitity that it's negligiable.
(Potassium is also needed in the reef aquarium)

You can also dose phosphates, but there isn't a thread for that. :)
So this is honestly the easiest way to go?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works. There's a thread on another site that explains the entire procedure, read the entire thing if you find it. If not, I'll DM the link to you.

You'll need a mortar and pestle if available. If not, you can use the back of a spoon to crush the granules into a fine powder. I think one teaspoon makes 16 ounces, but I'm probably incorrect and need to go re read.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty easy if you follow the recipe, some simple math and you'll know how much to add to equal 1ppm of NO3 in your tank. Then it is just a matter of dosing it daily until your tank stabilizes and stays about where you want it too be. You have to test daily too. Once your tank starts holding the NO3 in the system you don't have to add anymore, unless your tank consumes it over time. Then you may have to add more.

You can still increase your feeding. You are basically using the potassium nitrate to get yourself out of jam. Test NO3 and PO4 frequently, that way you can add NO3 as needed and adjust your feedings to help. I hope this helps.

Here's the thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...over-dosing-steps.215730/page-29#post-3427015

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'd also like to add, that over feeding usually doesn't make the nitrate level rise in enough time to correct certain things, however dosing nitrate will immediately create a level that's detectable and from what I've been reading is beneficial within the correct parameters.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works. There's a thread on another site that explains the entire procedure, read the entire thing if you find it. If not, I'll DM the link to you.

You'll need a mortar and pestle if available. If not, you can use the back of a spoon to crush the granules into a fine powder. I think one teaspoon makes 16 ounces, but I'm probably incorrect and need to go re read.

It's 2 tablespoons per 16 oz (about 473ml). I just use 2 tablespoons per 500ml of DI water. I don't crush the crystals just put them in a jar with a nice tight lid and shake until they dissolve. It doesn't take but 2 shakes. 10ml of the solution will raise the NO3 by about 1.5 ppm in 80gallons of water :)

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much reading, the words are falling out of my nose. [emoji85][emoji87][emoji86]
Hey man so I ramped up the kessil only twice, I've been dosing what needs to be dosed, and increased feeding. Im having algae blooms like crazy...I scrub the glass and within a few hours its covered again....what's going on now? Corals are still upset a bit as well

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back