OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with getting that stable. Small, slow changes are key. You've been given many ideas don't go trying them all at once you'll do more harm than good.
What do you think I should start with? By the way my temperature is 74...

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran into a similar issue. I think mine started receding when I stopped target feeding them and lowered the overall nutrients in the tank. I started target feeding them again and it looks like they are all improving.

I've had the same amount of light when they were thriving and receding. I've been running t5's 7 hours a day.
I run my kessil from 7am to 2pm, I have it cut off for a few hours and then it comes on again from 5pm to 9pm. I did it to reduce algae because it was suggested to me...should I change the schedule?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting your temperature stable, swings can cause problems especially if it's colder. I once had a heater die and I didn't have my hands in the tank for a few days to notice. Temp dropped from 80 to 70 and even bringing it back up slowly made things quite mad for over a week. I'd say just keeping it at 75 and stable should help for now. I like to run it near 78 or 80 but 75 is good, just make sure it isn't going up or down too much. Any other changes?

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting your temperature stable, swings can cause problems especially if it's colder. I once had a heater die and I didn't have my hands in the tank for a few days to notice. Temp dropped from 80 to 70 and even bringing it back up slowly made things quite mad for over a week. I'd say just keeping it at 75 and stable should help for now. I like to run it near 78 or 80 but 75 is good, just make sure it isn't going up or down too much. Any other changes?
Not that I know of...I run a weird light schedule

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep it around 75

When I set my current system up I kind of thought the same thing. I figured the house never got above 77 and never below 74 so all should be good. Never got anything to grow until I stabilized it at 77.3 using the controller. It'll climb to 79 sometimes, but never below 77.3. Everything is really healthy now that I've come back into the understanding of these sorts of things.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set my current system up I kind of thought the same thing. I figured the house never got above 77 and never below 74 so all should be good. Never got anything to grow until I stabilized it at 77.3 using the controller. It'll climb to 79 sometimes, but never below 77.3. Everything is really healthy now that I've come back into the understanding of these sorts of things.
I have a heater in my tank but it's not a real expensive heater. Just a basic aqueon or tetra heater. I forgot the brand

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of...I run a weird light schedule

If you want your light schedule to reflect when you're home, set it to that time period. I run my kessil a total of 11 hours with 90 minute ramps in both directions. Everybody inflates and fleshes out until it finally shut off.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your light schedule to reflect when you're home, set it to that time period. I run my kessil a total of 11 hours with 90 minute ramps in both directions. Everybody inflates and fleshes out until it finally shut off.
So what schedule should I do?

reefguyty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my kessil from 7am to 2pm, I have it cut off for a few hours and then it comes on again from 5pm to 9pm. I did it to reduce algae because it was suggested to me...should I change the schedule?

I'm not sure. I personally don't like to interrupt a light cycle but that's just based on a feeling I have lol.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I haven't done a water change in about three months...all the levels and parameters have been in a good range so that's why I haven't done one...

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I haven't done a water change in about three months...all the levels and parameters have been in a good range so that's why I haven't done one...

Let's get the temperature under control and work on your schedule. The algae is just that, it's algae. It'll be there no matter what. It's the coral we need to concentrate on first.

Have you used the spectral controller for the fixture? Or are you dialing it in and using a timer?

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get the temperature under control and work on your schedule. The algae is just that, it's algae. It'll be there no matter what. It's the coral we need to concentrate on first.

Have you used the spectral controller for the fixture? Or are you dialing it in and using a timer?
I dial it in and use a timer

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back