Acrylic Thickness 30” tall

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

What thickness of acrylic is recommended for a 72” x 48” x 30” tall acrylic aquarium with eurobracing permitter and two cross braces ?

thanks

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 1/8 " if using a top plate , ye ha , u might get away with 1 " if the builder is expert level

Last edited:

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a few things, hole openings for one. You can go as thin as 1/2 nominal on the walls and 3/4 for the top. The top is critical for the integrity of the tank. Yes, with 1/2 inch walls you will get slight flex. 3/4. None. We build 12 to 15 a week in this range. Not as wide as you want though. For that size we would go with 3/4 nominal. Cost is not that much more anything thicker is not necessary.
59EC3CE0-9FF2-43B9-B37D-EF76F60BD01D.jpeg

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

What thickness of acrylic is recommended for a 72” x 48” x 30” tall acrylic aquarium with eurobracing permitter and two cross braces ?

thanks
You could probably get away with 1/4” if you only fill it up 1/2 way. ;)

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thanks
Do not piece the tops! You really want to do a single piece top for this tank. Sounds like you are going to try your hand at a diy. We offer precut diy tanks. Up to 500 gallons. They are intended for maintenance companies and "other" aquarium fabricators Cnc milled to +/-2 mm. If interested pm me.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m aware, the top flange around the perimeter.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is 1" with solid top and routed out access openings. Actual water depth will be less than 28" with overflow and 1" bottom.

Euro bracing can fail at corners or at center support. This is just my experience.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really want a 440 gallons in your living room made with thin acrylic lol , any flex of a box this size looks ridiculous my friend

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really want a 440 gallons in your living room made with thin acrylic lol , any flex of a box this size looks ridiculous my friend
You really seem to know what you are talking about, please keep the comments coming.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reiterating above, minimum 3/4" to avoid any flex. What is not generally considered is due to the refraction properties flat panes on an aquarium magnify what's inside the tank. Going with thicker panels does add to the apperance as everything looks larger inside.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really seem to know what you are talking about, please keep the comments coming.
Good morning. Just for fun, I quoted your tank. With 3/4 inch walls and top, your 449 gallon tank would cost $3,400 plus shipping if we built it. This includes meshless one piece Lexan® lids. All the best.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Just for fun, I quoted your tank. With 3/4 inch walls and top, your 449 gallon tank would cost $3,400 plus shipping if we built it. This includes meshless one piece Lexan® lids. All the best.
Also, one more here. This is a standard size for us. More height and a few gallons less. Make a few of these every year. Discus guys really like this size. It's not always a good idea that thicker is better. Welding thicker panels raise all sorts of issues and very, very few fabricators really know how to do it much less have the equipment to move the thing. If you are considering using someone else and they are recommending thicker than 3/4 inch, ask to see a previous build. You probably won't like the seam quality. Lastly, ask to see a copy of their products liability insurance. Crickets.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I received a quote from your company last week for a 72” x 48” x 18” for $4400 , not sure how this quote for 30” could be $1000 cheaper

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a quote from your company last week for a 72” x 48” x 18” for $4400 , not sure how this quote for 30” could be $1000 cheaper
Because you are dealing with me. The number I gave you is our wholesale price. At any rate we are almost always the lowest price on theee types of tanks.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, one more here. This is a standard size for us. More height and a few gallons less. Make a few of these every year. Discus guys really like this size. It's not always a good idea that thicker is better. Welding thicker panels raise all sorts of issues and very, very few fabricators really know how to do it much less have the equipment to move the thing. If you are considering using someone else and they are recommending thicker than 3/4 inch, ask to see a previous build. You probably won't like the seam quality. Lastly, ask to see a copy of their products liability insurance. Crickets.
Honestly, I am conflicted on how to respond to this as I don't want to offend. However, I am sure all long term companies in the aquarium industry have both the equipment, expertise, experience and insurance necessary to accomplish this rather simple build. Envision, Glass Cages, Advanced Acrylics, and a host of others can pull this off. My company has built many aquariums with 1" or greater in the past and we have one under construction now. It is a rather simple build. Thicker material is just insurance of another kind if you will allow it. If a customer can afford the extra peace of mind why should we discourage them?

Reynolds Polymer just demonstrated what can happen with catastrophic panel failure in Berlin. There is nothing made by human hands that cannot fail even with the best intentions and engineering. Something that should humble us all! I am especially grateful no one died in that example! We could all reflect on the damage that can be done with a large volume of water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back