Acrylic Thickness 30” tall

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

What thickness of acrylic is recommended for a 72” x 48” x 30” tall acrylic aquarium with eurobracing permitter and two cross braces ?

thanks
1-1.25"

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I am conflicted on how to respond to this as I don't want to offend. However, I am sure all long term companies in the aquarium industry have both the equipment, expertise, experience and insurance necessary to accomplish this rather simple build. Envision, Glass Cages, Advanced Acrylics, and a host of others can pull this off. My company has built many aquariums with 1" or greater in the past and we have one under construction now. It is a rather simple build. Thicker material is just insurance of another kind if you will allow it. If a customer can afford the extra peace of mind why should we discourage them?

Reynolds Polymer just demonstrated what can happen with catastrophic panel failure in Berlin. There is nothing made by human hands that cannot fail even with the best intentions and engineering. Something that should humble us all! I am especially grateful no one died in that example! We could all reflect on the damage that can be done with a large volume of water.
Post pics please.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, one last comment from me on this topic. I challenge anyone posting here or anyone they know for that matter to show me ONE example of an aquarium they made from 1-1/4 inch that is only 36 inches tall I want to see that unicorn. Not saying one does not exist, but hey, a pic would be nice. In the 40 plus years we have been doing this, I can count on two hands the tanks we made with greater than 1 inch gauge. And ALL of them were from oversize sheets and 60 inch tall. There is a practical design limit for built and ship tanks. Anything larger is built in place or something like Plywood / fiberglass with viewing panels. Come on guys. One pic. And for @Lowell Lemon, on your pic, why not stick a post it on the tank you are building right now with the name of this thread on it just to keep things authentic?

Last edited:

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting that random internet people say one thing and I have two manufacturing companies agreeing on something different
On any given day, we build more tanks by lunchtime than some of these backyard cowboys do in five years. We have more acrylic aquariums in use than anyone. Our tanks last forever. Back to the thickness hen fight, below is a pic of a 96x30x48. It is a pic of a pic because it was taken pre internet, built in the early 90's for PetSmart. We are the company (and me personally) that designed and built their store systems. We built dozens of those big tanks. They finally stopped using them because of worker's comp liability issues. Store employees had a tough time cleaning and servicing them. Do you notice any bowing or flexing. You don't because there isn't any. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch. We don't build big tall tanks like this very often because we try to talk people out of them. Often they don't know what they are getting into. BTW, do you have door clearance to get yours inside your home? Sometimes people overlook little things like that. Building a tank with 1-1/14 inch thick walls is dang difficult, even for us and we have cranes, lifts and numerous other material handling equipment. Again, I want to see at least one of these unicorn tanks, 72 inches and 30 tall made out of 1-1/4 inch. They don't exist. But...if one does it's like wearing a football helmet to bed every night cause you might bump your head on the nightstand. I am not out to diss anyone here. But when comments such as some of the above are made by people who have never even built what they are claiming to be experts on, it is directly impactful to us and our reputation. All the best.

TENECOR PETSMART 4.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On any given day, we build more tanks by lunchtime than some of these backyard cowboys do in five years. We have more acrylic aquariums in use than anyone. Our tanks last forever. Back to the thickness hen fight, below is a pic of a 96x30x48. It is a pic of a pic because it was taken pre internet, built in the early 90's for PetSmart. We are the company (and me personally) that designed and built their store systems. We built dozens of those big tanks. They finally stopped using them because of worker's comp liability issues. Store employees had a tough time cleaning and servicing them. Do you notice any bowing or flexing. You don't because there isn't any. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch. We don't build big tall tanks like this very often because we try to talk people out of them. Often they don't know what they are getting into. BTW, do you have door clearance to get yours inside your home? Sometimes people overlook little things like that. Building a tank with 1-1/14 inch thick walls is dang difficult, even for us and we have cranes, lifts and numerous other material handling equipment. Again, I want to see at least one of these unicorn tanks, 72 inches and 30 tall made out of 1-1/4 inch. They don't exist. But...if one does it's like wearing a football helmet to bed every night cause you might bump your head on the nightstand. I am not out to diss anyone here. But when comments such as some of the above are made by people who have never even built what they are claiming to be experts on, it is directly impactful to us and our reputation. All the best.

TENECOR PETSMART 4.jpg
Dude that is some marketing technique there!

I have supported you and Tenecor on this forum and referred to your company many times! Now in all fairness I do refer to others who are just as capable as Tenecor to produce a nice aquarium. I mentioned a few here in this post. So just because I have chosen another path on acrylic Guage over the years I am now a backyard cowboy? Nobody has to prove anything to you. You just spoke volumes to the crowd. Good luck with that! I have nothing to prove to you and I would be remiss if I did not mention to everyone here that I used to sell your aquariums to my customers in the Northwest. I even built out a whole store with Tenecor aquariums back in the day. I might even have puctures of that build.

What would a picture prove to you? Nothing, zip, zilch. A wise man once said "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". Pictures of said Unicorn's would not convince you of anything. I used to follow your build specs and I personally prefer thicker Guage that is just my opinion. It is neither a right or wrong just a preference that I shared here with the OP.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I am conflicted on how to respond to this as I don't want to offend. However, I am sure all long term companies in the aquarium industry have both the equipment, expertise, experience and insurance necessary to accomplish this rather simple build. Envision, Glass Cages, Advanced Acrylics, and a host of others can pull this off. My company has built many aquariums with 1" or greater in the past and we have one under construction now. It is a rather simple build. Thicker material is just insurance of another kind if you will allow it. If a customer can afford the extra peace of mind why should we discourage them?

Reynolds Polymer just demonstrated what can happen with catastrophic panel failure in Berlin. There is nothing made by human hands that cannot fail even with the best intentions and engineering. Something that should humble us all! I am especially grateful no one died in that example! We could all reflect on the damage that can be done with a large volume of water.
What happpend in Berlin is completely different from a hobby tank bursting. It's comparing apples and horses. Before pointing fingers at Reynolds, there needs to be a comprehensive investigation into all aspects of that incident.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone is missing the big picture “tenecor” is trying to paint there.. 3/4” acrylic is easily solvent welded and stronger than the plastic it’s self.. when you get over 1” such as 1-1/4” it’s a different machining method used “bevel” and 2 part acrylic monomers which should be annealed for maximum strength. Your average garage guy don’t have access to that! I do it for a living myself signs “not tanks” and have access to everything but a large oven for the annealing process which greatly maximizes the glue joints.. I’ve built tanks up to 500 gallons but never used acrylic over 1” thick myself..

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallons don’t mean anything. What height have you made?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank similar to yours. Dimensions are 72”x54”x30”. 3/4 inch acrylic. Braced on top. Made by Midwest aquariums. It’s been filled for 20 months now and I’ve had no issues, no bowing.
775A26B7-5CD4-4D42-9A18-A19724368BF8.jpeg
30EC8ADB-63B2-4D99-841A-39DFE1E516C0.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallons don’t mean anything. What height have you made?
36” tall with 3/4” acrylic… this was 15 years ago for my own personal display lol

Attachments

• E149EACA-E6C2-4DF4-AF9E-11274C91ACD8.jpeg
    E149EACA-E6C2-4DF4-AF9E-11274C91ACD8.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 75392661-9684-4D02-8C98-0A0DA846B6AC.jpeg
    75392661-9684-4D02-8C98-0A0DA846B6AC.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 61

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you get over 1” such as 1-1/4” it’s a different machining method used “bevel” and 2 part acrylic monomers which should be annealed for maximum strength.
I will beg to differ on this one based on what I've been told by James @ Envision Acrylics - you can solvent weld up to 2" thick material, but you have to allow for extra curing time. Going way back to 3/8" = a week. 1/2" = 2 weeks, 3/4" = 3 weeks, etc. 1" is a month curing time, or more. 2" acrylic needs to cure for 2+ months before you put water in it permanently. That's what is missed by most.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lo
I will beg to differ on this one based on what I've been told by James @ Envision Acrylics - you can solvent weld up to 2" thick material, but you have to allow for extra curing time. Going way back to 3/8" = a week. 1/2" = 2 weeks, 3/4" = 3 weeks, etc. 1" is a month curing time, or more. 2" acrylic needs to cure for 2+ months before you put water in it permanently. That's what is missed by most.
LOL what pray tell are you going to build with two inch walls? Another unicorn tank story.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can solvent weld it! You can solvent weld 6” if you want it’s all acrylic.. it’s trying to get a good clean joint at that thick is very tricky.. almost impossible to get it Bubble free so we switch over to 2 part glues and centrifugal vacuums etc. I solvent weld 1” all the time with no issues for the most part.. if I’m gluing a bottom on a 4x8 tank that’s 1” thick I switch to 40-42 myself.. I’ve solvent welded a couple that size and they came out fine but had a few bubbles here or there.. almost need a second person wicking the joints if they know what they’re doing lol..

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followup LOL. Show me one pic of this two inch unicorn built by this guy. Just one pic.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point is if you build it correctly 3/4 is fine. i tend to agree as i have 2 300 gallon tanks (one is tennecor one was made by zeroedge both , 3/4 and both are at least 25 years old.

i just picked up a used tank (built by a cowboy ) from a local fish shop who just wanted it out... the top was not one piece and guess what, it ended up with a crack in the back for $100 bucks.. its 30 tall 36 wide and 8 feet long 3/4 inch.

i want to put a new back panel on it, and a one piece top.. does tenecor make/sell just those 2 pieces for such a tank..

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point is if you build it correctly 3/4 is fine. i tend to agree as i have 2 300 gallon tanks (one is tennecor one was made by zeroedge both , 3/4 and both are at least 25 years old.

i just picked up a used tank (built by a cowboy ) from a local fish shop who just wanted it out... the top was not one piece and guess what, it ended up with a crack in the back for $100 bucks.. its 30 tall 36 wide and 8 feet long 3/4 inch.

i want to put a new back panel on it, and a one piece top.. does tenecor make/sell just those 2 pieces for such a tank..
25 years old! Outstanding. We can cut the pieces you want to +/- 2 mm but strongly recommend against doing this. Eat the $100 bucks and move on. Btw, NEVER piece together a top. Never.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years old! Outstanding. We can cut the pieces you want to +/- 2 mm but strongly recommend against doing this. Eat the $100 bucks and move on. Btw, NEVER piece together a top. Never.
i mainly was planning to cut it up and use for sumps but figured would ask.
i bought one of thier display tanks , and had room in the trailer and for $100 buck why not right. its alot of acrylic for $100

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mainly was planning to cut it up and use for sumps but figured would ask.
i bought one of thier display tanks , and had room in the trailer and for $100 buck why not right. its alot of acrylic for $100
You can get pretty close to scrap value at that price. For what you want to do, it's a great option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back