AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tigé21v I think that this video should cover most of your questions. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I also included a small update on the build since I have added a door to the fish room and finished up my canopy sections that were unfinished.

Yep. You covered 'em all (for the moment anyway. lol). I'm sure I'll have more. Not sure if I'll ask them or not though, I'm feeling kinda guilty right about now, making you take what little spare time you must have, away from your build to make a video. Everyone following this thread is going to lambast me for holding it up..
I do appreciate you taking the time.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tigÃ[emoji767]21v I think that this video should cover most of your questions. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I also included a small update on the build since I have added a door to the fish room and finished up my canopy sections that were unfinished.

Awesome video

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. You covered 'em all (for the moment anyway. lol). I'm sure I'll have more. Not sure if I'll ask them or not though, I'm feeling kinda guilty right about now, making you take what little spare time you must have, away from your build to make a video. Everyone following this thread is going to lambast me for holding it up..
I do appreciate you taking the time.

Don't feel guilty about asking questions. I am pacing myself with this build and sometimes I get more involved and other times I find its better to take a day off. I plan to try and put out at least one video update per week.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have completed the drain plumbing supports. I used 2x4s and a 4" hole saw to cut out the support braces. It is going to be fun gluing all of these parts together without losing alignment. I think I am going to glue one section at a time. What does everyone think about my pvc assembly plan?
20170216_201519.jpg
20170216_205051.jpg
20170216_205454.jpg
20170216_205853.jpg

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to coat the back of the tanks with a couple layers of pond armor? In my experience working from the back of the tank always creates drips and on untreated wood, that can lead to big problems. Just thought I would ask. I don't think it needs as much as inside the tank but a couple of things coats would work. I used pond armor in my current stand to water proof the bottom and I was pleased at smooth it really is when it dries. It has saved my floors with almost 20 gallons spilling into my stand it was all contained with the pond armor coating! I am a believer and I think I may look at building a plywood tank (or 2) too!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to coat the back of the tanks with a couple layers of pond armor? In my experience working from the back of the tank always creates drips and on untreated wood, that can lead to big problems. Just thought I would ask. I don't think it needs as much as inside the tank but a couple of things coats would work. I used pond armor in my current stand to water proof the bottom and I was pleased at smooth it really is when it dries. It has saved my floors with almost 20 gallons spilling into my stand it was all contained with the pond armor coating! I am a believer and I think I may look at building a plywood tank (or 2) too!

I put three layers of pond armor around each bulkhead. The rest of the untreated wood will be coated with at least 2 layers of oil based primer. I did think about coating pond armor on the entire back of the tank but I think if that much water is getting on the tanks I have a bigger issue. The oil based primer should provide a good level of protection Honestly I really don't like painting so I am waiting until all of my wood working is done before I do anymore painting. I want to finish all of the painting at once this time. If you decide to build a plywood tank let me know. I should be ready to fill in the next few months which will be the big test.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another trip to home Depot today. Hopefully this is the last time i need Lumber supplies for the build.
20170219_152327.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing, what pump are you going to connect to the skimmer body, sorry if you already mentioned this.
The skimmer is going to be gravity fed water from the overflow drain line. The air injection will be driven with a pump though and will use some form of venturi. I am thinking about a DC pump in the 3000GPH range for the skimmer air injection as it should be more than enough power. I am still determining the venturi that will be used as I might make a DIY venturi.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am close to being done with painting. I just have to finish the painting on the tanks and I am ready to move on. Here is the latest video update. I have some products to un-box and another reveal. I should have more stuff coming in next week.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great man! Nice shelf rock!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back