Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those Tunze “macro” scrubbers…while not a ATS per se, in principle: it’s similar…

my take on ATS or similar: no magic bullet and it’s only as good as. your routine maintenance…

My Tunze I’d rate as “ fair” …main issue being. is it requires monitoring & maintenance…

I am thinking about one of those Ice Caps or Clearwater ( which have decent reviews)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaSkeets

I thought it best to address your thread title to you.

Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?​

I don’t use algae scrubbers or protein skimmers to export nutrients, I recycle nutrients into desirable biomass. When I need to export nutrients, I frag and sell coral. It makes room for more coral to grow to sequester more nutrients.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae reactor works similar but needs more physical space to have the same benefit

My sump has plenty of spots for pods it’s loaded with live rock and sand. You could always get pod condos online and toss some in

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS is the first thing to get plumbed in and turned on with any tank I set up. Haven't had a bit of algae in any tank, including my old 800 gallon system. I built my original one way back in the early Santa Monica days but some of the new commercial designs are so much easier to use now.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one of those Tunze “macro” scrubbers…while not a ATS per se, in principle: it’s similar…

my take on ATS or similar: no magic bullet and it’s only as good as. your routine maintenance…

My Tunze I’d rate as “ fair” …main issue being. is it requires monitoring & maintenance…

I am thinking about one of those Ice Caps or Clearwater ( which have decent reviews)

If you have the space and budget, the Clearwater is superior in so many ways. I wish I had the space for one.

I went with an in sump Ice Cap and it’s a rebrand job of a super cheap Chinese company. Does it work? Yes, but the build quality is absolutely horrendous and it must be maintained weekly or the spray bar gets clogged and slows flow way down.

I pray Clearwater brings out a true in sump option so I can switch

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS is the first thing to get plumbed in and turned on with any tank I set up. Haven't had a bit of algae in any tank, including my old 800 gallon system. I built my original one way back in the early Santa Monica days but some of the new commercial designs are so much easier to use now.

Can people post pics of their home made ones?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get an ATS to make much of an impact on my system. I have tried several.

I don't see much compelling evidence to support the idea of growing algae in one place resulting in algae not growing in another - without other actions implemented at the same time.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space and budget, the Clearwater is superior in so many ways. I wish I had the space for one.

I went with an in sump Ice Cap and it’s a rebrand job of a super cheap Chinese company. Does it work? Yes, but the build quality is absolutely horrendous and it must be maintained weekly or the spray bar gets clogged and slows flow way down.

I pray Clearwater brings out a true in sump option so I can switch
Tell me how something is more superior than this

There is no plumbing, no spray bar to clog, zero chance of overflowing or flooding. It’s a true “in sump” design that floats in your sump. I’ve been using it for years and it works great. I harvest algae by the cup full with this

Attachments

• 78A9CF5A-89A5-4A3D-A136-C36712C14733.jpeg
    78A9CF5A-89A5-4A3D-A136-C36712C14733.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 7A2089CF-9AEB-4C5D-8442-4FD562B48188.jpeg
    7A2089CF-9AEB-4C5D-8442-4FD562B48188.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 169
  • B1FC9B75-1512-46A8-ADD1-EFA664533E19.jpeg
    B1FC9B75-1512-46A8-ADD1-EFA664533E19.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 189

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people post about algae issues, most suggestions are to get a clean-up crew (two orders from reefcleaners didn't help me), manual removal (easier said than done and it's not going to remove all of the algae plus it'll probably just grow back), or chemicals (I tried Vibrant and it didn't work, and who really wants to add chemicals anyway?), or a blackout (two blackouts temporarily worked for me, but I doubt my fish/corals enjoyed them very much and waiting those 3 days without really knowing whats going on kinda sucked) There are other suggestions but I think these are the top ones.
Enter an algae scrubber. I put a DIY algae scrubber in my sump about 2 months ago, and my tank is virtually algae free with no signs of it reappearing. My nutrients are good (Nitrates @ 1.0-2.5; Phosphates @ 0.05-0.08). I have a heavily stocked tank and I keep my fish well fed.
It seems that most people that have an algae scrubber swear by them, so why are they not used more?
Is it the cost? Store bought ones are a huge expense, especially not seeing the results with your own eyes. My DIY scrubber probably cost less than $80 and it is probably the best the best thing I have done with my tank

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i say, people should be getting algae scrubbers before they get a protein skimmer, you don’t even need a protein skimmer if you’re running a algae scrubber

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tell me how something is more superior than this

There is no plumbing, no spray bar to clog, zero chance of overflowing or flooding. It’s a true “in sump” design that floats in your sump. I’ve been using it for years and it works great. I harvest algae by the cup full with this

I said nothing about Santa Monica. Haven't used them. Their owner makes it impossible for me to ever support them as a company

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOTH.

I perused some of your threads. Looks like you already posted about this. Glad you are happy with your results.
You are correct. I did already post about my "algae removal success story" but was somewhat surprised that most people still didn't seem interested in an algae scrubber

Algae refugiums aren’t known for their nutrient export.
Not sure what you mean by that. Algae scrubbers are very good at nutrient control provided that remove the algae from it
Pictures of the Algae Scrubber, Plans, what Light do you use, when is it on? I have a bunch of Acrylic Sheet, I’d love to build one, just don’t know how. Also have an RGB COB, that grows algae like mad :( The ones for sale are expensive and don’t impress me on long term usability.
I had an old HOB filter from my Freshwater days. "Stole" a small Finnex grow light from my wife. Used a couple of cable ties to attach the light to a black plastic take-out container. Placed a piece of plastic knitting mesh on the surface of the water and voila!!
Put it in the sump on a plastic cup so the chamber is above the water and then waterfalls back into the sump. Hope this helps!!

It took you three years to get the algae scrubber to fix your problem, or you did all kinds of other stuff to deal with algae and then you added the scrubber and your problems resolved?
Tried to deal with it other ways. I recently put the DIY one in my tank

Attachments

• 20231214_163223.jpg
    20231214_163223.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20231214_163313.jpg
    20231214_163313.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 198

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often think people make the DIY options too complicated than it has to be. If you light an area of the sump over whatever medium you wish to grow algae on, then it’ll grow. Right?

Mostly asking because I kind of want to just throw a cheap bulb over a section of my sump

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often think people make the DIY options too complicated than it has to be. If you light an area of the sump over whatever medium you wish to grow algae on, then it’ll grow. Right?

Mostly asking because I kind of want to just throw a cheap bulb over a section of my sump
I've seen some of the more complicated ones. I really don't think you can get any more simpler than my setup.

I'm not sure if throwing a bulb over a part of the sump would work as good because you still need to remove the algae

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwing a bulb over a section sump is a refugium

A scrubber is a smaller enclosed environment with material for algae to grow on and be removed from easily, that water flows over mixed with light and oxygen. It’s a enclosure that is ideal parameters for turf algae to grow rapidly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i say, people should be getting algae scrubbers before they get a protein skimmer, you don’t even need a protein skimmer if you’re running a algae scrubber

Seems like totally different goals and processes. Like saying if you have a house, no need for a car.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have nothing against an ATS, low nutrients are not, IMO, the best or only road to algae control. Too frequently enough N and P for corals allows algae growth, and going lower hurts corals.

FWIW, some ATS may possibly be limiting algae growth by taking up available iron or manganese, limiting those for pest algae.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are growing algae in one spot, but not another, it is more likely that you have consumers or light differences. If algae can grow in panels in ATS, it can grow in a tank just as easily.
I think the light blasting onto the algae helps it to out compete with the algae that would be in the DT.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back