Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae scrubbers are interesting and they are certainly effective at sucking up nitrate and phosphate. To me algae scrubbers, chaeto reactors, etc seem more effective when the tank is younger. When the tank matures, rocks get covered in coralline and there is a lot of coral biomass, I haven’t found the need for growing algae. I had a large amount of chaeto growing for a long time in my sump, but I removed it middle of last year in favor of a rollermat. I haven’t noticed any difference in algae growth. My herbivores take care 99% of algae that grows in my tank. The stuff they can’t get to, I just hit with a small brush every few weeks.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubbers are interesting and they are certainly effective at sucking up nitrate and phosphate. To me algae scrubbers, chaeto reactors, etc seem more effective when the tank is younger. When the tank matures, rocks get covered in coralline and there is a lot of coral biomass, I haven’t found the need for growing algae. I had a large amount of chaeto growing for a long time in my sump, but I removed it middle of last year in favor of a rollermat. I haven’t noticed any difference in algae growth. My herbivores take care 99% of algae that grows in my tank. The stuff they can’t get to, I just hit with a small brush every few weeks.
Kudoes to this post as it reflects a balanced view that encompasses new to mature tank

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That's exactly it. That is why algae is growing inside my algae scrubber and no where else.
This seems like a mind story - I can't think of a compelling reason to believe that algae growin in one place in a system prevents algae from growing somewhere else. We test water, so the 'nutrients' are all over the system.

Starting a weed area in your garden wont stop weeds from growing somewhere else will it?

Do you have herbivores in the tank?

Last edited:

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a mind story - I can't think of a compelling reason to believe that algae growin in one place in a system prevents algae from growing somewhere else. We test water, so the 'nutrients' are all over the system.

Starting a weed area in your garden wont stop weeds from growing somewhere else will it?

But the lights in the refugium give it a comparative advantage.

Assuming nutrients in the water are a limited resource (the big assumption here) a first order approximation of the amount of algae at each location is that it's proportional to lighting. If your tank has mostly blues and the refugium/ATS has full spectrum or reds/blues, you'd expect the refugium to outcompete the rest of the tank for resources because it has the advantage.

Back to the garden, weeds definitely grow faster in certain areas (light and water dependent) and can most certainly out compete other plants for nutrients in the soil. The analogy is different for reef tanks because the "soil" is all over the tank instead of geographically isolated.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i say, people should be getting algae scrubbers before they get a protein skimmer, you don’t even need a protein skimmer if you’re running a algae scrubber
This I do not understand.
Since installing my ATS my skimmer actually works better.
Skimming and an ATS are two different things.
I don't have a beautiful awesome tank like most of you but I over feed and don't think GFO is cool so the ATS just helps keep things at bay and makes weekly maintenance easier.
I like it, it works good it's quiet and I can't see any harm running one. At least for me.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's another tool in the tool box. I have always tried to harvest algae in some way since I started an aquarium. I have been most successful in doing so with an ATS. Currently running two different kinds of them and both are doing absolutely great. Can see quite a bit of it in "My Tank Thread" link next to my name.

An ATS is not a silver bullet though. I'm glad it's not. I am a weird one that likes algae in my tank. A controlled amount I should say. My tank mates handle that part and look very busy all day grazing. Though I do feed a tremendous amount too.

I also do some other things that work for me and my abilities or enjoyment. Speaking of enjoyment, an ATS is a great source of samples I use to explore under a microscope. The diversity that grows in them is fun to watch and discover.

Overall, Best methods are those you can do consistently over a long period of time.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the lights in the refugium give it a comparative advantage.
I don't see how algae in a different part of the system is competing at all with algae in the display - there are more than enough nutrients available all over the system. If the display can grow coral, it can grow algae...algae is really good at life, much better than coral. Sheltered from herbivores, sure, but then it seems like it is the herbivores are doing the actual work and would do so without the algae somewhere else in the system.
Assuming nutrients in the water are a limited resource (the big assumption here) a first order approximation of the amount of algae at each location is that it's proportional to lighting. If your tank has mostly blues and the refugium/ATS has full spectrum or reds/blues, you'd expect the refugium to outcompete the rest of the tank for resources because it has the advantage.
Algae is really good at life. Algae can live anywhere photosynthetic coral can - and it can even live where coral can't.
Back to the garden, weeds definitely grow faster in certain areas (light and water dependent) and can most certainly out compete other plants for nutrients in the soil. The analogy is different for reef tanks because the "soil" is all over the tank instead of geographically isolated.
Yes, the analogy, like most of analogies, is imperfect. And, the soil being all over the tank supports the idea that algae growing in one part of the system isn't going to stop it from growing in a different part of the system.
:)

Regmanabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your display looks great. Kudus to you.

What is Drop .6?
It's the tiny algae scrubber from santa monica. Started to try a DIY in the intank fuge, but figured I'd give this a go as it's contained and still fits in the fuge without lighting up the whole room. It will also give me enough room left over to do some chaeto or something and have some bio cubes / rock / pod hotel for the pods. I'm hoping it works out, but who knows. Just trying to keep things natural and avoid having to have a skimmer as there's only two that really fit.

And thanks for the kind words about the display! I spent a lot of time crafting rockwork to allow for different things and give everyone, corals and livestock both, a small spot to call home that would suit them and yet have enough empty space for some swimming and such.

Once I start stocking more fish, I really think it's going to work out well. I'm just waiting for the room remodel of the final destination for this tank before going nuts as I'd really like to have more quarantine capabilities than I have in the living room where it's living for the time being. My black ice clown I had for two months got sick and died after we moved it and I'll never be convinced I didn't hurt the poor little guy trying to catch him to pull them out of the tank prior to the move.

Last edited:

Regmanabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Santa Monica scrubber that drops in your tank. Designed to filter for .6 cubes of feeding a day I think

Here is my algae free, skimmer free tank filtered by a sump with 3” sand bed, lots of live rock, 2 bags chemipure, and a Santa Monica scrubber. I use filtered water for freshwater top off mixed with some All For Reef. I haven’t done a water change in over 2 years. Numbers are steady and stable. Corals are thriving. Almost all these were grown from tiny frags

Phosphate - .02-.05
Nitrate 1-3
Temp 77
Alk around 8

34CBBB25-D540-434C-A737-AFE4BAFD9AED.jpeg 28226BC6-DEAD-41EE-90D5-CB9C11DCE533.jpeg BD3089B3-5A1E-4164-9DC8-63ADCC0DF650.jpeg AE018794-CEDB-4159-99C6-6C648F377664.jpeg D62849B1-12F0-423C-ADFD-1E842A38AFA1.jpeg 21904319-C6EC-4582-A85D-87BDC6C32153.jpeg D433CFEB-C1B4-420A-8F3C-48604098A0C7.jpeg

You are living my dream! I'll get there someday too!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is mature and has been running for 8+ years, my rock is 10+ years old

ATS is also efficient in older tanks as it will actually repair phosphate bound rock.

I don’t have herbivore fish at the moment or ever

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's another tool in the tool box. I have always tried to harvest algae in some way since I started an aquarium. I have been most successful in doing so with an ATS. Currently running two different kinds of them and both are doing absolutely great. Can see quite a bit of it in "My Tank Thread" link next to my name.

An ATS is not a silver bullet though. I'm glad it's not. I am a weird one that likes algae in my tank. A controlled amount I should say. My tank mates handle that part and look very busy all day grazing. Though I do feed a tremendous amount too.

I also do some other things that work for me and my abilities or enjoyment. Speaking of enjoyment, an ATS is a great source of samples I use to explore under a microscope. The diversity that grows in them is fun to watch and discover.

Overall, Best methods are those you can do consistently over a long period of time.
Kudoes to this post AND KUDOES to the
Platnium Method:
“Overall, Best methods are those you can do consistently over a long period of time.“

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Once again, then why is it working in MY tank? Why is algae growing in the Algae Scrubber but no where else? And why does algae USUALLY grow more in certain areas of a DT but not in ALL areas?

2. Everything being equal, you're probably right. However, place a certain amount in direct sunlight and another amount in the shade, I guarantee the sunlit weeds will grow faster than the shaded ones. Fair comparison with tank algae? Maybe not.

3. I have snails are crabs, but my fish are all omnivores. I purchase two orders from reef cleaners over the past couple years that didn't put a dent in the algae when I had it in the DT

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Once again, then why is it working in MY tank? Why is algae growing in the Algae Scrubber but no where else? And why does algae USUALLY grow more in certain areas of a DT but not in ALL areas?“

Many things are working together in your tank to achieve homostaties between bacteria, algae and janitors. You are the curator of the tank, yet you do not control, you conduct a complex ecosystem.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? Thanks
When I got the scrubber the company explained it to and told me my problems would appear to get worse, before it got better. A temporary algae bloom after scrubber installation is actually a phase and stage towards improvement

Here’s what happened for me
- all cheato turned white and dued
- all hair algae turned white and dissolved/died.
- rock started having an outbreak of more hair algae because it was bound with phosphates - as the water becomes cleaner and cleaner the rock leaches the stored phosphate out and it becomes hair algae
- new hair algae turned white and died
-hair algae never returned, display rock, sand, etc is clear and clean. Nutrients stabilized
- never had to do a water change, add a chemical or treatment, or anything.
- I grow turf algae in my scrubber and empty every 2-4 weeks
- my display continues to be algae free except I still need to clean glass every few days

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply claimed that it's working for me. And I am convinced that my DT is algae free MOSTLY because of my algae scrubber. Is it objective evidence? Of course not...but how much in the reefing world is objective evidence? Is it working in MY tank because it is supplemental to other things that I tried? Maybe, maybe not. Is it the solution for everyone? Well, apparently not based on alot of the replies on here.

Kind of reminds me of rating on Amazon. How can the same product get 5 star ratings but also get one star ratings? It's about personal expectations and experiences. For me, I give my DIY algae scrubber a 5 star rating

It's working for me. Use my suggestion or don't use my suggestion. I really don't care

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I really don't understand why some of you are so argumentative or skeptical. I simply claimed that it's working for me.”

Look at your thread title. You poked the Bear when you said “more people”! Deal with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I really don't understand why some of you are so argumentative or skeptical. I simply claimed that it's working for me.”

Bull ****. Look at your thread title. You poked the Bear. Deal with it!
What?!?! Too funny.

"Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?" is poking the bear. Riggghht..

Oh Woe is me as I have to "Deal with it"

But you're right. That first sentence did kind of sound like a "poor me". I removed it

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why some of you are so argumentative or skeptical. I simply claimed that it's working for me. And I am convinced that my DT is algae free MOSTLY because of my algae scrubber. Is it objective evidence? Of course not...but how much in the reefing world is objective evidence? Is it working in MY tank because it is supplemental to other things that I tried? Maybe, maybe not. Is it the solution for everyone? Well, apparently not based on alot of the replies on here.

Kind of reminds me of rating on Amazon. How can the same product get 5 star ratings but also get one star ratings? It's about personal expectations and experiences. For me, I give my DIY algae scrubber a 5 star rating

It's working for me. Use my suggestion or don't use my suggestion. I really don't care
I give mine a 5 star also and I’ve been keeping reefs for 23 years and using scrubbers for 8. My experience is the scrubbers work remarkably better than anything else I’ve done and tried and I have the most success with the least amount of manual work on tanks with scrubbers

Cheateo was basically useless for nutrient control. Gfo solidified and would need to be changed every few days. Chemicals had side effects on my corals. Water changes got old because small ones would make no impact and then doing 15+gal water changes weekly was a pain. Pulling algae by hand was like pruning weeds - no thank you. H202 was very effective and I still use it if I need to quickly spot treat a frag.

But installing a scrubber is like having a 24x7 helper at my side keeping my numbers low, stable, and tank algae free. I am 10000% convinced my tank is the way it is because of the scrubber. And I have more proof

About 6 months ago I started having some hair algae pop up in the display. I didn’t understand why. I went to adjust the timer on the scrubber to make it run a little longer and realized my air pump died and the scrubber was basically out of commission. I ordered a pump, and over a few days the hair algae continues to grow more and more. Pump arrived, installed, and in about 2 weeks the algae reversed and went from growing to dying and it vanished and didn’t come back

Zero work from me besides replacing the scrubber air pump. I don’t know how long my pump was broken for before the hair algae started to grow, but I can conclude that scrubber broke - algae came back. Scrubber fixed - algae died and left. Still have not done a water Change (2+ years) and my skimmer has been unplugged for a year

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give mine a 5 star also and I’ve been keeping reefs for 23 years and using scrubbers for 8. My experience is the scrubbers work remarkably better than anything else I’ve done and tried and I have the most success with the least amount of manual work on tanks with scrubbers

Cheateo was basically useless for nutrient control. Gfo solidified and would need to be changed every few days. Chemicals had side effects on my corals. Water changes got old because small ones would make no impact and then doing 15+gal water changes weekly was a pain. Pulling algae by hand was like pruning weeds - no thank you. H202 was very effective and I still use it if I need to quickly spot treat a frag.

But installing a scrubber is like having a 24x7 helper at my side keeping my numbers low, stable, and tank algae free. I am 10000% convinced my tank is the way it is because of the scrubber. And I have more proof

About 6 months ago I started having some hair algae pop up in the display. I didn’t understand why. I went to adjust the timer on the scrubber to make it run a little longer and realized my air pump died and the scrubber was basically out of commission. I ordered a pump, and over a few days the hair algae continues to grow more and more. Pump arrived, installed, and in about 2 weeks the algae reversed and went from growing to dying and it vanished and didn’t come back

Zero work from me besides relaxing the scrubber air pump. Still have not done a water Change (2+ years) and my skimmer has been unplugged for a year
Better be careful. You might be accused of not being objective

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back