Another DIY overflow advice

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google is creating my questions than helping, so Im asking you experts. Ive bought the parts Id need in various sizes, but still not sure which method to use and which size. The most popular method seems to be the King of DIY method with weir. Though almost everyone complains about noise.
Overflow with a U stand pipe is almost as popular.
I also found this floating overflow pipe method, which seems intriguing. But very little info on flow rates anywhere.

So questions are:

1)Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons between the methods? General tips?

2) My "800gph pump" pushes out about 630gph when its mounted 3" bellow then tank.
According to the video 1" the weir method maxes out at 600gph so I have to use 1.25" pvc for the over flow and 2.5" pipe for the weir or risk draining the sump, is that right?

3) I made a non glued version of the floating overflow pipe method using 1/2" tubing, flow rate was about 100gph... can anyone advice or point me to a resource on making an oer flow this method for 600gph+ flow rates?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use any of that crap. Unreliable at best all 3 designs are with no back up if they plug. If your water level is high enough in the DT and that pipe plugs then you are going to have water all over the floor. You want a Herbie or Bean Animal overflow.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank and sump dimensions?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make an overflow buy acrylic and make something like this. I don’t have a picture of the inside box and it’s covered by rock to hide it.

CBBB3E27-D3D5-4304-98CE-643DA3DC9EB9.jpeg

995FD64D-3BE5-4E66-A4E7-626D8B7A3980.jpeg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup currently...
53673272_336631833637796_7023033086791122944_n[1].png

Here is the first DIY overflow I did
diagram.jpg

My main advice is that your weir needs enough space to handle both the Siphon Tube and the water flowing around it. You could maybe push 500 gph with the second overflow photo I show, but you are much safer using a clear U-Tube, like an eshopp's replacement because otherwise you'll never know if you have complete siphon (and complete siphon is critical to preventing bottlenecks, especially at 500 GPH and up.

What exactly did you purchase to build yours? What dimensions are you dealing with?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with going over the top of a tank is a siphon can fail.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unreliable at best all 3 designs are with no back up if they plug. If your water level is high enough in the DT and that pipe plugs then you are going to have water all over the floor.

If any overflow "hole" plugs then the tank will "overflow". It can happen anywhere, the difference with a siphon tube is the "hole in the glass" is extended from the thickness of the glass into a clear plastic tube that is inches long (appx 12+ inches). If someone has 2 or 3 siphon tubes, they can have a herbie or any other type of setup.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with going over the top of a tank vs drilling it is a siphon can fail.

Not if there is enough flow going through the pipe. Siphon's don't "collect" bubbles when there is sufficient flow going through them.

To add, that's to say, yes, they can fail. But I can also fall on the floor by virtue of standing up against gravity. That doesn't mean I wear kneepads because I am afraid it will happen.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any overflow "hole" plugs then the tank will "overflow". It can happen anywhere, the difference with a siphon tube is the "hole in the glass" is extended from the thickness of the glass into a clear plastic tube that is inches long (appx 12+ inches). If someone has 2 or 3 siphon tubes, they can have a herbie or any other type of setup.

That’s why it’s better to have an emergency drain as a back up. The outside box can have as many holes as you want.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if there is enough flow going through the pipe. Siphon's don't "collect" bubbles when there is sufficient flow going through them.

To add, that's to say, yes, they can fail. But I can also fall on the floor by virtue of standing up against gravity. That doesn't mean I wear kneepads because I am afraid it will happen.

Any siphon can fail where as if you drill the tank that is not an issue. It’s a 1000 times better to drill the tank.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense intended to the people suggesting not making an HOB, I'm not looking to drill a tank, I understand bulkheads are by far better, and that will be my next project.

Ive got a 3/4", 1", 1,25", 1.5", 2" pipes and plenty of fittings. I also have a vinyl rectangular down pout and cap if I need a weird larger than 2"

The sump will be a spare 15g tank, paired with 800gph pump. Going into a home made 47g tank. (50g tank foot print just shorter). At some point it will go on a bigger tank.

Last edited:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many many post like this is why I wouldn’t wast time with such an overflow.

Good luck

Absolute rule #1 in my Book: Do not drill holes in your U Tube.

It must have absolutely zero ways for air to escape. Both of those situations would have been avoided had the people not "taken someone's advice" and built their Siphon Tubes with "air bleed" valves. Much safer to buy clear PVC or a replacement U Tube part and build around it.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolute rule #1 in my Book: Do not drill holes in your U Tube.

It must have absolutely zero ways for air to escape. Both of those situations would have been avoided had the people not "taken someone's advice" and built their Siphon Tubes with "air bleed" valves. Much safer to buy clear PVC or a replacement U Tube part and build around it.

No matter what way you do it it’s a poor design. Not worth the time or effort when there are far better ones out there.

8F631E62-1BA4-4DD6-BF52-F6ECEBC9DB95.jpeg

570FF5EE-753D-4273-B831-3C90B26D92F6.jpeg

932CD115-3449-4EAB-BB7A-09EA39D95829.jpeg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense intended to the people suggesting not making an HOB, I'm not looking to drill a tank, I understand bulkheads are by far better, and that will be my next project.

Ive got a 3/4", 1", 1,25", 1.5", 2" pipes and plenty of fittings. I also have a vinyl rectangular down pout and cap if I need a weird larger than 2"

The sump will be a spare 15g tank, paired with 800gph pump. Going into a home made 47g tank. (50g tank foot print just shorter). At some point it will go on a bigger tank.

Couple tips...
  • CPVC or thin wall PVC is much better than "regular" PVC, especially when space (ie flow) is a premium.
  • Use 2 inch PVC or ABS pieces for the bottom (reservoir pieces). In my photo, I used 1-1/2" and a mix with 2" but if I were to do it again, I'd use 2" everywhere. The only place it would not help is the "bridge" between the Tees that holds the whole thing onto the tank's wall. The size of that "bridge" doesn't matter, it could be 1" or 1/2" even, but they don't sell Tees that are 2" x 1/2" x 2" I think.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what way you do it it’s a poor design. Not worth the time or effort when there are far better ones out there.

I can pay 80+ bucks for a brand new one or I can pay 35/40 bucks for a custom built one... The design work has been done already (for me) and I will share with others for free. If someone saves every last dollar, then DIY is cheaper and just as effective as buying one, if they use my design.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there better designs without drilling? From everything Ive researched, the box styles have a higher fail rate because of the shorter over flow tube.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you don't care about looks, for the Weir, use a 3" x 1-1/2" x 3" and turn the top into a grill w/ a short 3" pipe (about an inch or cut to fit) and a knockout cap with holes or use a 3" drain grate. It's how mine is now w/ the second white part. I do have a secondary siphon going into that white 3" PVC Tee but that's for safety because I want 2 siphon tubes going akin to modified herbie design.

2of3.jpg

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple tips...
  • CPVC or thin wall PVC is much better than "regular" PVC, especially when space (ie flow) is a premium.
  • Use 2 inch PVC or ABS pieces for the bottom (reservoir pieces). In my photo, I used 1-1/2" and a mix with 2" but if I were to do it again, I'd use 2" everywhere. The only place it would not help is the "bridge" between the Tees that holds the whole thing onto the tank's wall. The size of that "bridge" doesn't matter, it could be 1" or 1/2" even, but they don't sell Tees that are 2" x 1/2" x 2" I think.

Would two 3/4" over flows with 1.5" weirs be better, Im pretty sure I have enough parts to do that

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can pay 80+ bucks for a brand new one or I can pay 35/40 bucks for a custom built one... The design work has been done already (for me) and I will share with others for free. If someone saves every last dollar, then DIY is cheaper and just as effective as buying one, if they use my design.

U can get an internal box for $20 or $30 so I’m not sure what your talking about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back