Any Fish you regret?????

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really??? I want one for my aggressive tank (would be the smallest fish) but havnt gotten one cause people say this all the time and Im worried about my fang tooth eel eating it! I love the way they look, thats the biggest draw for me

Trust me, it getting eatten is much better then having to break apart your entire tank, to fish it out.

If you hate someone, introduce them to the 6 line... they will be like, oh purple, pretty, looks like it has great personality, and you can then grin and have satisifaction you just killed the entire reefing experience for that person.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really??? I want one for my aggressive tank (would be the smallest fish) but havnt gotten one cause people say this all the time and Im worried about my fang tooth eel eating it! I love the way they look, thats the biggest draw for me

They do look pretty cool, that’s for sure. But just look at their little evil eyes, it’s a dead giveaway! :D

My last one that flipped in 2013 bullied my panther grouper (only 6 or 7 inches, but still) to the point it wouldn’t eat, and then killed my alpha purple tang in the matter of a week. Pulling out 200 pounds of rock and basically dissembling the tank to catch the little devil made me say “never again” for good.

If you added one, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got eaten pretty quick in your tank. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if a couple years from now you’re posting about a sixline beating up true predator fish haha!

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back in the day it was commonplace to cycle your tank with damsels. I remember having a couple P. lacrymatus. These little terrors are a colossal PITA to remove from a tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, it getting eatten is much better then having to break apart your entire tank, to fish it out.

If you hate someone, introduce them to the 6 line... they will be like, oh purple, pretty, looks like it has great personality, and you can then grin and have satisifaction you just killed the entire reefing experience for that person.
They do look pretty cool, that’s for sure. But just look at their little evil eyes, it’s a dead giveaway! :D

My last one that flipped in 2013 bullied my panther grouper (only 6 or 7 inches, but still) to the point it wouldn’t eat, and then killed my alpha purple tang in the matter of a week. Pulling out 200 pounds of rock and basically dissembling the tank to catch the little devil made me say “never again” for good.

If you added one, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got eaten pretty quick in your tank. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if a couple years from now you’re posting about a sixline beating up true predator fish haha!
Oh my lol guess Ill just have to resist the urge! Hard since they are my favorite color lol and I just lost my beautiful purple tang :( she was a HLLE rescue and old when I got her so it was expected but I still miss her! Purples are expensive now too unfortunately

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably never buy another dottyback my orchid dottyback is an absolute terror to any new fish I try and introduce

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tank that has a lunar wrasse in it (which I didn’t really want) and I have never had a fish as aggressive as him. He doesn’t just bully any fish that I add he eats them.
I also have another tank with three engineer gobies that I wish I wouldn’t have added. I only see them when I feed the tank, and my sand bed is never flat anymore. They have actually piled up sand high enough to cover corals on my rockwork.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regret is the sleeper banded goby. He was sold at my LFS as a dragon head goby or something like that. Found a pic from liveaquaria.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.29.57 PM.png

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/206/?pcatid=206

I have a couple of reasons why I'm personally offended by this guy. First, my favorite fish in his tank (125 gallon softie tank) is my diamond goby. The diamond goby was in the tank first and twice the size of this guy when I introduced them. As soon as this jerkface got to be the same size as the diamond he bullied the diamond goby terribly. Now the diamond goby hides all the time. I'd have to take the tank completely apart to get either of them out and I don't think it's possible.

Also, I don't like the way this goby sifts sand. No regard for corals. The diamond goby picks up sand and spits it low to the bottom of the tank. - I like the little hills of sand and seeing his work throughout the day. But not the "banded" sleeper goby - it will dribble sand all over the rocks and cover up the corals so if you don't blow the sand off you could lose some coral.

Last edited:

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a marine fish I regretted but I currently have two african cichlids named regret and mistake. I set up a 60 gallon demasoni species tank and had a bunch of them. Had that tank set up perfect, big old colony, and then regret and mistake went on a murder rampage and killed the whole colony over a 2 day period. I considered it a complete tank crash, took it apart and went to get rid of them, no one wants them, so they are sitting in that tank with no filter, no pumps, no water changes, hardly ever remember to feed them, since september, and they are somehow fat and doing well and the tank looks clean, no algae. I have half a mind to use them as bait but theres something supernatural going on there lol.

amarck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Falco hawkfish, a very territorial watchman goby, & anyone with claws that wants to break laws

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regret is the sleeper banded goby. He was sold at my LFS as a dragon head goby or something like that. Found a pic from liveaquaria.

I have a couple of reasons why I'm personally offended by this guy. First, my favorite fish in his tank (125 gallon softie tank) is my diamond goby. The diamond goby was in the tank first and twice the size of this guy when I introduced them. As soon as this jerkface got to be the same size as the diamond he bullied the diamond goby terribly. Now the diamond goby hides all the time. I'd have to take the tank completely apart to get either of them out and I don't think it's possible.

Also, I don't like the way this goby sifts sand. No regard for corals. The diamond goby picks up sand and spits it low to the bottom of the tank. - I like the little hills of sand and seeing his work throughout the day. But not the "banded" sleeper goby - it will dribble sand all over the rocks and cover up the corals so if you don't blow the sand off you could lose some coral.

I found a video which says your diamond goby can also be a total jerk.

This is a total A Hole move... funny but real A Hole...

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a video which says your diamond goby is also a jerk.

This is a total A Hole move... funny but real A Hole...

That's pretty hilarious. Wish my diamond goby would stand up for himself and throw a sand fight haha.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when i saw that video i fell off my chair laughing.
That clown tho... its trying to be the middle man between 2 property line neighbors having a dispute.

But i have a sleeper banded goby.
Mine isn't that bad with throwing stuff on coral tho.
I needed a fish which could hold its own against a Orchid Dottyback.

But he minds his own business most of the time.
I do have Special Grade sand, so its a big bigger and heavier then the fine ones, so its not as messy when they start sifting.

I originally wanted 2 diamonds as a pair, but i hear too many bad things about the diamond, and not much about the banded, probably because no one wants it, as its not as "pretty" as a diamond.

But the banded goby is also known as the dragon goby like you state, so the asian side of me wanted a dragon in my fish tank for luck.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when i saw that video i fell off my chair laughing.
That clown tho... its trying to be the middle man between 2 property line neighbors having a dispute.

But i have a sleeper banded goby.
Mine isn't that bad with throwing stuff on coral tho.
I needed a fish which could hold its own against a Orchid Dottyback.

But he minds his own business most of the time.
I do have Special Grade sand, so its a big bigger and heavier then the fine ones, so its not as messy when they start sifting.

I originally wanted 2 diamonds as a pair, but i hear too many bad things about the diamond, and not much about the banded, probably because no one wants it, as its not as "pretty" as a diamond.

But the diamond goby is also known as the dragon goby like you state, so the asian side of me wanted a dragon in my fish tank for luck.
Kind of want to introduce a jaw fish into the mix for the drama lol.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of want to introduce a jaw fish into the mix for the drama lol.

If that jawfish only sift'd sand id buy one.

But i hear they just dig holes and stay in them all day, you barely see it.
And they always dig the holes somewhere off in the tank you'll never see them at.

But blue spoted jawfishes are very pretty.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dartfish/Firefish. I have one in quarantine right now and it is so anxious and such a spaz. It has jumped out 3 times now even with me being very careful and having a lid. Their spaz temperament just isn't worth it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back