Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at buying a 72" tank, width and depth still open in the 200-300g range. I like the concept of All-Glass megaflow dual but not sure about being able to keep it clean enough. Seems to have few holes and a narrow gap for flow.

Also looking at Great Lakes Aquariums in Warren, Mi local manufacturing but the leak warrentee is weak at 1 yr compared to lifetime from All-Glass. They also add an additional section of glass about 4" wide onthe bottom attached to the walls they call the EURO style for additional strength - never seen this on an aquarium before and they even do it on smaller tanks. Kind of interesting.

Any recommendations on manufacture and selection criteria?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All glass is good of course, but you could try glass cages. I have heard they make awesome tanks. No clue about price though. And you could always go talk to miracles, super nice but pricey. Good luck and let us now what you choose!

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt go with glass cages i have heard both positive and negative. I know leemar makes some pretty awesome tanks. A guy in our club just got one and it is pretty awesome also i believe elos are pretty good tanks. None the less I would go wtih whoever had the best guarantee because 300 gallons of water all over your house would really tick me off and i would really want someone to be fixing something.

What exactly do the guarantees cover?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you tlaking about a 72 by 72 tank if so thats gonna be one crazy cube youll get lost looking at depth like that.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt go with glass cages i have heard both positive and negative. I know leemar makes some pretty awesome tanks. A guy in our club just got one and it is pretty awesome also i believe elos are pretty good tanks. None the less I would go wtih whoever had the best guarantee because 300 gallons of water all over your house would really tick me off and i would really want someone to be fixing something.

What exactly do the guarantees cover?

GC does not have a guarantee at all it sucks. Thats one of the reasons its so low in cost. Elso and other brands like that IMO are gonna easly run 7,500 or more for a tank that size.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You folks are dreaming to much. I'm looking at 72x24x29, 210g or 72x36x27, 300g at this time not 72x72 - I didn't hit the lotto last night but might consider a tank that size if I did and my spouse would buy into it. My bet is with that much $ she'd have no probem as long as it was designed into a new house somewhere warm without snow.

As for all-glass it is Aqueon.

Thanks for the advise & I agree warrantee is king in this purchase, flooding my freshly finished basement would be the end of this hobby if it wasn't covered not to mention the make-it-up-to-you's I'd owe.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more consideration I think I'm going to limit the height to 24" because of the lighting requirements. Still intend to go with a 72, I've got the space and it's what I really want. Just not sure who to buy from.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC does not have a guarantee at all it sucks. Thats one of the reasons its so low in cost. Elso and other brands like that IMO are gonna easly run 7,500 or more for a tank that size.

Actually, they have a 90 day warranty against leakage, so do your homework before posting bad information. While 90 days isn't that great, at least by then you should know the tank will hold up. They do build their aquariums like tanks, so if you go glasscages, bring about 6 guys to move it :)

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered the marineland 300 DD
its a pretty nice package

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered the marineland 300 DD
its a pretty nice package

Yeah, those are nice aren't they. I've been thinking about the 250 DD setup myself. Its not a cube, which I like, and looks stunning.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Glasscages does a good job with smaller tanks (I have one as a frag tank), I would be weary of a bigger tank. I've seen too many of them fail (personally). Have also seen big tanks come off of the truck and most were cracked due to how they were fastened on the truck during shipping. That is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I just setup a 72" x 33" x 24" Miracles tank (3/4" glass). I am very pleased with the build quality - it's rimless - hence the 3/4" glass. Marineland build good tanks too. Lemar is also a great builder but they do not guarantee shipping anymore (from what I heard when I was researching builders). You get what you pay for and that is especially true with a custom made large tank. If you have any questions about what I paid with Miracles, feel free to pm me. I'm happy to share my experience.

And I'm not bashing GlassCages, I just wouldn't put a large tank from GC in my house personally. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have larger GC tanks that are happy with them.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they have a 90 day warranty against leakage, so do your homework before posting bad information. While 90 days isn't that great, at least by then you should know the tank will hold up. They do build their aquariums like tanks, so if you go glasscages, bring about 6 guys to move it :)

Yea they are also build like crap, im not giving false info does any one on this form want a tank that comes with a 90 way warranty? Thats crazy if that helps you sleep at night. Also look up all there threads many tanks busting at the seems and them saying well have it now not our issue. Also to collect that warranty you must ship it back to them have fun with that.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Glasscages does a good job with smaller tanks (I have one as a frag tank), I would be weary of a bigger tank. I've seen too many of them fail (personally). Have also seen big tanks come off of the truck and most were cracked due to how they were fastened on the truck during shipping. That is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I just setup a 72" x 33" x 24" Miracles tank (3/4" glass). I am very pleased with the build quality - it's rimless - hence the 3/4" glass. Marineland build good tanks too. Lemar is also a great builder but they do not guarantee shipping anymore (from what I heard when I was researching builders). You get what you pay for and that is especially true with a custom made large tank. If you have any questions about what I paid with Miracles, feel free to pm me. I'm happy to share my experience.

And I'm not bashing GlassCages, I just wouldn't put a large tank from GC in my house personally. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have larger GC tanks that are happy with them.

Criag dont be scared it has a 90 day warranty your covered.. This is me rolling my eyes right now.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are horror stories about glass cages for sure, but they make and sell 100 tanks a week. How may people post up that everything went perfectly smooth and no problems? Very few. I personally know plenty of people running Glass Cages with absolutely no problems.

On the flip side, I've also heard of AGE tanks breaking as well.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are horror stories about glass cages for sure, but they make and sell 100 tanks a week. How may people post up that everything went perfectly smooth and no problems? Very few. I personally know plenty of people running Glass Cages with absolutely no problems.

On the flip side, I've also heard of AGE tanks breaking as well.

you can find bad elos tanks but its about how often that company just gives people crap. GC does it all the time yea a marinland might break and you can find a thread on it but not as often or as easy to find a bad GC tank.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of any recent Glass Cages blowouts. They do have a bad rep, but nothing from recently that I've seen.

Regardless, I read just last week that somebody priced them out against Miracles, and Miracles came in cheaper. Might have been for a custom tank though.

tcfab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tank mfg's warranty inlcudes is fixing the tank if it breaks, not fixing your house:sad: And I am pretty sure your broken tank is going to be the last of your worries when you have 300 gallons of water damage to your home, just my .02

I would stay away from Glass Cages I have also heard bad things. There silicone jobs are really sloppy and their customer service is very poor.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hear alot of ppl talking about glass cages, yet most have never dealt with them.
how can you really comment about their CS or their tanks unless you actually own or have owned or even dealt with the company?
have their been tanks from every company that have leaked broke and you name it.
not only that but you guys talk about their lifetime warantee and that only covers the tank if its on their stand! (marineland, aquaeon, allglass, glass cages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back