OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are very welcome and thanks for following along!

Dreamy! Thank you so much for sharing!! So excited for you!

Appreciate the kind words and thank you! Making progress ... this build is more like a long marathon.

Very cool build. Excited to see it all finished!

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but what's the kelvin on your 400 watts ushio bulbs? I would think it's would be either 10k or 14k for the type of growth and color your getting out of your corals. I used to used ushio 10k and had enormous growth but supplemented with a ridiculous amount of T5 actinics so to make it look more 20k. I'm using 20k now slower growth but less lights needed.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good guess ... I use the 14k Ushio 400 watt bulbs.
Maybe I missed it but what's the kelvin on your 400 watts ushio bulbs? I would think it's would be either 10k or 14k for the type of growth and color your getting out of your corals. I used to used ushio 10k and had enormous growth but supplemented with a ridiculous amount of T5 actinics so to make it look more 20k. I'm using 20k now slower growth but less lights needed.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder your getting that growth n color. Imagine what you would get with 10Ks. I'm actually considering it when these bulbs expire. I just don't like the look of it but who cares, I don't see the tank with the halides on except for weekends. I'll enjoy seeing growth n color more.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No wonder your getting that growth n color. Imagine what you would get with 10Ks. I'm actually considering it when these bulbs expire. I just don't like the look of it but who cares, I don't see the tank with the halides on except for weekends. I'll enjoy seeing growth n color more.

I have been running the same type of Ushio 14k bulbs for many years ... It is a combination of stable water parameters and providing lots of light & indirect flow for me. Attached a picture from my last reef where some acropora branches were over an inch thick in diameter, just like you would see on the shallow wild reefs.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back