OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! Way the pros and cons of dry vs live.
Thanks! Can you give me some examples of pros and cons? The reef I had when I was younger was a 55 gallon FOWLR mainly because I couldn't keep corals alive due to not knowing enough about reef tanks. I just remember being amazed at seeing feather dusters in the LR not knowing how they got there! What would you see as possible cons?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Can you give me some examples of pros and cons? The reef I had when I was younger was a 55 gallon FOWLR mainly because I couldn't keep corals alive due to not knowing enough about reef tanks. I just remember being amazed at seeing feather dusters in the LR not knowing how they got there! What would you see as possible cons?
Well I’ve been reefing for 22 years and have never used anything but live rock. I got back in over 2 years ago with live rock. I’ve had the usual algae outbreaks but all manageable. I have never had dinos. The dry rock thing allows for some beautiful scapes but not long after covered in every alge imaginable for extended time. They do eventually become live rock but personally I would skip the headache. Just my opinion.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. That is a great size tank to start with.

Advantages to live rock is quicker cycle, less ugly phase and really can get to adding stuff to tank faster.
Also intersting to see what comes on it.

Disadvantage. Pests. But can be a big one.

I always go with mostly regular rock and add about 20% of my rock live rock. My lfs has it and i inspect it pretty good before i snatch it and tote it home in buckets of saltwater. I got loads of pods. Great sponges for sump for filtering. Feather dusters. Of course corraline and bacteria to get things rolling.
I also got bubble algae and vermitid snails. Which both suck. Got lucky and no aptasia.

For me i always start with some live rock. Dry rock will lead to alot of frustration because most people dont have the patience to add stuff so slow as dry rock requires. I know i dont

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
images.jpeg

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man!
I've been doing this for 35 years and I learn stuff on here everyday.
As far as rock goes I've only used live rock so I can't help with dry rock or a comparison of the two.
My tank now has rock almost 20 years old that I got from someone who was getting out of the hobby.
I've always done it that way.
Keep us updated.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome back!

If you are looking for DIY LEDs I just made some. We Nano Box replacements. Nano Box was known for the best DIY arrays made. I’ve made them even better with updated spectrum and diodes. And for people with old Nano Box fixtures they are a drop in replacement. Some easy soldering or using a connector.

Attachments

• 24EE4B4B-4D04-4789-99FB-3A7CC1934D96.jpeg
    24EE4B4B-4D04-4789-99FB-3A7CC1934D96.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Advantages to live rock is quicker cycle, less ugly phase and really can get to adding stuff to tank faster.

I always go with mostly regular rock and add about 20% of my rock live rock. My lfs has it and i inspect it pretty good before i snatch it and tote it home in buckets of saltwater. I got loads of pods. Great sponges for sump for filtering. Feather dusters. Of course corraline and bacteria to get things rolling.
I also got bubble algae and vermitid snails. Which both suck. Got lucky and no aptasia.

For me i always start with some live rock. Dry rock will lead to alot of frustration because most people dont have the patience to add stuff so slow as dry rock requires. I know i dont
Great info! Thanks. I know I’ve read somewhere recently, I’ll have to try and find it now, that there’s some sort of soak or something to do to the LR before adding to tank so you cut down on the nuisance pests. Ever heard of this?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome Mikebusc! You will be amazed at how efficient some of the modern reefing equipment is. I’m looking toward to seeing what you put together. What are you thinking for a skimmer?
I’m actually researching that right now. I know some have mentioned reef octopus as well as some other names. But I’m hoping for any suggestions. It will be put in a 40 gallon sump under the tank.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome Mikebusc! You will be amazed at how efficient some of the modern reefing equipment is. I’m looking toward to seeing what you put together. What are you thinking for a skimmer?

Is there any advantage to starting out with a mixture of live rock and dry rock besides being less expensive than doing all live rock at once? Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back