Back after almost 20 years.

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just introducing myself. I'm just getting back into reefing after almost 20 years and I guess I was still a novice at that point. I've been researching online for a while because I wanted to make sure I had a descent grasp on what I would need to start. It will be a mixed reef. I have a 125 gallon tank that I'm currently getting ready to drill for my overflow. It's a Modularmarine low profile 1600. I made a refugium kit in a 40 gallon breeder. Next I'm looking for a skimmer. I'm an electrical contractor and I'm going to give a stab at doing my own LED lighting. I use LED tape quite often in my profession and I'm wondering if there's an instrument to test my lighting to check for proper Lumens and color and what are the proper requirements.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! A PAR meter will get you part of the way there with your lighting. You can rent one from BRS if you do not have access to one locally.

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just introducing myself. I'm just getting back into reefing after almost 20 years and I guess I was still a novice at that point. I've been researching online for a while because I wanted to make sure I had a descent grasp on what I would need to start. It will be a mixed reef. I have a 125 gallon tank that I'm currently getting ready to drill for my overflow. It's a Modularmarine low profile 1600. I made a refugium kit in a 40 gallon breeder. Next I'm looking for a skimmer. I'm an electrical contractor and I'm going to give a stab at doing my own LED lighting. I use LED tape quite often in my profession and I'm wondering if there's an instrument to test my lighting to check for proper Lumens and color and what are the proper requirements.
Apogee has a par meter Kinda pricey tho. AIM for more blue in color when you build them

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome back to the hobby and to R2R! Yes you would want to use a par meter to check the light intensity. I spent the money on 3 AI 32HD LED lights which I can program when they go on and off, the intensity and ramping up and down. I can adjust everything using my phone. That was a no brainer for me as it made things really simple.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back