Back after almost 20 years.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of that, but what are you losing if not starting with live rock? Like all the microorganisms and things that help establish the tank? As my thread title implies it's been a while but when I was doing this before using live rock was the only thing talked about and the best way to start your reef.
Most dry rock is seeded with bacteria to start the growth of Coraline these days.

Back in the day, some would soak broken cender box in meric acid and use the cender box for a rock work base and then add live rock. Basically the same principal of using dry rock and seeding the dry rock with a piece of two of live rock.

These days when one walks into there LFS and they see a large tank marked live rock. The LFS is using the seeded rock to transfer, Coraline algae to the new rock. Then cycle the rock to sell as live rock.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard
Thanks! Feels good to be back into it. And overwhelming also. I've decided not to jump right in and to do as much research as possible and as you know if you ask 10 different reefers how they would approach a certain situation and you can get 10 different answers. And all of them right. So I'm trying to narrow them down to what I feel comfortable with. Next I'm going to ask advice on lighting which I guess I'll post in a new thread. But I've been looking at the

Orbit Marine 72" IC LOOP PRO Dual LED System w/HUB (4228)​

Seems interesting with how it can control pumps, and to dial in different lighting spectrums etc. My tank is 125 gallon and 72" long and will be a mixed reef with live rock.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Feels good to be back into it. And overwhelming also. I've decided not to jump right in and to do as much research as possible and as you know if you ask 10 different reefers how they would approach a certain situation and you can get 10 different answers. And all of them right. So I'm trying to narrow them down to what I feel comfortable with. Next I'm going to ask advice on lighting which I guess I'll post in a new thread. But I've been looking at the

Orbit Marine 72" IC LOOP PRO Dual LED System w/HUB (4228)​

Seems interesting with how it can control pumps, and to dial in different lighting spectrums etc. My tank is 125 gallon and 72" long and will be a mixed reef with live rock.
All th information can be overwhelming; but I went with the mantra of the key thought leaders in the industry, “Find one good source that shows their success and failures, explains in detail the methodologies and go hard on sticking to it and be patient”.

I followed Ryan at BRS along with the many vendors he interviews that culminate in an easy to follow plan for a successful reef. I no longer chase or do hammer solutions.

Looking forward to seeing your build thread grow.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching slowly because I want to do this right (or at least mostly right). I'm getting my new future build together piece by piece and I'm looking to have some experienced reefers opinions. This is what I've put together so far. Stacked up in the garage. Haven't even drilled the tank yet. Going to do the tempered glass test just to be sure but from what I understand the sides shouldn't be tempered on this tank. Will have some fish, softies and LPS.

TopFin 125 gallon (came with stand but I'm going to build my own maybe I can sell it?)
Aqueon 40 gallon breeder for a sump
Refugium kit for the breeder
Modular Marine 1600 gph low profile overflow box
Reef Octopus Classic 150Int protein skimmer
Carib Sea Ocean Direct Natural live sand
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI four stage RODI 50 gpd
Two Current USA eFlux wave pumps 2100 GPH - LOOP
Current USA Dual 72" Inch Orbit Marine PRO IC Loop LED Saltwater Reef Marine Aquarium Light with Bluetooth App Control | Wireless Lighting & eFlux Wave Pump Control for Fish Tank (4338)

eFlux LOOP DC Flow Return Pump 1900 GPH - Current USA​

Also test kits, refractometer, etc. And I need a heater yet and not sure what else.
I'm still deciding on the aquascape. After much reading on this forum I'm leaning towards partial live rock and some sort of dry rock to help with the scaping while having the LR seed the dry.
If I use dry is one better than the other out of these?

• Marco
  • Caribsea
  • Real Reef
  • Aquaforest
  • Walt Smith

I know there's other lights, pumps, etc. that I can use but I've pulled the trigger already on the equipment. Unless there's a huge mistake with any of it.
Still at beginning stage. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703248844583.png

I'm adding this in addition to my last post.
This is a pic of the sump kit I bought but haven't put together. Need some guidance. I assume filter socks on far right, then skimmer, then is the small opening an air gap? (I know I can make my own dimensions for the compartments). Then return pump. But I'd actually like some room for a refugium. Can you see a setup with this where I can do this? Or do I need another smaller tank? Not sure if I need one or not but I see a lot of you use them. Thanks. And what king of filter socks fit here? Are there sizes?

1703248801217.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back