OP
OP
N

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the trend is looking reasonable. 32 ppm (1.8 dKH) over 3 days is not unreasonable. :)
Agreed. Not complaining, though I need to buy reagent by the gallon, testing every 12 hours. Paranoid that consumption will return to normal and Alk will suddenly drop 1.8 dkh. Trying not to "chase numbers", just get back to stability.

OP
OP
N

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next science/chemistry question for @Randy Holmes-Farley. At the same time my alk went haywire, I had to electrolysis "accidents". A set of LEDs that were supposed to be waterproof, werent and a battery powered ph meter fell in. Water turned cloudy but everything was fine after a few days. Googling electrolisys and salt water, I started reading about chlorine generators for pools and found this:

"The byproduct Sodium Hydroxide has a very high pH level and will increase the pH level in your water"

Is it reasonable to extract from that, that the additionally sodium hydroxide spiked the Alk in my tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next science/chemistry question for @Randy Holmes-Farley. At the same time my alk went haywire, I had to electrolysis "accidents". A set of LEDs that were supposed to be waterproof, werent and a battery powered ph meter fell in. Water turned cloudy but everything was fine after a few days. Googling electrolisys and salt water, I started reading about chlorine generators for pools and found this:

"The byproduct Sodium Hydroxide has a very high pH level and will increase the pH level in your water"

Is it reasonable to extract from that, that the additionally sodium hydroxide spiked the Alk in my tank?

I doubt it. Not enough.

A more likely possibility is that something toxic was released, such as copper, that reduced calcification. Electrolysis from an exposed copper wire will release lots of copper.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back