Best reef safe wrasses

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reef safe wrasse suggestions for a 75g that won't eat my shrimp or feather dusters? I'm looking at getting a Sea Cucumber and Clam as well.

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris, timor, and bluehead, that all are amazing. I have heard the blueheads can be iffy. Mine has bullied new fish at times.

Had a naoko wrasse which I loved long ago, will get one again if i find one.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and flasher wrasses are a solid choice. So many to pick really
I'm after a replacement for my McCoskers. He didn't make it through QT and I have no idea why it died. My linespot looks like it's about to follow. I've heard prazi pro can be hard on wrasses

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris, timor, and bluehead, that all are amazing. I have heard the blueheads can be iffy. Mine has bullied new fish at times.

Had a naoko wrasse which I loved long ago, will get one again if i find one.
Naoko are awesome. I'd love to have one. Haven't seen one in a long time though

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sooo many to choose from is the problem for me. I love the pintails.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm after a replacement for my McCoskers. He didn't make it through QT and I have no idea why it died. My linespot looks like it's about to follow. I've heard prazi pro can be hard on wrasses
Sorry to hear. Wrasses are difficult to quarantine and do not take well to meds. I personally started buying prequarantined or just observing separately. Here’s a chart that helped me with fairy wrasses. My orange back has become one of my favorites. I have 4 wrasses currently. Halichoeres genus tend to go after snails and hermits in my experience.
IMG_5039.png

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Timor. I would absolutely recommend one if you have sand.

I am looking for a Timor right now locally. This and the earmuff were the top two i wanted since i have a orchid dotty and need something that can hold its ground and be utilitarian.

I want a leopard wrasse as well, but i hear too many mix'd things about them.

I'll check it out. Never heard of that one

Check out the earmuff as well.
They are very hard to find, but if u manage to find one.
They are from the same family as the Halichoeres and very beautiful, as well as being a great worker.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a Timor right now locally. This and the earmuff were the top two i wanted since i have a orchid dotty and need something that can hold its ground.

I want a leopard wrasse as well, but i hear too many mix'd things about them.
I think the Timor could ease the temptation on getting a leopard. In my opinion their colors are pretty similar.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Timor could ease the temptation on getting a leopard. In my opinion their colors are pretty similar.

Nah... the blue star is just OMG when you see it at the right angle.
lwrasse.JPG

Leopards are big pod eaters right?

Suposidely... and they are known to also disappear on you days at a time if you cheat on it with a damsel or something.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah... the blue star is just OMG when you see it at the right angle.
lwrasse.JPG

Suposidely... and they are known to also disappear on you days at a time if you cheat on it with a damsel or something.
Somewhat related to Wrasses. I just picked up a biota yellow tang. He's pretty small. Think I could add another wrasse and a Midas blenny? And eventually a pair of Mandarins?

CLew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check it out. Never heard of that one
I've got a Timor wrasse and I love the way he looks, but he is definitely not invert friendly in my tank. I probably had two dozen various snails in my tank and all but three of them were gone within weeks. Somehow I still have those three after years. He went through three peppermint shrimps as well. Maybe I was unlucky picking this one. The only wrasses I've had luck with are the six line, melanarus, and yellow coris.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanarus is about just as nasty as the timor and earmuff in taking your your CUC crew from what i hear.

So its a pick between the melanarus vs timor vs earmuff as i heard they all grow up to simular sizes and have a nasty taste for hermit crabs.

But its fine... I don't really like hermits... i just get them when i need a filler on my reef cleaners order, and i try to restock on snails every 4-6 months. And if its a healthy snack for the wrassee, then so be it.

Oh but if you do add a Halichores, if you ever get aptasia... you can never use Berghia, unless you want to feed your wrasse a A4 grade flatworm wagyu.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back