Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys you convinced me... Where do I find a temp controller?

For the record I have probably a dozen heaters.. Although most glass are junk I have several. For my reef tanks I try to buy ceramic or "non glass".

I also replace them every year or two if they are glass just as a precaution. Safe > Sorry. Been there done that

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys you convinced me... Where do I find a temp controller?

For the record I have probably a dozen heaters.. Although most glass are junk I have several. For my reef tanks I try to buy ceramic or "non glass".

I also replace them every year or two if they are glass just as a precaution. Safe > Sorry. Been there done that
Do you an apex?

kles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jagger love em used them for years and years dependable long lasting very accurate

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt neo-therm all the way (except the 150w and 200w). Keeps perfect temp and never had one fail. Also I first purchased jäger heaters due to the great reviews and absolutely hated them. They have a several degree swing if not used on a controller.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 100w heaters in my system. Two ViaAqua titanium (love the external control) and 1 Fluval (love the built in thermometer) ! I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry, if 1 of my heaters freaks out it won't cook the tank and if 1 just dies it won't get to cold! I have all 3 in my sump!

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after reading everything I think i want to go with an eheim jager heater for my 120 fowl tank in my 55 sump. Do i really need a controller? And i might be using it with my old marina 200 watt heater or am i better off getting 2 eheim jager heaters? If so how many watts for both should i get?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 jagers in my sump right now and will change them to cobalt Neoi-Therms.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt neo-therm all the way (except the 150w and 200w). Keeps perfect temp and never had one fail. Also I first purchased jäger heaters due to the great reviews and absolutely hated them. They have a several degree swing if not used on a controller.
Why not the Cobalt neo-therm 150 or 200 watt?

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by what I read the heaters are far from perfect. Does anyone know of a way to get an actual accurate temperature? Many list a 2% plus or minus which is about a 2.25 degree swing at 75 degrees. I find that unacceptable as your 78 may be my 80.25 or another's 75.75 assuming that the instruments are within specs and stay that way. I would like to know what I am actually dealing with. I do have an apex but have not set tanks up yet and am shopping for accessories.

Tony Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 Neo Therms I'm using are both 150 watt. I have a digital thermomitor on the tank that has not varied more than a degree. They are nice and flat and sit in 2 different sections of my sump. I'm happy with them.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmph, are the neotherm 150 really that bad!? dang, ive been running 75s forever and loved them, just got a couple 150s for the 120DT, but now im worried.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boo. hope my 150s are safe. sheesh. heaters seem to be the weakest link in our hobby!

From what I remember reading it's only the 150w and 200w heaters from a certain production run. If you search you should be able to find out which one and check your heater to see if it was made in that timeframe.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%

Back