Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

hondaguy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about aqueon pro heater very reasonably priced and Canot be shattered

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Via Aqua Titanium, I have had nothing but problems with glass heaters, Eheim and VisiTherm included. The Titaniums come with a seperate controller and temp sensor and are extremely accurate.

+1 I've had about 10 and never any issues

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used several branches of heaters and so far Eheim Jager heaters are my favorite.

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried several different heaters in my builds and on tanks I've installed for others but after many failures and flubs I now stick to Eheim Jager. When I strayed from using them it has been because of aesthetics, they don't look pretty in a tank and are hard to hide nicely in the sump. Now aesthetics be ****** I will always stick to Eheim Jager because they are reliable.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eheim on the way after reading the reviews. I'll add a controller too. I never needed one until I mounted the lid of my 12g nano above the tank so I could add more equipment.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will bump this back up, I pretty much have been using jager heaters for everything, but after watching my temps and power usage with the apex I found the 300W jager would turn on at strange times, like mid day when the temp was above the set point - and the tank would drift 3 degrees high for a few days and 3 degrees low for a couple days in a row. The on/off with the temp looked pretty random. It was making me lose faith in the heater. I left the door open on a chilly night and the temp dropped pretty low, but the heater didn't turn on reliably and the tank dropped pretty cold. It was ok, no panic, but according to the power log it didn't stay on for any length of time.

So I picked up a Finnex 500w titanium with controller. It has been rock steady so far. Past week the temp has only varied 0.4 degrees. With both heaters the apex will shut off the outlet as a backup, but hopefully this heater will continue to perform well for years.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a reedkeeper to control my heaters. In the past two years, I've had two Finnex 500w heaters fail. I need to get another redundant heater. Is there a better option to use with a controller or should I just get another Finnex titanium?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will bump this back up, I pretty much have been using jager heaters for everything, but after watching my temps and power usage with the apex I found the 300W jager would turn on at strange times, like mid day when the temp was above the set point - and the tank would drift 3 degrees high for a few days and 3 degrees low for a couple days in a row. The on/off with the temp looked pretty random. It was making me lose faith in the heater. I left the door open on a chilly night and the temp dropped pretty low, but the heater didn't turn on reliably and the tank dropped pretty cold. It was ok, no panic, but according to the power log it didn't stay on for any length of time.

So I picked up a Finnex 500w titanium with controller. It has been rock steady so far. Past week the temp has only varied 0.4 degrees. With both heaters the apex will shut off the outlet as a backup, but hopefully this heater will continue to perform well for years.

Why are you not using the controller to handle the temp.. They are in most cases far more accurate. I just set my heater a few degrees higher than the controller in-case the controller fails which is rare..

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you not using the controller to handle the temp.. They are in most cases far more accurate. I just set my heater a few degrees higher than the controller in-case the controller fails which is rare..

I am using the finnex controller for the temp and apex for backup. I prefer that for a couple of reasons. If controlling with the apex they heater could fail on and I would never know it. The apex would shut it off and turn it on but the heater could be stuck on. If the controller fails (or the temp probe) the on heater would just keep going - no thanks! I also keep the apex probe in the overflow and the heater in the sump, so when I have the return off the sump would get really hot since the temp probe is in the DT - but I like having that so I can see the DT temp and keep track of it when doing maintenance.

Now the finnex controller keeps temps in a 0.5 degree range if not less. That is plenty accurate for me.

Last edited:

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using ebo-jager since day one of this wonderful and nutty hobby , never had a problem. I do have it hooked up to my apex just incase.

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager On A Ranco controller. I had the Finnex titanium with controler and the heater leaked a lot of stray voltage and the controller failed around 8 mnths.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back