Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion.......
There is a poll above for treating bryopsis.
How about a poll for treating GHA?
And perhaps for treating GHA AND bryopsis in the same tank.

I only have GHA which is about all gone..... thank you very much! So I don't feel right casting a vote for bryopsis.

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WC this evening and will be starting my treatment first thing in the morning, I've manually removed the few big clumps but the rest remains so I get to watch it die a slow death:D

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion.......
There is a poll above for treating bryopsis.
How about a poll for treating GHA?
And perhaps for treating GHA AND bryopsis in the same tank.

I only have GHA which is about all gone..... thank you very much! So I don't feel right casting a vote for bryopsis.

It won't let me add another poll. This started out as a Bryopsis thread...Fluconazole killing GHA was an added bonus. :)

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5 :)

NO3 = 0 (still dosing 4ml NOPOX)
PO4 = 0.063 (still dosing 1ml LC a day)
P2170001.JPG
P2170002.JPG
P2170003.JPG

Even more bryopsis has dissapeared :)
Even more has turned very light green / white :)

I'll continue to practice my happy dance..... I think i've got the moves sorted, to be honest, that's been the hardest thing to do with this treatment :)

Can you tell i'm smiling? :)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my final video :)

So happy it worked for you Jackie. Your video is a very good video for people to watch and understand the treatment and what they need to do. I also agree that I think activated carbon probably is inconsequential to treatment.

Your corals look 100x better than they did in the first video. It's cool you're noticing the coralline algae, it's gone crazy in my tank now that the green algaes are all gone. The nitrate/phosphate is now available to the things that we want to keep! You can see the difference in the corals, your red monti cap is red again, and is growing like mad.

Bryopsis is particularly nasty in what it does to the entire tank to prevent/stall/halt coral growth and vitality. It systematically starves the corals and pumps out sugars into the water to overload the water with DOC to force bleaching/starvation/stress even further. Ruthless microorganism!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Fluconazole is an anti-fungal. NOT an antibiotic. There is misinformation on the net that fluconazole is an antibiotic. It's an anti-fungal and your oxygen levels aren't going to be adversely affected. We all would have seen big dips in our pH during treatment due to increased CO2 and that simply hasn't happened.
You're right it is an antifungal. However, antifungals often have an adverse affect on oxygen levels as well. It's affect on oxygen has to do with the free O2 in the water and has nothing to do with CO2 levels, so a drop in ph would not be noticeable due to that.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy it worked for you Jackie. Your video is a very good video for people to watch and understand the treatment and what they need to do. I also agree that I think activated carbon probably is inconsequential to treatment.

Your corals look 100x better than they did in the first video. It's cool you're noticing the coralline algae, it's gone crazy in my tank now that the green algaes are all gone. The nitrate/phosphate is now available to the things that we want to keep! You can see the difference in the corals, your red monti cap is red again, and is growing like mad.

Bryopsis is particularly nasty in what it does to the entire tank to prevent/stall/halt coral growth and vitality. It systematically starves the corals and pumps out sugars into the water to overload the water with DOC to force bleaching/starvation/stress even further. Ruthless microorganism!
Thank you Rick :D I tried to make it as easy as possible with the video. Also pointing out that they NEED to read this thread.

I love seeing the Coraline again, it was so exciting the first time I noticed it LOL. And this morning when I got up and walked out into the main part of the house it was so bright! The reason being is all that green stuff was gone haha [emoji23]

I think it's wonderful that we all finally have a treatment for this evil bryopsis that absolutely works, no breaking your back and is inexpensive!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 and for the first time I can see the Derbesia is noticeably "wilted" in most places and is even showing some faint white tips!

Bloody ecstatic today :D fingers crossed it keeps this up!

The tips aren't white enough to really show up in a photo we'll but here is the best I could get.
PhotoGrid_1487385806041_zpsfggygnur.png

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine who is studying to be a vet said that the fish fungus medication ketoconazole may also work, and would be a less stressful medication on tank inhabitants. I don't have any Bryopsis anymore. Maybe someone might want to test ketoconazole vs fluconazole. Ketoconazole is now less expensive vs fluconazole since everyone is buying fluconazole.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back