Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats great cheers tony and john thanks for the help i will order some if need be then ,im hoping though that Itraconazole will be an option as i wont have to order any then.. cheers

It will be interesting to see how many of the "azole" family of meds works on bryopsis and gha. I don't think that anyone has tried any of them except Fluconazole yet.

BilboSwagginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, based in the UK here, had a frustrating fight with Bryopsis for around 18 months now.

My system is a ~200litre (45ish gallon) tank running on two external filters, one of which runs my carbon, nitratex, and phosguard.

These have all been left running and in place and I've continued infrequent dosing of MicroBacter7.

I dosed 900mg on Saturday night, so I'm now 5 days in and have significant browning/white die off all over the bryopsis! Nothing else appears to have been affected and no other algaes have shown their head at all. Clean up crew have shown a possible increase in interest in the bryopsis but it's hard to tell as they often pick through it anyway.

I have had one montipora digitata have reduced PE in the last two days. However I've also had two of my four T5s blow out so PAR in the tank is significantly reduced and a huge change in the spectrum of light as well. I wouldn't attribute this to the fluconazole as montiporas and stylaphora elsewhere in the tank still have excellent if not improved PE.

For those based in the UK you'll be glad to hear you can get fluconazole on the high street as thrush medication, or bulk buy from Amazon if you don't fancy explaining to the pharmacist why you need enough thrush medicine for 12 people...... I used unbranded fluconazole capsules, emptied into RO as my tank needed topping up for the day.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 9 of dosing 4000mg in my 125 for a horrible gha outbreak. I'm happy to announce my gha is 75% gone at this point. The only gha remaining is all in low light areas or nearly dead if even remaining. I have been doing some scrubbing with a toothbrush. Most of the really white stuff just turns to dust when hit with one. I've slid my light fixture back to see if I can hit the back sides of the rocks which is where most of what's remaining is. My sea hare does not stop eating anymore, I swear it doesn't even sleep anymore. Always out during the day now. I've also been aggressively using peroxide every night which I think is helping.

Prior to dosing fluco
IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

Day 9

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

Anemone still doing great as well

IMG_5377.JPG

Definitely excited for the next week to see just how much is gone at this rate I can't see it not being 100% but the light definitely plays a factor in how this medicine works. If it doesn't get it all I have confidence the tank can handle another dose. I think a larger dose is necessary for really bad gha.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 9 of dosing 4000mg in my 125 for a horrible gha outbreak. I'm happy to announce my gha is 75% gone at this point. The only gha remaining is all in low light areas or nearly dead if even remaining. I have been doing some scrubbing with a toothbrush. Most of the really white stuff just turns to dust when hit with one. I've slid my light fixture back to see if I can hit the back sides of the rocks which is where most of what's remaining is. My sea hare does not stop eating anymore, I swear it doesn't even sleep anymore. Always out during the day now. I've also been aggressively using peroxide every night which I think is helping.

Prior to dosing fluco
IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

Day 9

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

Anemone still doing great as well

IMG_5377.JPG

Definitely excited for the next week to see just how much is gone at this rate I can't see it not being 100% but the light definitely plays a factor in how this medicine works. If it doesn't get it all I have confidence the tank can handle another dose. I think a larger dose is necessary for really bad gha.

That is a huge difference! You're getting your aquarium back! :)

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those based in the UK you'll be glad to hear you can get fluconazole on the high street as thrush medication, or bulk buy from Amazon if you don't fancy explaining to the pharmacist why you need enough thrush medicine for 12 people...... I used unbranded fluconazole capsules, emptied into RO as my tank needed topping up for the day.

Great stuff £2.49 per capsule will get fluconazole then, i did have a quick look but most places i saw wanted £10 or so per tablet so gave up looking

wont use the itraconazole then not worth risking experimenting with my reef which just happens to be the same size as yours

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody with a clam try this? I've been trying to keep up with the thread, don't recall anyone mentioning clams are also ok...

I have a 6" Maxima clam and in day 7 of treatment and it's all good. Never closed up and looks as good as always. Nothing in my reef was affected my leathers and Zoe's all opened up next morning. I dosed after lights went off and fish were hiding.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning to treat a 23 G cube which is part of an 800 G setup. Weirdly only the cube gets bryopsis and HA. Ive previously bleached the rocks but bryopsis came back from few corals i guess. I can isolate the cube (take fish out and stop filtration)
-either bleach rocks again and change sand and still treat with fluco to kill any bryopsis on few corals. Dint mind having to restart the cube from dead rocks and new sand as cycle will be minimal due to the running system. Ill do a 100 percent water change to take off the phosphate from dead alga before connecting back to system
-treat rocks in fluco in a separate bucket with flow and change water with maintaining fluco concentration for 14 days (less die off in tne tank)
Treat corals in tank with fluco. Do a 100 percent water change before reconnecting to system.
Can also change sand...

Any advice on which of above options to go for? Dont mind an aggressive approach to avoud bryopsis spreading to the whole setup.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning to treat a 23 G cube which is part of an 800 G setup. Weirdly only the cube gets bryopsis and HA. Ive previously bleached the rocks but bryopsis came back from few corals i guess. I can isolate the cube (take fish out and stop filtration)
-either bleach rocks again and change sand and still treat with fluco to kill any bryopsis on few corals. Dint mind having to restart the cube from dead rocks and new sand as cycle will be minimal due to the running system. Ill do a 100 percent water change to take off the phosphate from dead alga before connecting back to system
-treat rocks in fluco in a separate bucket with flow and change water with maintaining fluco concentration for 14 days (less die off in tne tank)
Treat corals in tank with fluco. Do a 100 percent water change before reconnecting to system.
Can also change sand...

Any advice on which of above options to go for? Dont mind an aggressive approach to avoud bryopsis spreading to the whole setup.
I don't think you need to go to such extremes in order to get rid of the bryopsis. I would either isolate the tank and treat (if you're positive there are no spores in the main dt) or simply treat the whole system. The die off affected my parameters minimally.

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff £2.49 per capsule will get fluconazole then, i did have a quick look but most places i saw wanted £10 or so per tablet so gave up looking

wont use the itraconazole then not worth risking experimenting with my reef which just happens to be the same size as yours

Probably a good idea to go with what has been working safely. Somewhere it came up that fluconazole is the only anazole that is human safe and a go to choice in the prepper world. When I was researching, a prepper page came up about it.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after 14 days of no water changes or filtration my Nitrate is 1ppm and Phosphate is 0.05ppm (both up from 0), so it should be fine to go for another week or 2 with no filtration (and no WC in between). The vet happily gave me a second dose so with that tossed into the tank tonight hopefully the next week or 2 this derbasia can p*ss off :p

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learnt with Fluconazole -Never tell or disclose to your spouse the miracle that fluconazole did !!!! I did the mistake and now since I have no more work of scrubbing my tank after coming back from office ,
have been instructed to help in household work
DO NOT ,I REPEAT - DO NOT DISCLOSE THE MIRACLE DRUG TO YOUR SPOUSE ..;):):D

Regards,
ABHISHEK

Last edited:

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learnt with Fluconazole -Never tell or disclose to your spouse the miracle that fluconazole did !!!! I did the mistake and now since I have no more work of scrubbing my tank after coming back from office ,
have been instructed to help in household work
DO NOT ,I REPEAT - DO NOT DISCLOSE THE MIRACLE DRUG TO YOUR SPOUSE ..;):):D

Regards,
ABHISHEK

The first rule of fluconazole club

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back