Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy ,@Rick.45cal - My tank is looking so good that I do not want to even change water . All old and newly bought acros have way more PE than ever .
Wondering what's the long term impact of not running carbon and removing the medicine or doing like 2-5 mg/gallon of maintenance dose constantly ?

Regards,
Abhishek

I think stevo01 has a tank that is over a month now without a WC or removing the meds. As far as I know, nobody has dosed a maintenance dose regularly so we don't really know how it would impact our tanks long term. I think it's definitely something worth exploring though.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stevo01 has a tank that is over a month now without a WC or removing the meds. As far as I know, nobody has dosed a maintenance dose regularly so we don't really know how it would impact our tanks long term. I think it's definitely something worth exploring though.

Am planning to go without water change as long as I can by replenishing major and minor trace elements.
Also planning for a Triton test to reveal any deficiency or excess of elements.
Also, planning to document progress with 2mg/gallon every month and see where it goes. Am pretty happy with not using carbon as of now .

Regards,
Abhishek

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deffo interesting - I had Bryopsis either come in on a frag (couldnt see any evidence), or possibly rooted in the Aquaroche I got 2nd hand with the tank, and have been battling it ever since, got despondent with the tank, and stopped water changes for 2 months, and it seemed to start receding, as things were looking up, I thought I would run a water change (made up with AF probiotic salt), and boom, Bryopsis came back with a vengeance. Have tested new batch of water and levels are all spot on, wonder if something in the formula of AF Probiotic salt is feeding the Bryopsis.
Anways, I have been advised that my order of Fluconazole has been despatched, so waiting for it to get to UK, and I have everything I can crossed that it will kill off this b*stard "weed", and I can fall back in love with my tank :)
Hi, Mine took about 8 days and its trackable the whole time.

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to report back that after a 50% water change, 2 weeks later still no signs of new bryopsis and I even think it's continuing to kill off some off the stubborn strands. I'll be doing another 50% this week and we will see!

But so far it's pretty conclusive the stuff is a miracle cure

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Fluconazole treatment for Derbesia. Day 12 so far.

Very minimal to no change between days 0-8.

On day 8 I noticed the tips of 60-80% of the algae had started to turn white and most of the algae was looking kind of wilted.

Again very minimal change between days 8-12. I would say 95-100% of the algae now appears to have white tips and looks a bit wilted, however absolutely none of the algae is gone or even has more than just white tips, CUC (lots of trochus and turbo snails) and tangs are still not eating it.

Fish, clams, coral banded shrimp, coral and snails are all fine. However I have not seen my abalone or long spined urchin since day 1 of the treatment. Both are fairly small in a 6ft tank so they could be hiding, but I would still usually see the urchin at least once a week, if not more and the abalone had only been in there a week. I thought both were just hiding but now I'm not so sure.

"progress" (or lack of :p) pics haha. I won't be turning the skimmer, carbon, PO4 remover or ATS back on or doing a WC until at least day 21. I'm even thinking of trying to get another dose of Fluconazole from the Vet to re-dose on day 14 and just do a second treatment straight up.

PhotoGrid_1487766135765_zps26jh2cbd.png

PhotoGrid_1487766008605_zpshzuuwqul.png

PhotoGrid_1487765869237_zps89zo38en.png

Ryan J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK forgive me for asking the dumb question... But where are you guys buying this stuff? I've checked half a dozen places and all require a vet prescription.

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering does anyone think fluco will work on dino? I have that an bryopsis in my tank lucky me smh

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank btw what did you use to cover your overflows or is that just coralline buildup? They looks almost like rock. It's beautiful
Thank you! They are DIY Rock and are live :D So not to discuss this on this thread, here are links to where I show how I did them.
http://reef2reef.com/threads/diy-rock-tutorial-info-thread-rocks-walls-floors-etc.31971/page-6 Overflows and return begin on post # 106 and the beginning of my rock process is post # 79
Then more details on my build thread post # 55 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jackie-and-glenns-180g-reef-build.154350/page-3

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deffo interesting - I had Bryopsis either come in on a frag (couldnt see any evidence), or possibly rooted in the Aquaroche I got 2nd hand with the tank, and have been battling it ever since, got despondent with the tank, and stopped water changes for 2 months, and it seemed to start receding, as things were looking up, I thought I would run a water change (made up with AF probiotic salt), and boom, Bryopsis came back with a vengeance. Have tested new batch of water and levels are all spot on, wonder if something in the formula of AF Probiotic salt is feeding the Bryopsis.
Anways, I have been advised that my order of Fluconazole has been despatched, so waiting for it to get to UK, and I have everything I can crossed that it will kill off this b*stard "weed", and I can fall back in love with my tank :)
My order was made on the 16th, dispatched on the same day and arrived to me in the UK this morning, pretty good service. It's sent special delivery so you have to be in to receive it but don't need to sign for it. They won't leave it with a neighbour.
John

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do for the Dino?
You could try h202 treatments or Vibrant. I'm on my cell ATM but do a search on R2R for treatment options and possibly someone could post a link or 2 for you via pm. @twilliard

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Fluconazole treatment for Derbesia. Day 12 so far.

Very minimal to no change between days 0-8.

On day 8 I noticed the tips of 60-80% of the algae had started to turn white and most of the algae was looking kind of wilted.

Again very minimal change between days 8-12. I would say 95-100% of the algae now appears to have white tips and looks a bit wilted, however absolutely none of the algae is gone or even has more than just white tips, CUC (lots of trochus and turbo snails) and tangs are still not eating it.

Fish, clams, coral banded shrimp, coral and snails are all fine. However I have not seen my abalone or long spined urchin since day 1 of the treatment. Both are fairly small in a 6ft tank so they could be hiding, but I would still usually see the urchin at least once a week, if not more and the abalone had only been in there a week. I thought both were just hiding but now I'm not so sure.

"progress" (or lack of :p) pics haha. I won't be turning the skimmer, carbon, PO4 remover or ATS back on or doing a WC until at least day 21. I'm even thinking of trying to get another dose of Fluconazole from the Vet to re-dose on day 14 and just do a second treatment straight up.

PhotoGrid_1487766135765_zps26jh2cbd.png

PhotoGrid_1487766008605_zpshzuuwqul.png

PhotoGrid_1487765869237_zps89zo38en.png

I can definitely see that it's working but you have so much it may be best to go ahead and give it another dose. It is turning white and getting weaker looking but another dose should not hurt anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering does anyone think fluco will work on dino? I have that an bryopsis in my tank lucky me smh

I wish this worked for dinos. That would really put the icing on the cake right there! Kill bryopis,gha and dinos!!! Sadly it doesnt effect dinos at all. I still have plenty in my tank that I've been struggling with.
Here's the link for twilliards thread on dinos.... http://reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-dinos-a-possible-cure-follow-along-and-see.253917/

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the loop for a few months. Kind of left my tank alone because of a move that didnt go so well and bryopsis that I've been battling for couple of years.
Those that have knocked out bryopsis beat with combination of vibrant or has there been that beat it without it?
I read first 50 or so pages but looks as if everyone used vibrant first

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the loop for a few months. Kind of left my tank alone because of a move that didnt go so well and bryopsis that I've been battling for couple of years.
Those that have knocked out bryopsis beat with combination of vibrant or has there been that beat it without it?
I read first 50 or so pages but looks as if everyone used vibrant first
I quit vibrant before using fluconazole. Vibrant caused a severe cyanobacteria outbreak. I quit it's use and treated my tank with chemiclean. Then was told about this thread. I beat it in my 180 without vibrant

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back