Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see that it's working but you have so much it may be best to go ahead and give it another dose. It is turning white and getting weaker looking but another dose should not hurt anything.
Yeah it is definitely working, my internal debate is more about if it needs more time or more meds. I'm leaning towards more meds :p. The algae is covering pretty much every surface though so I agree that its likely just because I have so much of it. I'll be testing NO3 and PO4 tonight when I get home from work to make sure I will be fine for another fortnight with not WC and will try and get some more from the vet tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to pay a consult fee this time haha

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the loop for a few months. Kind of left my tank alone because of a move that didnt go so well and bryopsis that I've been battling for couple of years.
Those that have knocked out bryopsis beat with combination of vibrant or has there been that beat it without it?
I read first 50 or so pages but looks as if everyone used vibrant first
No vibrant here...... not done treatment yet.... seems to be dieing

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on Day 10 of Treatment with amazing results, I plan on a 30% change Sunday, and let the tank recoup for a month than do a second does if needed. Now that the green hair is mostly gone, it has revealed a slew of Bubble Algae and some Cyno, I would like to treat the bubble first, than Chemiclean the slime away. Should I go ahead and try treating the Bubble with Vibrant right now or should I let the tank recoup for a week or so than move on to a bubble algae treatment.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the sounds of it fluconazale puts no stress on tanks. I see no reason not to start vibrant

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow reefers, this discovery is simply game changing for so many of us

Does anybody know if Itraconazole will have the same affect as the Fluconazole as the Itraconazole is available to me and would save me a lot of hassle to acquire as getting meds here in the uk is somewhat awkward

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Fluconazole treatment for Derbesia. Day 12 so far.

Very minimal to no change between days 0-8.

On day 8 I noticed the tips of 60-80% of the algae had started to turn white and most of the algae was looking kind of wilted.

Again very minimal change between days 8-12. I would say 95-100% of the algae now appears to have white tips and looks a bit wilted, however absolutely none of the algae is gone or even has more than just white tips, CUC (lots of trochus and turbo snails) and tangs are still not eating it.

Fish, clams, coral banded shrimp, coral and snails are all fine. However I have not seen my abalone or long spined urchin since day 1 of the treatment. Both are fairly small in a 6ft tank so they could be hiding, but I would still usually see the urchin at least once a week, if not more and the abalone had only been in there a week. I thought both were just hiding but now I'm not so sure.

"progress" (or lack of :p) pics haha. I won't be turning the skimmer, carbon, PO4 remover or ATS back on or doing a WC until at least day 21. I'm even thinking of trying to get another dose of Fluconazole from the Vet to re-dose on day 14 and just do a second treatment straight up.

PhotoGrid_1487766135765_zps26jh2cbd.png

PhotoGrid_1487766008605_zpshzuuwqul.png

PhotoGrid_1487765869237_zps89zo38en.png
I am in the same boat. After almost 4 weeks my debris is 70% dead. Just bought another doset and will retreat tomorrow.

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow reefers, this discovery is simply game changing for so many of us

Does anybody know if Itraconazole will have the same affect as the Fluconazole as the Itraconazole is available to me and would save me a lot of hassle to acquire as getting meds here in the uk is somewhat awkward
There is a link to where its available from, I ordered mine from the US and it took 8 days to arrive and fully trackable all the way.

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats great cheers tony and john thanks for the help i will order some if need be then ,im hoping though that Itraconazole will be an option as i wont have to order any then.. cheers

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats great cheers tony and john thanks for the help i will order some if need be then ,im hoping though that Itraconazole will be an option as i wont have to order any then.. cheers
It seems to work in the same way as fluconazole, it suppresses the production of ergosterol, so it may do the job. Please let us know how you get on.
John

morgank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody with a clam try this? I've been trying to keep up with the thread, don't recall anyone mentioning clams are also ok...

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back