Building a stand and sump

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not buy pressure treated. Not only does it require special hardware, which is easy to take care of, but the big thing is that it is typically sold wet, and when it dries, it warps, twists, an bends all over the place. You don't want it.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not buy pressure treated. Not only does it require special hardware, which is easy to take care of, but the big thing is that it is typically sold wet, and when it dries, it warps, twists, an bends all over the place. You don't want it.
Thank you for this. Any other advice to stick with?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just left Lowes. I picked up 8 2x6s and 10 2x4s. I assume this is way more than I needed.. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it if anything. I purchased these screws.. are they the right ones? I actually got two packs cause the larger pack didn't list the amount of them.. plus I figured like the wood, you can never have too many screws. I will begin the build tomorrow.The wood was as straight and perfect looking as I could find.. ( who would have known that choosing straight wood/ non split wood was so hard?) I found a sheet of 1/4 (I think) plywood in my basement that I will make use to I think.. Will that throw my dimensions and stuff off? Should I just build the tank as normal and just place that on top? Not sure how it can work if its un-level. Any advice for setting it up and cutting or just about anything.. Would be great. I am thinking about creating a new thread, that will link to this one. So anyone in the future can look up an idiots way to build a 48.5 x24 1/2 and 36 inches high. I found a lot of help by using the search bar so I would like to help someone if I ever can.

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is recommended to make the inside as water proof ? Is the stand retaining water incase of an overflow possible? Is there any steps or tricks to get a perfect sheet of wood cut for the bottom/top? I would like to start a cabinetry project, or at least some sort of framing.. Any idea what materials I should use? It came out great thanks to everyones help. I think I would like to keep the back unarmed if it isn't necessary. I guess I am not really sure what to do for the sump itself.. Like do people figure out a type of measurement that allows all types of failures to not end up flooding the floors? I was looking at building my sump, and was wondering if its possible to cut through glass or acrylic to create custom baffles and filter holders, basically to replicate professional sumps. I will be going to grab some sort of paint tomorrow.. I am not really sure what to put on it.
IMG_0670.JPG

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do but unfortunately its on another "forum" that I recently abandoned due to this one being soooo much better lol.

By the way OP, my stand is 48 1/2"w x 24 1/2"d x 40" high. Sized to fit a 120, or 150 tall.

Getting ready to build as well...would you recommend the 40" height again if you had to do it all over again? I was thinking of going 40" as well in order to maximize space inside the cabinet for a possible shelf, plumbing, light(s), etc... to keep it from being cramped. I'm setting up a 75g and will mostly be viewing this tank from a standing position.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to build as well...would you recommend the 40" height again if you had to do it all over again? I was thinking of going 40" as well in order to maximize space inside the cabinet for a possible shelf, plumbing, light(s), etc... to keep it from being cramped. I'm setting up a 75g and will mostly be viewing this tank from a standing position.

Hmmm thats a tough question. I must say, this height really makes for an incredible viewing experience. However, anytime I have to do something in the tank, as simple as removing a little bit of uneaten clam on the half shell, I moan and groan lol.

I dont know, when people come over, Everyone ends up hanging out in front of the torso-high tank marveling at it which is pretty rewarding but that said, Im already planning the next one for the same location and it will be in-wall build, and lower in height.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back