Calculating starting kalkwasser dosage in terms of alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran into that issue myself and decided to stop using Kalkwasser and went back to 2-PART only. I didn't see the point of dosing multiple solutions and using multiple dosing head to get the same results. To explain: I had to use several dosing heads for Kalk because each head was limited to 1000ML per day.

The usefulness of kalkwasser, while still an excellent choice, has been reduced by the fact that one can now DIY two part additives with the same pH boost as kalkwasser by using sodium hydroxide for the alk part.

jrounding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usefulness of kalkwasser, while still an excellent choice, has been reduced by the fact that one can now DIY two part additives with the same pH boost as kalkwasser by using sodium hydroxide for the alk part.
Randy, I think one of the neat things about kalkwasser is you only need a single head continuous duty dosing pump to do both calcium and alkalinity. I am interested in trying it. I've been two part dosing for quite some time now and am going to switch over to your DIY two part when kalkwasser isn't enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I think one of the neat things about kalkwasser is you only need a single head continuous duty dosing pump to do both calcium and alkalinity. I am interested in trying it. I've been two part dosing for quite some time now and am going to switch over to your DIY two part when kalkwasser isn't enough.

Sounds like a good plan. I used limewater (kalkwasser) as the only dosed source of alk and calcium in my tank for 20 years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back