OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm a bit surprised the leds alone + 2h of the t5 are enough light for coral.

Can you post a couple of pics of the sps? Color seems a little off from the FTS shot.
I'm sure it's not. I'm still acclimating. Think I should increase it faster?

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm a bit surprised the leds alone + 2h of the t5 are enough light for coral.

Can you post a couple of pics of the sps? Color seems a little off from the FTS shot.
I don't have a latest pic of the SPS and I'm in moonlight mode now. Here's the chalice from a few days ago tho. Turned brown and started to lighten around the edges so I've been adding light faster and it looks a bit better in the pat few days... Or maybe my imagination....

20170122_200055.jpg

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trimming it?
Not yet. It's taken over about half the fuge, but I don't want to lose any nitrate sucking power so I've left it alone.
I don't have a latest pic of the SPS and I'm in moonlight mode now. Here's the chalice from a few days ago tho. Turned brown and started to lighten around the edges so I've been adding light faster and it looks a bit better in the pat few days... Or maybe my imagination....

20170122_200055.jpg

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I think you need to keep the t5's on, that looks not so good to me.

Rather than changing duration, keep it on 8-10h whatever you want and use window screens over the top of the tank. When you start, use a bunch of layers. Each week or so take one layer off. I'm talking about the charcoal fiberglass window screens that you use to keep bugs out.

I don't know anything about the leds you run, but might not be putting out enough light to hit the bottom.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I think you need to keep the t5's on, that looks not so good to me.

Rather than changing duration, keep it on 8-10h whatever you want and use window screens over the top of the tank. When you start, use a bunch of layers. Each week or so take one layer off. I'm talking about the charcoal fiberglass window screens that you use to keep bugs out.

I don't know anything about the leds you run, but might not be putting out enough light to hit the bottom.
dang. Hoping it was my imagination... Okay, thanks for the advice. I will. I've been really worried about the lighting actually. SPS will be happy... probably won't help the shroom issue tho.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms love the light as much as my sps :)

based on thirds comments I was also going to suggest moving them into more direct light to see how they react.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep what Chris said. Just acclimate and keep in the low flow. Some shrooms are high light, some low, most don't care.
Hah. Maybe that's my issue. Not enough light for anyone.

How many layers of screen do you think I should I start with?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm a newbie. My tank is six months old. Levels are and always have been really good. Tests show barely any nitrates (but healthy algae growth so it's there, just controlled I guess). I had abnormally low magnesium for a while but I cured that with a BRS magnesium mix a few weeks ago. Started stocking at three months. Fish are healthy, inverts are healthy.

Problem is, I bought some green mushrooms about six weeks ago. They were good for about three weeks, but then shrunk to almost nothing and haven't come back again. They're not in direct light. I moved them one time to a different spot in the tank to see if that would help. Nope. Now, my green hairy mushroom is also looking bad. Got him three weeks ago. Also shaded. Looked great for the first two weeks. Now he looks horrible as well, has had a big open mouth for the past two weeks.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I thought these were supposed to be the most forgiving of the softies?

Before:
20170114_193202.jpg

20161210_151917.jpg

Now:
20170131_204619.jpg

20170122_203934.jpg

Help! Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
How long have they been acting up? Check their feet, sometimes they shrink or look upset when they reproduce by tearing its foot. If theres no brown blob stuff on or near the shroom, i wouldnt worry, just needs some time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back