Chemiclean Nuked tank!

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in this topic I will be referred to Vanessa and They is referred to Chemiclean throughout this statement. OK by the sheets i got faxed today there are no problems with the breaking of the compounds, the can be a increase enzymes. I was told that a good way to start the product for the purpose of medicating a salt water environment is mixing it in hot water, this insures a total breakdown. there is a possibility that the medication has not broken down properly creating a mass, if that said mass collides with a secretion or the chemical imbalance. In turn may cause a.... and i feel in my opinion that the drug in this manner may break down the oxygen. at this point they are stating that they inform customer full knowledge that their oxygen needs to be at at least an 9% higher then normal rate for the first 12 hours. There should not be any harm if there is nothing decaying or raising amona levels. there will always be different situations on how the medication that is called Chemiclean will react to many different situations, this drug was tested and reviewed for 2 years before getting FDA approved. I believe that they would stand by there product if notified that you had a full crash they would help you to determine the cause best to there abilities without knowing how said person took care of there salt water aquarium. If this product used over 12 hours will increase enzymes at a .0023 rate per amount used in that time. If a perimeters are in a safe and producing manner you could mix said product in hot water and dump it all in and be safe. One note that I offer is that I have learned that people like to raise their salt water adventure to there liking, you may or may not like the product but they are valid in all FDA rules and regulations. I myself will not be using this product because I feel that I would like to use another avenue. SO it comes down to..... do you think that your tank can with increasing the oxygen withstand the said product compounds and chemicals. Chemicals may collide in any situation, it is a personal choice that has to be made when you are using toxic chemicals. Thank you for letting me look into this if you have any medication questions regarding breakdowns through FDA just give me a shout

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the first few pages and then jumped to the last few. So I could have missed this, but a few pages back you mentioned using GFO to absorb any Po4 that was released. Do you normally use GFO and if so did you increase the amount you put in. Or do you not normally use GFO and just introduced it to help with Po4. The symptoms are very much like what happens when too much GFO is used and the water is stripped of Po4 to quickly. Just something that stuck out for me, sorry if it has already been adressed.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think that your tank can with increasing the oxygen withstand the said product compounds and chemicals.
yes. and were I to have an unknown bacterial infection on coral or rock I would consider its use. I would however consider lower doses(praying calculated the water volume correctly) repeat the application over several days. Rather than one larger initial load dose.
Now knowing that in preparation of its use to aerate the water as best as humanly possible.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think it's erythromycin cetyl sulfate. :)
I'm pretty darn sure it is, although I would still love to see the actual lab results quoted in the German article I posted. I just can't figure out how to pull it up because.. well... I only know how to order beer in German.

Kenny719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I did but who knows for certain? 8 scoops into a 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump with sand and rock. My hypothesis is the dosage was too high or shelf life had expired or...idk. If dosage was too high it blows my mind that the line between success and disaster is so fine. It's not like I used teaspoons of the stuff on accident. The tank in current form has been up for years and some parts of it carried forward from various tanks over the course of 10 years.

I agree I think 8 scoops is a little way to much. I would of started if I used it but I don't, that I would of started with 10ml. Of it then started slowly increase next day or two.... That sounds like a good bacteria bloom what's making it get so cloudy... Same way if you do Vodka dosageing you have to start low with dosageing and graduate on up till you have a good level on your water chemistry levels.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I think 8 scoops is a little way to much. I would of started if I used it but I don't, that I would of started with 10ml. Of it then started slowly increase next day or two.
I'd be hard pressed to say that was the problem since many people have said they almost doubled the dosage in order to get it to be effective. And they had no problems.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things look to have fully died today :(
6d430bc6bf0c76400f23441ed284b953.jpg
d6289149cf7885bb166880d2681fef10.jpg

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One head of multi colored branching hammer and a watermelon chalice but a couple things might be better and most zoas looking better

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. and were I to have an unknown bacterial infection on coral or rock I would consider its use. I would however consider lower doses(praying calculated the water volume correctly) repeat the application over several days. Rather than one larger initial load dose.
Now knowing that in preparation of its use to aerate the water as best as humanly possible.
so with that said the said product i feel has different effects on different systems. but i can verify that there perpetrators are in reasonable compliance

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for these losses.

I have a similar setup, 75 g DT and 30 g sump. I always just estimate that I have 100 g (which is an overestimate of true water volume) and I've used 10 scoops of chemiclean the previous times I've used it with no issues, and no additional oxygenation. I have left the skimmer on, though, with the cup removed, allowing it to overflow back into the sump. I should note though, that I have no zoas or palys.

Kenny719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hard pressed to say that was the problem since many people have said they almost doubled the dosage in order to get it to be effective. And they had no problems.

Okay well, every tank is different and everyone's water chemistry is different and depends on how much bacteria is built up in the tank that you can't see.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fear is that even one's with color will continue to deteriorate :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fear is that even one's with color will continue to deteriorate :(
I hope that most of yours come back like I have seen from a small number of others. In some cases the sps's didn't show a sign of life until a week after the event.
Still hurts to see those pictures of your tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back