Chloroquine phosphate

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to dose powder praziquantel without any solubilizing agent (like what is found in Prazipro). It will take longer to dissolve this way, but IME it is still effective for deworming. I buy mine in bulk from here, and I also add metronidazole to it. But API General Cure achieves the same mix without the hefty "buy in bulk" price tag: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16807

Do you recommend doing a water change after the fist treatment with General Cure? Or should I wait until I do the second treatment?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend doing a water change after the fist treatment with General Cure? Or should I wait until I do the second treatment?

Wait until the second treatment. But be sure the replacement water is treated with CP if mixing both meds.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; CP works great on mandarins. No appetite suppression like with copper. But CP will kill pods as soon as they hit the water, so your mandy will need to be either pellet or frozen trained.
Thanks humble I just saw u replied I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a mandarin in my tank with no diseases I'll have to look into this a lot more
Thanks again
Justin

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks. I think I'm going to get a bellus angel next, have you had any experience with these and CP?

Not Bellus; but I have used CP on a pair of Spotbreast, Watanabei and a few Lamarck's. All Genicanthus angels.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks. I think I'm going to get a bellus angel next, have you had any experience with these and CP?
I have put one thru CP with no issues. I have also put scribbled,Regal,bandit,false Personifers, asfur, Conspicuous, Griffis and venustus angels thru CP with no problems. I did have a Colini not make it but I can't say that was CP for sure

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, has anyone done a study to figure out how much extra or often you have to dose CP in a Display tank that has higher levels of bacteria present to be effective? I know that public aquariums and zoos use CP in tanks and the bacteria levels present in those systems has to be much more than I have available. I'm currently using coppersafe in my DT because of Ich from a frag and I really don't like using it at all. I am willing to spend whatever it takes to dose CP everyday if need be but it's a fine line since I can't test for it. I am seriously considering investing in whatever the name of the machine that can test for it... LOL

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheRealDmorty217 As you know, information regarding CP for our purposes is limited; and all of my experimentation with it has been done in a QT.

However, @Reef Fever is a public aquarium employee who may have experience using it in a DT environment. He has mentioned using a Hach DR5000 Spectrophotometer to test the Chloroquine levels at work.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is in that stuff?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is in that stuff?

What stuff? CP = Chloroquine phosphate. It was primarily developed to treat malaria, but (lucky for us) also happens to treat external parasites in marine fish. Without the nasty side effects copper has (true for most fish).

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stuff? CP = Chloroquine phosphate. It was primarily developed to treat malaria, but (lucky for us) also happens to treat external parasites in marine fish. Without the nasty side effects copper has (true for most fish).
So is it like a controlled substance or something?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it like a controlled substance or something?

In the US, its an FDA regulated drug which requires a prescription to purchase legitimately. But back when I lived in the UK it could be had at any chemist (what they call the drugstore) without a Rx.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do you know what specific test is run with the photometer? I have been in contact with Hach but in order for them to help me they need to know what specific test is being run to measure the CP. Chlorine and phosphate were both mentioned but those may or may not be present in the water with or without the CP. By the way the DR spectophotometer 6000 is $8400! I need some more information so they can provide me with a cheaper solution to test for the CP!!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do you know what specific test is run with the photometer? I have been in contact with Hach but in order for them to help me they need to know what specific test is being run to measure the CP. Chlorine and phosphate were both mentioned but those may or may not be present in the water with or without the CP. By the way the DR spectophotometer 6000 is $8400! I need some more information so they can provide me with a cheaper solution to test for the CP!!

I'll look into it, but @Reef Fever would be more apt to answer that question. Might wanna PM him.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully used CP on fairy/flasher wrasses, so has a LFS I advise. The problem I encountered was trying to use CP on Sixline & Melanurus wrasses, so I probably would be careful using CP on any wrasses that are the same genus as those two (Pseudocheilinus & Halichoeres, respectively).

I've never used CP or copper on a Leopard Wrasse. Last time I had one of those, I used TTM. However, a fellow local forum member (@vedros74) reported success using Copper Power on more than one Leopard, I believe.

This is only my experience, but I just had a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) that went through a little over 30-days of CP with no issues. Didn't notice any appetite suppression.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only my experience, but I just had a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) that went through a little over 30-days of CP with no issues. Didn't notice any appetite suppression.

This is what is so frustrating about CP; every Halichoeres wrasse I've tried in CP has withered away & died. :(

What kind of CP were you using? Where was it sourced from?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to cringe, but it's from ebay. I bought it before you listed the vet supplier, which will be my next source.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to cringe, but it's from ebay. I bought it before you listed the vet supplier, which will be my next source.

If its "watered down" CP that might explain why the Halichoeres wrasse is able to tolerate it. However, so may the parasites you are trying to kill. ;)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back