Chloroquine phosphate

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what Ive read you would need to add it after you change the water 10+ days out after the CP treatment - Im still new so not positive

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok would I add the meds at the beginning of quarantining the fish or should the fish be in the tank a few days then medicate if I notice a change? Which I may not know what I'm looking for being first time setting up QT.

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok would I add the meds at the beginning of quarantining the fish or should the fish be in the tank a few days then medicate if I notice a change? Which I may not know what I'm looking for being first time setting up QT.
Im about to start my first QT Tuesday also but I dont think your supposed to. QT for 10+ days in CP then water change or carbon for a few days then add your other meds - IS what I think your supposed to do, Wait for someone else to chime in

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 40 mg/gal

+1 CP is a "one & done" drug. You treat for 30 days and then run carbon/do water changes to remove the medication. You can shorten treatment time only if you have a second QT to transfer the fish into after about 2 weeks.

You can mix API General Cure with CP, but it is never optimal to mix medications. Just follow the instructions on the box, except wait 5-7 days to repeat dosage instead of the 48 hrs the box says.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest getting the fish eating in QT before adding meds, unless you see signs of illness. CP has been reported to suppress appetite so making sure the fish gets a few good meals before the medication wouldn't be a bad idea.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a vet that will write me some cp but none of my drug store here carry it and they said they cant get it so where can I get it from help please

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a QT on the 31st of Oct. 10gal tank. Salinity was 1.018, temp ranged from 78.7-79.7. Aqua Clear HOB, filter seeded in DT for 30days. Had four air stone for aeration. Have two pieces of PVC for hiding. Using a Seachem ammonia alert monitor. I placed a small Lamarck Angel and a Falco Hawk in the tank with no meds. Wanted to get them eating before adding any meds. These is a tank for our school so I left for the day and came in the next morning and the Angel had died. The hawkfish seemed ok just a little rapid breathing. It did eat a little of the Reef frenzy I put in but the breathing did not changed throughout the day. Came in the next morning and it had died sometime during the night. This was Nov. 1st. Changed the air stone out for a small power head for more surface agitation, thinking they were not getting enough oxygen. Bought another hawkfish on the Nov. 2nd and place in QT and few hours later it was displaying the same symptoms of heaving breath. Adding API General Cure and CP. Within the hour it was dead. Can someone tell where I went wrong? Would like to add a couple more fish to our DT but want to do it the right way with QT first. These of the pics of the last Hawkfish.

IMG_20161103_135123.jpg

IMG_20161103_135152.jpg

IMG_20161103_135228.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ltrace Two guesses:
  1. A fast killing disease which afflicts the gills (exs. velvet, flukes) was present in the QT before you dosed CP & GC.
  2. A toxin has gotten into the QT water.
I would thoroughly investigate #2 as a possibility, as custodians use chemicals to clean and I'm sure roach spray is also used in a school environment.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back