Chloroquine phosphate

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought another hawkfish on the Nov. 2nd and place in QT and few hours later it was displaying the same symptoms of heaving breath. Adding API General Cure and CP. Within the hour it was dead. Can someone tell where I went wrong? Would like to add a couple more fish to our DT but want to do it the right way with QT first. These of the pics of the last Hawkfish.
Anytime you finish a quarantine session whether successful or not, sterilize the tank and all equipment before use again!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you finish a quarantine session whether successful or not, sterilize the tank and all equipment before use again!

Good advice, although not always practical to do. ;) An alternative is to dose 3ppm chlorine, which should evaporate in roughly 72 hrs, in-between batches of fish. Just be sure to always have an extra bio-filter "seeding" in your DT sump. :)

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i use cp on scopas, kole and phillipines yellow tang?

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 100% Cp powder 500mg capsules / 10g

Last edited:

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I currently have a black cap basslet and leopard wrasse in Hospital QT. The basslet went through 15 days treatment of CP at 40mg. Every 5 days I was redosing based on reading and water changes. Black cap shows no signs of disease and is eating well.

I picked up the leopard wrasse on Sunday. I did a 50% water change and stopped CP treatment.

I just got a call from my LFS that a Scopas tang came in that I was looking for. I wasn't anticipating this but I am wanting to pick it up.

I've read about bad experiences with wrasses and CP can I expect the same on the Leopard or can I begin treatment with CP again? Wrasse is eating and very active.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I currently have a black cap basslet and leopard wrasse in Hospital QT. The basslet went through 15 days treatment of CP at 40mg. Every 5 days I was redosing based on reading and water changes. Black cap shows no signs of disease and is eating well.

I picked up the leopard wrasse on Sunday. I did a 50% water change and stopped CP treatment.

I just got a call from my LFS that a Scopas tang came in that I was looking for. I wasn't anticipating this but I am wanting to pick it up.

I've read about bad experiences with wrasses and CP can I expect the same on the Leopard or can I begin treatment with CP again? Wrasse is eating and very active.

Leopards arn't on the list of wrasses that have a bad reaction, though every fish is different and should be watched for a bad reaction with any med.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be .4g per 10g
.040 gram x 10gal

+1 You would dose .4 grams, or 400 mg, for a 10 gal QT.

I WOULD NOT use CP on any wrasses until more anecdotal experiences become available.

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. I am the custodian for the school and I am the one taking care of DT and QT. I'm very particular about any foreign chemicals around the fish tanks. The tanks sits in front of an interior window that I don't use window cleaner but RODI water to clean the glass. We are a technical school without a cafeteria so we don't have need for roach spray on site.
Once again thank you for experience and knowledge that really has helped us. We want to move forward in the QT process. Besides dumping the water in the QT what else should I do to prepare for next fish. Not giving on the process. Just one setback to move forward.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again thank you for experience and knowledge that really has helped us. We want to move forward in the QT process. Besides dumping the water in the QT what else should I do to prepare for next fish. Not giving on the process. Just one setback to move forward.

I personally would dump all the water and clean everything using vinegar (or even bleach.) Then let everything air dry for a few days in order to sterilize. Sometimes when you are losing fish in QT for an apparent reason, it's easier to just hit the reset button than to try to figure out what's gone wrong. ;)

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. When I start to quarantine fish again should I put the meds in right away or see if the fish would start eating first?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. When I start to quarantine fish again should I put the meds in right away or see if the fish would start eating first?

When using CP, I dose it before the fish even enters QT. To get a jump on things in case the fish is carrying velvet or some other external parasite. However, an argument can be made for ensuring the fish is eating before administering medications. Just be sure to keep a close out for any symptoms of disease (even behavioral ones) while doing this.

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask how long does it take using Cp to break the lifecycle of brook and velvet?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask how long does it take using Cp to break the lifecycle of brook and velvet?

30 days straight and you're fish should be good to go. Some time for observation afterward would be a good idea of course.

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned so much about the ich they are in hypo for that, what I'm hoping to do if the life cycle for velvet and brook are over in 3 weeks or less is .. ,take the cp out, keep them in hypo & treat with prazipro for the rest of the 30 days.however, i'd like to be confident that the brook and velvet have been treated.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned so much about the ich they are in hypo for that, what I'm hoping to do if the life cycle for velvet and brook are over in 3 weeks or less is .. ,take the cp out, keep them in hypo & treat with prazipro for the rest of the 30 days.however, i'd like to be confident that the brook and velvet have been treated.

It's still 30 days hun.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back