OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh. I'm glad I didn't forget all of it that quickly. How did you acclimate?
I normally do drip acclimation but was in a hurry to get fish in better water and water that wasn't as cold. My car broke down on the way back to my house so I was stranded for 45 min with no heat in the car hence why I couldn't drip acclimate...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do drip acclimation but was in a hurry to get fish in better water and water that wasn't as cold. My car broke down on the way back to my house so I was stranded for 45 min with no heat in the car hence why I couldn't drip acclimate...

OK. So she came from an LFS? How did she act there? Was she swimming normally? Difficult for the store employee to catch? Did you watch her eat before netting her? These guys don't ship well a lot of the time, so great care has to be taken. They are difficult anyway and considered expert level fish.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So she came from an LFS? How did she act there? Was she swimming normally? Difficult for the store employee to catch? Did you watch her eat before netting her? These guys don't ship well a lot of the time, so great care has to be taken. They are difficult anyway and considered expert level fish.
No, she was shipped from bluezoo. I had to go pick them up from the closest fed ex. Which was sioux falls. So I had to drive and hour and a half to get them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, she was shipped from bluezoo. I had to go pick them up from the closest fed ex. Which was sioux falls. So I had to drive and hour and a half to get them.

Ahh. ok. So, I'll tell you what my experience with these guys has been. We get them into the store pretty often and in groups of six or so each time. Usually, we will lose at least two out of the six within 2 or 3 days. If the rest eat and start showing themselves during the day, then they will usually do fine until they go home. At that point QT is needed to treat for flukes and ick. If i were you, I'd do my level best to make it stress free for her. She might not make it, and I"m sorry for that, but you can do a few things for her.

1. make sure she has sand to hide in
2. Be absolutely sure there is no ammonia present in the water
3. Get her eating and soon
4. Check for redness around the gills. If present, try a methyline blue dip to help heal any damage done during shipping or acclimation.
5. Lots of O2 in the water

Unless she shows more symptoms to help us pinpoint a less ambiguous diagnosis, this is what I'm going with. It's 50/50.

I should add that I brought home two blue star leopards to QT. One for a friend and one for me. The friend's did this exact same thing, mine didn't. The friend's didn't make it despite my efforts to save her. I thought is was a swim bladder issue too, but I could never confirm. Unless she shows a swollen abdomen it will be hard to tell for sure.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. ok. So, I'll tell you what my experience with these guys has been. We get them into the store pretty often and in groups of six or so each time. Usually, we will lose at least two out of the six within 2 or 3 days. If the rest eat and start showing themselves during the day, then they will usually do fine until they go home. At that point QT is needed to treat for flukes and ick. If i were you, I'd do my level best to make it stress free for her. She might not make it, and I"m sorry for that, but you can do a few things for her.

4. Check for redness around the gills. If present, try a methyline blue dip to help heal any damage done during shipping or acclimation.

Unless she shows more symptoms to help us pinpoint a less ambiguous diagnosis, this is what I'm going with. It's 50/50.
Ok. Plan is to feed her today. Will add garlic, and selcon in hopes to keep her immune system up

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard several suggest to use vibrant as a preventive. I don't see how it would nuke a tank. When you say nuke what are you saying actually happened.

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I ask is I am using it on my tank as a preventative and haven't ran into any issue from it. I would like to know what to watch for.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I should add that I brought home two blue star leopards to QT. One for a friend and one for me. The friend's did this exact same thing, mine didn't. The friend's didn't make it despite my efforts to save her. I thought is was a swim bladder issue too, but I could never confirm. Unless she shows a swollen abdomen it will be hard to tell for sure.
I tried feeding today...not a whole lot of eating from her....royal gramma ate fine, I think she's still stressed to much. Do u think I could use any meds to start off with a healthy start?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried feeding today...not a whole lot of eating from her....royal gramma ate fine, I think she's still stressed to much. Do u think I could use any meds to start off with a healthy start?

You could try a methyline blue dip... but I wouldn't start with any meds just yet. You can run her through copper or TTM and prazipro... but give her another day to settle in and see if she starts acting better for you. If you're set up for TTM, then just continue to do that and wait on prazi until she's acting better for you.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think she would make it through the bath?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how much strength she has. You can try the rally (in a dip) if you think she's not improving. I have to go to work, so I'll check on you when I get back home tonight.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I saw the video you emailed me - your wrasse appears to be fine from the video, she is behaving as leopards typically do in QT without sand (no need to add) for the first few days or so.

I wouldn't worry just keep water parameters in great shape and hope she eats!

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I saw the video you emailed me - your wrasse appears to be fine from the video, she is behaving as leopards typically do in QT without sand (no need to add) for the first few days or so.

She didn't eat anything yet....I fed with selcon and garlic mixed with lrs fertility frenzy. I'm waiting for my brine shrimp to hatch

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And I did put a container with sand in the qt...she has not touched it really...also, she can't keep herself upright very well...is that normal?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my .02, its fine to observe the fish. get some o2 into the water and watch, as you get ready for the rest. the hob is probably quite enough for gas exchange if it breaking the surface hard like mine does.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back