OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my .02, its fine to observe the fish. get some o2 into the water and watch, as you get ready for the rest. the hob is probably quite enough for gas exchange if it breaking the surface hard like mine does.
I have the hob and a hob protein skimmer. Water quality is almost emaculate.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hob and a hob protein skimmer. Water quality is almost emaculate.
Patience my friend, our fish friends are here for ya. the fish did just come from a bag, so they are pretty interesting to watch as they get used to the new home.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience my friend, our fish friends are here for ya. the fish did just come from a bag, so they are pretty interesting to watch as they get used to the new home.
Yeah but it isn't really swimming at all....just resting on something on the bottom barely moving. Breathing somewhat fast

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I did put a container with sand in the qt...she has not touched it really...also, she can't keep herself upright very well...is that normal?
Yeah since she hasn't found it rather than burrow she'll hang at the bottom of the qt and behave strangely, even lay on her side at times. I think that fish looks pretty healthy, personally

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but it isn't really swimming at all....just resting on something on the bottom barely moving. Breathing somewhat fast
This is conetely normal leopard in qt behavior - in fact since seeing the video, I would venture to say she looks healthier than most this early! She's doing great from what videos you showed me! :)

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is conetely normal leopard in qt behavior - in fact since seeing the video, I would venture to say she looks healthier than most this early! She's doing great from what videos you showed me! :)
So it's normal to run into things as well and stick to the bottom and keep her head down on the bottom when swimming?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's normal to run into things as well and stick to the bottom and keep her head down on the bottom when swimming?

On occasion, yes. She's trying to burrow but cannot and feels safe along the bottom. It's common for them to not pay attention where they're going when newly added to a tank which is one reason they often have mouth injuries from swimming very fast in to the glass when startled. I would leave the lights off and avoid abrupt movements near the qt.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On occasion, yes. She's trying to burrow but cannot and feels safe along the bottom. It's common for them to not pay attention where they're going when newly added to a tank which is one reason they often have mouth injuries from swimming very fast in to the glass when startled. I would leave the lights off and avoid abrupt movements near the qt.
It's in my living room....would it be better if I just placed sand on the bottom and just not use the sand or of it if I need to use copper?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think I should keep the lights off?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think I should keep the lights off?
For the sand, just leave it be they're very sensitive to stress if you mess around at all, stick hands in, add sand, subtract sand, move things, cloud up water, etc all it will do is reduce your chances she makes it.

I know you're concerned and want the fish to do well, honestly she's doing pretty well I would be thrilled. Leave the light off for a few days even. Feed only very very small amounts (she will be able to see with minimal sunlight making it in).

The first 2-4 days are critical. Keep area calm and quiet as much as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sand, just leave it be they're very sensitive to stress if you mess around at all, stick hands in, add sand, subtract sand, move things, cloud up water, etc all it will do is reduce your chances she makes it.

I know you're concerned and want the fish to do well, honestly she's doing pretty well I would be thrilled. Leave the light off for a few days even. Feed only very very small amounts (she will be able to see with minimal sunlight making it in).

The first 2-4 days are critical. Keep areas down as much as possible.
Keep area down?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very light brown dusting in my tank. I can blow it away with a turkey baster. Should I continue using it for that?
Id pull the question it into an algae or vibrant thread, but yes prob. The difficulty and confusion many have is that its a bacteria, but, many of us here are trying to identify exactly what kind of bacteria, Its is the opinion of most, it is not a good addition to use to cycle a tank or prevent the buildup of ammoina.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I just fed the baby brine shrimp. I'm vinegar soaking the container to start the next batch. I fed to both tanks, clowns went crazy over it...
Any interest by wrasse?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, she's still hanging in there...I fed a little bit today...tried to watch but seems she is still stressed...still swimming in the bottom but she is still alive.
Has her breathing got any better?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back