Copper Levels in QT!

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in a moment of panic here, thought I knew what I was looking for with cupramine QT treatment but just dosed first dose and now not sure.

I am running a 90 litre QT tank. Just put 40 drops of cupramine in as it says 20 drops per 40 litres.

Used Hanna Copper HR checker and it came back at 0.30ppm.

now i read that I am aiming for 0.40 to 0.50ppm for cupramine but then just read somewhere that a reading of 0.38 would kill fish quick!

can anyone help and advise if I have an issue on hands and if I should quickly lower levels?

Thanks
PS

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the effiective concentration of cupramine is .25ppm , but I could be wrong. I know its .5mg/l for a final concentration.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 is the therapeutic dose for cupramine, perhaps a bit lower but should aim for 0.5. If it dropped for a shorter period of time it may not be an issue but observe your fish.

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 is the therapeutic dose for cupramine, perhaps a bit lower but should aim for 0.5. If it dropped for a shorter period of time it may not be an issue but observe your fish.
Thanks for the info mate. I thought that before dosing and then panicked due to it being the first time I have used copper in a QT I will aim to raise it to 0.5ppm in a couple of days time. Bottle says keep it like that for 14 days, would you recommend any longer than that as I see some run for 28 days with copper?

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise slowly to close to 0.5. If you are going to transfer fish to a clean tank, you can do that after 14 days (I normally do 3 weeks). If you want to keep your fish at the same tank, you can remove copper after 30 days ( I normally do it 6 weeks ).

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise slowly to close to 0.5. If you are going to transfer fish to a clean tank, you can do that after 14 days (I normally do 3 weeks). If you want to keep your fish at the same tank, you can remove copper after 30 days ( I normally do it 6 weeks ).
Thanks for the advice. I take it the additional time if keeping in the same tank is incase any Ich virus etc that has detached and isn’t dead yet reattaches after copper levels drop?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back