Deep Blue out of business, any alternatives that might be little better than Aqueon and Marineland

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank business must be booming because I solicited bids from 4 companies and only one has responded with numbers. If they will not respond to take my money, what will they be like if someone happens?

The tank business is exploding, and most good builders are backlogged for YEARS. You know how the good dentists, doctors, and lawyers stop taking new clients? That's where tank builds are. Most of them have a multiple year wait list at this point.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with CD in California. Very good customer service. I got my 100 Gallon with stand from them last April
Check Instagram @wizreef

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concept Aquariums in Calgary is a custom builder who quoted almost half the cost of Miracles for my new build( and Miracles was half the price of Reef Savvy). Lots of options out there that are a little more budget friendly.

FWIW I ended up going with Miracles, no tank yet but I'm certain I'll be happy with it.
Concept will build to the price / quality you want. That said, Dave is a bit cheaper apples to apples than other Canadian builders.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the part that kills me for custom is the shipping. I looked into Custom Aquariums for a 36x20x18 tank. it was like $450 for the tank for everything I wanted with ultra clear glass and all. Shipping was around $450. So that was a nope. I even contacted them because a store that sells their products is about 2hrs from me and if it would have dropped shipping alot to send it to a store they already ship to on a regular basis maybe I would have. Nope sale $450 shipping so for me that kills the custom build for me unless I find someone local i can pickup from

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concept will build to the price / quality you want. That said, Dave is a bit cheaper apples to apples than other Canadian builders.

I agree, you do need to be very specific with the quality and features you would like. I definately have nothing bad to say about concept and I feel that my particular quote was far cheaper because they were just trying to fill a gap in there production schedule. If im being honest my first quote was still 3/4 of Miracles

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank business is exploding, and most good builders are backlogged for YEARS. You know how the good dentists, doctors, and lawyers stop taking new clients? That's where tank builds are. Most of them have a multiple year wait list at this point.

Surely you jest. Months maybe, not years. Buddy of mine just got a custom quote - 4 month lead time.

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak highly enouch of custom aquariums.com... built my 350 with starphire glass shipping included. No other manufacturers came close, and I mean like, $4,000 cheaper. Aluminum frame, seemed very overbuilt upon arrival. Silicon sealing was very well applied. If I ever went larger, I’d go with them again without hesitation. It’s an 8ft x 3ft x 2ft Tank

40A250B5-B0BA-4A40-9A47-EA656A79FCB6.jpeg

5E14AEEA-8449-4EF7-8093-14CB76ADF3D7.jpeg

639CDC98-2911-4318-BF9C-862869D54EEF.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with CDA out of California. I worked with Trenton. I got 2 tanks a 60"x 24"x21" rimless with a wooden stand. He even color matched to my furniture at no extra cost. Plus a 70"x36"x24" eurobraced tank with a powder coated metal stand. I'm in AZ. Since I am somewhat close to them they only charged me $175 for shipping for tanks and stands. He built me full tank height external overflow boxes. He also made sure stands were built to support the weight of the overflows. Awesome company to work with. Outstanding quality.

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquamaxx has some nice tanks but you’d have to drill them and install an overflow. Not sure how big you’re trying to go though as the largest one they have is 65gal. The IM Ext tanks are really nice as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Noticed at my LFS- all the Deep Blues were on clearance. Thought maybe they were replacing with something else. Wow

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Anyone know why they went out of business? I loved their deep shallow tanks. I will be holding a prayer vigil out side of my house tonight for anyone who wants to attend. You can find me by the blue lit living room windows from at least a mile away.

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep Blue was a private label for royal pet who was bought out by Phillip's pet food a few years ago. Phillips dropped the Deep Blue line.

The same company that made Deep Blue makes Seapora they are similarly prices and offer the same tanks including the rimless and frag tank options.

I am also a big fan of customaquariums.com for larger or odd sizes.

Last edited:

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame to see the deep blue line go... Since we're on the topic of custom built tanks and shipping, I recently had a retailer inform me of Uship, if you have a builder that is willing to work with Uship, I'd imagine you could save some bucks on shipping...

https://www.uship.com/

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank business must be booming because I solicited bids from 4 companies and only one has responded with numbers. If they will not respond to take my money, what will they be like if someone happens?

So I am following along to see of I am missing anyone. If you want to talk to someone for something custom and will reply usually within 24hours to questions talk to Zoya at Crystal Dynamics Aquarium so far been great.

Tankmeusa is 15days to just quote FYI but at least the let you know off the bat which is nice.

I am waiting on a quote from Crystal Reef Aquatics, and Coast to Coast (to be fair. I did just contact C2C on Friday).

Good Luck
I would never, ever, EVER do business with coast to coast again. Crappy workmanship on the bracing including chipped glass that they blamed UPS freight for; several demonstrably bullsh$t lines of crap they gave me; and pat pawlowski (owner?) telling me he would make it his “life’s mission to go after anyone that badmouths the company on the boards.” Bracing was so bad I had to cut it off and rebrace whole top myself. I ended up spending at least 2k in glass and supplies and over 2.5 years getting something that looked decent enough to want it as my display.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back