Designing a manifold

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I was thinking about using as many unions as possible. This may be a dumb question, but how does the union attach to the pipe itself? Just twist on? Are there any disadvantages to using hate valves everywhere is used a ball valves other than higher costs?

The union is just like any other slip fitting... it will slip and glue on. Unless you get threaded unions... but it's not very common that you would need a threaded union. Gate valves are for controlling the amount of flow. Ball valves are for completely shutting off the flow... quickly. So only use gate valves where you want to limit the amount of flow.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union is just like any other slip fitting... it will slip and glue on. Unless you get threaded unions... but it's not very common that you would need a threaded union. Gate valves are for controlling the amount of flow. Ball valves are for completely shutting off the flow... quickly. So only use gate valves where you want to limit the amount of flow.
Do you suggest I downsize when using t's and whatnot? Im asking because of the connections off the manifold probably don't need as strong of a flow going into them.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 1" PVC coming out of the return pump. My manifold however steps down to 3/4". So I have 3/4" gate valves for each manifold outlet. I actually run a 1/2 hp chiller off of one of the outlets without issue.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 1" PVC coming out of the return pump. My manifold however steps down to 3/4". So I have 3/4" gate valves for each manifold outlet. I actually run a 1/2 hp chiller off of one of the outlets without issue.
Whats the difference between these two unions? Sorry I keep asking such silly questions.. http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/897-010-1-schedule-80-pvc-union.html , http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-sch-80-pvc-union-slip-x-fipt-899-010.html ? One is able to slid off both sides?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does your manifold downgrade from 1 > 3/4' Like I am thinking that the manifold wont need to have as much flow like you said. Or does your tee's themselves go down to 3/4 as well? and then from there? Sorry again I am so confusing...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

This is under my 60 cube. Manifold for reactors and water changes.

Sorry if I missed this but where did you get those PVC to the wall clips?

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between these two unions? Sorry I keep asking such silly questions.. http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/897-010-1-schedule-80-pvc-union.html , http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-sch-80-pvc-union-slip-x-fipt-899-010.html ? One is able to slid off both sides?

One is a slip/slip union...meaning both connections ends are slip (cemented). The other one is a slip/thread...meaning you would use a threaded connection on one end and a slip (cement) on the other.

So does your manifold downgrade from 1 > 3/4' Like I am thinking that the manifold wont need to have as much flow like you said. Or does your tee's themselves go down to 3/4 as well? and then from there? Sorry again I am so confusing...

I used a reduction T off my return line. So it went from 1" on the pass-through and the T reduces down to 3/4". Like this one.

Hopefully all this makes sense. And we will keep answering questions until you get it...not silly at all.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is a slip/slip union...meaning both connections ends are slip (cemented). The other one is a slip/thread...meaning you would use a threaded connection on one end and a slip (cement) on the other.

I used a reduction T off my return line. So it went from 1" on the pass-through and the T reduces down to 3/4". Like this one.

Hopefully all this makes sense. And we will keep answering questions until you get it...not silly at all.
I appreciate the help. I will ask if I have anymore questions. I love Reef2Reef

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating on how to run my manifold off my return pipe. Maybe someone with more plumbing knowledge can give their opinion. The return pipe will be going straight up with two 90's going up and over the rim of the tank. I thought of adding a wye fitting and placing the manifold on the horizontal outlet of the wye. I see many people just have it "inline" and their whole return pipe basically turns horizontal. Is it beneficial or detrimental doing it one way or the other? I am looking to reduce the amount of gph lost as a result of turns, etc.

Neither of these are my pictures but demonstrate the two ways of running the manifold:

This is what I mean by "inline"

EAD72C70-D1B8-4241-AD00-9E2D69C0040E_zpsvkyf6rcs.jpg

This is what I mean by using a wye, even tho in this they used a T

02DA5A43-8CB7-4CCE-AC6C-9928086988F9_zpsquxbs3xu.png

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also interested in the wye fitting. I have one that I plan to use to build a new manifold, my objective is to go up from the pump to the return pipe with the wye inline here and a manifold off the wye.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield , what are these three fittings ? The gray ones... are they some sort of connection to a valve? Also, where did you find your colored pvc/colored connectors?

IMG_0742.PNG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally ordering my plumbing and connections today, overflow came in yesterday ;) I still can't really seem to figure out what sized pvc to pick up however. My pump will be the varios 8 which has a 1 1/4 output. I'm thinking about matching that from the pump and probabaly through out the whole plumbing. Is this too much? Should I just do the manifold like you suggested as a 3/4 pipe? I'm thinking about just doing one return line to the tank and probabaly using locline or something to make it flexible.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these three fittings ? The gray ones... are they some sort of connection to a valve? Also, where did you find your colored pvc/colored connectors?

They look like reducing adapters. Exactly which one I can't tell.

The colored pipe is Formufit. I used the same stuff on my new build, its very nice.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like reducing adapters. Exactly which one I can't tell.

The colored pipe is Formufit. I used the same stuff on my new build, its very nice.
How ironic, I just asked @dbl if they were reef safe this morning :p thanks for this

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back