DIY Fish Tank Via Epoxy?

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made their own fish tank panels using 2 part epoxy? I want to make a very specific size/shape tank for a certain spot so It has to be custom. I don't want to pay thousands for a custom acrylic tank so I was wondering If I can just make my own panels using 2 part epoxy & molds. Has anyone done this before?

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet would be to buy some sheets of acrylic and bend it to whatever shape you want. That being said I'm interested in this, Following
I've never worked with acrylic and I find it to be to expensive. With just $100-200 in 2 part epoxy resin I can build a massive tank 2-3" thickness. The only concern I have with Epoxy is A. if it's reef safe or if toxins seep of it and B. Will it yellow from reef light because some epoxy resins yellow outdoors.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds really cool, my wife is big into epoxy resin crafts. If you decide to do this we'll be excited to see your progress. She did mention that it might yellow if the lights are bright. As for it leeching out toxins I believe certain resins are reef safe and others aren't. You'll want to talk with the 3d printer crowd on here for more info on which are safe.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds really cool, my wife is big into epoxy resin crafts. If you decide to do this we'll be excited to see your progress. She did mention that it might yellow if the lights are bright. As for it leeching out toxins I believe certain resins are reef safe and others aren't. You'll want to talk with the 3d printer crowd on here for more info on which are safe.
Yeah but I was reading that you also get the same yellow colorization with Acrylic after a while so it should't be too different. The cooler part about epoxy resin would be that "wet look" you don't get with acrylic. If I do this I'll probably test it with a small 10/20G first before going into a 60+ gallon.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
& on the other hand if you cast a tank using resin you can make the cast to have NO SEAMS

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the yellowing acrylic goes I've kept acrylic tanks for many years and never had any yellowing (and those are both used tanks so who knows how old they are). I get the feeling that's just something glass tank people say to talk down about acrylic lol.
No seams? Wow I assumed you'd be making individual panels and then building the tank, that'd be interesting. How would you make the molds?

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the yellowing acrylic goes I've kept acrylic tanks for many years and never had any yellowing (and those are both used tanks so who knows how old they are). I get the feeling that's just something glass tank people say to talk down about acrylic lol.
No seams? Wow I assumed you'd be making individual panels and then building the tank, that'd be interesting. How would you make the molds?
lol i hear you on the yellowing... I would pour the bottom layer, let it cure and then build another square mold inside that mold leaving 1/2" from the edge and pour the outer panels. This way the outer panels would adhere to the bottom layer and you get a nice resin box.

In laymen terms, a smaller box inside of a box

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dangerous idea if it works. Now I'm thinking "Well If I can just cast my own tank then why don't I cast my own fish tank desk for my office" or "let me remove my recessed shelves and cast a recessed fish tank."

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i hear you on the yellowing... I would pour the bottom layer, let it cure and then build another square mold inside that mold leaving 1/2" from the edge and pour the outer panels. This way the outer panels would adhere to the bottom layer and you get a nice resin box.

In laymen terms, a smaller box inside of a box
Err....why?
Seems easy enough to suspend a box (w/bottom) inside a box and cast as one piece.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Err....why?
Seems easy enough to suspend a box (w/bottom) inside a box and cast as one piece.
Funny you mentioned that. I was up till 2am thinking of ways to do it and that was my final solution. The only concern I have with that method is not being able to see or eliminate any possible bubbles.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mentioned that. I was up till 2am thinking of ways to do it and that was my final solution. The only concern I have with that method is not being able to see or eliminate any possible bubbles.
Por some of the bottom, set the box pour the rest. That way you can see the bottom at least before it sets.
Not an epoxy guy but gut tells me you woun't get a good bond after the bottom hardens.

Maybe there is a sweet spot where semi hard and then pour sides but ???

Glass can have small bubbles as well.. though it would annoy many..
Just stir slowly..:)

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Por some of the bottom, set the box pour the rest. That way you can see the bottom at least before it sets.
Not an epoxy guy but gut tells me you woun't get a good bond after the bottom hardens.

Maybe there is a sweet spot where semi hard and then pour sides but ???

Glass can have small bubbles as well.. though it would annoy many..
Just stir slowly..:)
All is possible if done right and patiently lol. I'll be taking on this project in the next few months. I need to figure out how many gallons I'll need and how thick the tank has to be.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if you pour it so your tank is in the upside down position, so the tank bottom is at the top during pouring. Then you will have a visual on it to check for bubbles.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you pour it so your tank is in the upside down position, so the tank bottom is at the top during pouring. Then you will have a visual on it to check for bubbles.
Ohh like that idea.
Besides large structurally damaging bubbles does it "really" matter in the bottom?

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i guess the only question now is how thick should the pour be for the sides. I'm estimating 60-70 gallons. Considering it's going to be cast in one peace with no seams does the science change?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you could just copy the thickness of an acrylic tank that size, I'd think 3/8" would be fine (but thicker is definitely better)

Be sure to update this thread when you get started, I'm excited to see your progress!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the tank footprint?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back