DIY Fish Tank Via Epoxy?

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to build my fishing rods and the key to getting no air bubbles is mixing it slowly and applying some sort of heat to it. I usually use a lighter or a heat gun. I don’t know how you would do that on this scale though. I would suggest making like a 5 gallon test tank to test it and see how many bubbles are in the finished product. If you casted each wall separately you could probably just run a heat gun across it and pour it slowly.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely going to be the Liquid Glass. Its the only resin that allows a 2" pour. Waiting on strength specs from manufacturer.

I'll test it on a small tank before attenpting a large build. Worse case scenario ill have to just make each panel seperately and then bond them.
OK interesting we use something called West epoxy and I know without silica powder it's strong but brittle can't wait to see how your tank comes out

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
A 48x24x0.75” panel will require almost 4 gallons of epoxy. At my wholesale cost that’s still about $200. A 48x24x0.75” acrylic panel would cost about $150

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to build my fishing rods and the key to getting no air bubbles is mixing it slowly and applying some sort of heat to it. I usually use a lighter or a heat gun. I don’t know how you would do that on this scale though. I would suggest making like a 5 gallon test tank to test it and see how many bubbles are in the finished product. If you casted each wall separately you could probably just run a heat gun across it and pour it slowly.
I normally use a torch. Get's the bubbles out more efficiently than with a heat gun. I've used both before. Depends on the application. Will deff do a smaller tank first.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK interesting we use something called West epoxy and I know without silica powder it's strong but brittle can't wait to see how your tank comes out
Yeah silica is good for bonding. West epoxy is different from what I plan to use. I plan to use an epoxy that is made for casting. Same process but slightly different chemicals. The casting epoxy has a 4-8 hour gel time and a 72 hour dry time.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 48x24x0.75” panel will require almost 4 gallons of epoxy. At my wholesale cost that’s still about $200. A 48x24x0.75” acrylic panel would cost about $150
Last I checked for the panels I might need the prices comes out way cheaper if I go the epoxy route. Not sure where you're getting your acrylic panel prices either. Show me an acrylic panel of 48x24x0.75 for $150 and I'll go that route instead

If i need a panel 40"x18"x.5" thickness it comes out to 360 cubic inches. 360 cubic inches to gallons is 1.5G. Casting resin is roughly $96 a gallon retail (I can get wholesale prices). Last I checked the same acrylic panel is upwards of $200. Not to mention the point is to cast ONE PIECE and have a seamless tank

Last edited:

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah silica is good for bonding. West epoxy is different from what I plan to use. I plan to use an epoxy that is made for casting. Same process but slightly different chemicals. The casting epoxy has a 4-8 hour gel time and a 72 hour dry time.
That's the stuff I imagined you'd use... I've had a play with glass cast 50, it's a pretty good product.

Since reading your post, it's been puzzling me as to how to pour the tank as a single cast rather than panels

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USplatics is $220 on a 48x24x.75 sheet, and they're usually twice as expensive as a local acrylic wholesaler. So I'd say you're probably not looking hard enough. Why post "is this a good idea?" If you've already decided it is? And won't take criticism on why it's not? I've done a bunch of epoxy desks/table tops and getting a bubble free surface is tedious, requires <0.25" pours, and a lot of babysitting to make it glass perfect. I've also built a lot of acrylic tanks and would choose solvent welding a tank every single time over an epoxy resin pour. Best of luck though. This sounds like a lot of work for something that's not going to turn out 99% perfect.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the stuff I imagined you'd use... I've had a play with glass cast 50, it's a pretty good product.

Since reading your post, it's been puzzling me as to how to pour the tank as a single cast rather than panels
The sides would have to either be done 2" at a time or you pour one panel, let it dry, add a notch across the edge and pour the next panel into that one. Let the next panel liquid fill in that notch.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USplatics is $220 on a 48x24x.75 sheet, and they're usually twice as expensive as a local acrylic wholesaler. So I'd say you're probably not looking hard enough. Why post "is this a good idea?" If you've already decided it is? And won't take criticism on why it's not? I've done a bunch of epoxy desks/table tops and getting a bubble free surface is tedious, requires <0.25" pours, and a lot of babysitting to make it glass perfect. I've also built a lot of acrylic tanks and would choose solvent welding a tank every single time over an epoxy resin pour. Best of luck though. This sounds like a lot of work for something that's not going to turn out 99% perfect.

I'm taking criticism and adding healthy debate mate. Also you're table top pouring is different from cast pouring. That table top epoxy you use is not the same. That's the problem with those "critiquing" you have zero idea that there is even different epoxy's but you add your 2cents on your belief.

The fact that your even bringing up or talking about table top epoxy leads be to believe you have no idea what your saying but wan't to sound smart.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also i did not ask for your criticism. I merely asked if anyone has done a resin tank before. I didn't ask if its easy, hard, or what the process is. Where did I ask if "Is this a good idea" You completely made that up on your own.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Maybe reading the title of your post? Best of luck. Sounds like you have this all figured out. Again, why even post, just do it and bask in the glory when it's done.
Wow i didn't know
DIY Fish Tank Via Epoxy? =

DIY Fish Tank Via Epoxy: Is This A Good Idea?

Last edited:

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting idea I'm curious to see how it turns out. I built my tank in an odd corner of my house as well. I used acrylic, it's 155gal true volume is L shaped around the corner of the room and drops off from 10" to 21".

I've used west systems epoxy for reef projects but not the glass casting resin you mentioned. One of the things I noticed when looking at these materials for my own use is that most epoxies state that they are functionality waterproof or water resistant when cured but fail to list a waterproof denotation. I'm curious about the true long term viability in using this material for auctually holding liquid. I guess it seems feasible but wonder why it's not widely done.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting idea I'm curious to see how it turns out. I built my tank in an odd corner of my house as well. I used acrylic, it's 155gal true volume is L shaped around the corner of the room and drops off from 10" to 21".

I've used west systems epoxy for reef projects but not the glass casting resin you mentioned. One of the things I noticed when looking at these materials for my own use is that most epoxies state that they are functionality waterproof or water resistant when cured but fail to list a waterproof denotation. I'm curious about the true long term viability in using this material for auctually holding liquid. I guess it seems feasible but wonder why it's not widely done.

Wow that must be a nice looking tank!

Your thinking is correct which is why this project may not happen. I've asked the company for the science behind holding water & also how strong their epoxy is at .5" thick in terms of compression, flexibility and tensile strength. Depending on their answer I'll see how to proceed.

If they don't know I'll have to build a 10G tank and run it for a year before taking on a large tank project. Again, if people are making huge tanks from plywood I don't see why epoxy wouldn't hold up 100x better.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your OP: "Can I just make my own panels using 2 part epoxy & molds?"

No, it's a bad idea. Best of luck.
Why is it a bad idea?

Epoxy is stronger than acrylic and also using epoxy to bond the two pieces together is stronger than solvent welding.

I'm honestly curious as to why you think it's a bad idea scientifically.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that must be a nice looking tank!

Your thinking is correct which is why this project may not happen. I've asked the company for the science behind holding water & also how strong their epoxy is at .5" thick in terms of compression, flexibility and tensile strength. Depending on their answer I'll see how to proceed.

If they don't know I'll have to build a 10G tank and run it for a year before taking on a large tank project. Again, if people are making huge tanks from plywood I don't see why epoxy wouldn't hold up 100x better.
Here's my dt, if you decide to go acrylic I can absolutely help you walk through the process it's not too hard if you have the right tools and attention to details. Just like with the epoxy I'd recommend trying a small trial build maybe build yourself a custom sump first so the test tank has a use.

IMG_20200815_122029.jpg IMG_20200815_122043.jpg IMG_20200815_122055.jpg

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my dt, if you decide to go acrylic I can absolutely help you walk through the process it's not too hard if you have the right tools and attention to details. Just like with the epoxy I'd recommend trying a small trial build maybe build yourself a custom sump first so the test tank has a use.

IMG_20200815_122029.jpg IMG_20200815_122043.jpg IMG_20200815_122055.jpg
:) I had a feeling you'd find this thread...

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back