OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually in the progress of building a cabinet for the location. I plan on starting this project in 1-2 months. I'll post here and also start a new build thread when I get it going.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have fun buffing that out so its clear and not wavy... ANY imperfection is a possible failure point (pouring/curing/drying or buff), just like in a glass or acrylic tank. i wouldnt spend my time or $ trying.. i like my floors dry as possible.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have fun buffing that out so its clear and not wavy... ANY imperfection is a possible failure point (pouring/curing/drying or buff), just like in a glass or acrylic tank. i wouldnt spend my time or $ trying.. i like my floors dry as possible.
I've been working with epoxy for a few years and not once did I have to buff anything nor get any waves. Way to be a negative nancy

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working with epoxy for a few years and not once did I have to buff anything nor get any waves. Way to be a negative nancy

just a realist.... you asked for our thoughts on the issue, i gave my $0.02. Do what u will with it... i'll find $0.98 more and get a popcorn to watch this not happen.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very skeptical about epoxy holding water loads. Epoxy by itself is not that strong.. at all. Epoxy and fiberglass or carbon fiber, yeah, but not pure epoxy resin.

It will certainly yellow without UV inhibitors mixed in. Lastly..epoxy is NOT cheap..at all.

Those are my thoughts anyways.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a realist.... you asked for our thoughts on the issue, i gave my $0.02. Do what u will with it... i'll find $0.98 more and get a popcorn to watch this not happen.
giphy.gif
Realist? LOL more like troll,. Epoxy Cast resin has higher compression, tensil & flexural strength than concrete, you just wanted to try and sound smart with a passive aggressive tone.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't listen to these guys, I've chatted with @pdxmonkeyboy before, he's one of those Portland crazies ;)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do keep us posted. I like the idea of a small nano or pico 1st before you spend the time and $$$. but I am intrigued.

I also was gonna suggest a plywood tank. what shape are you trying to make?

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do keep us posted. I like the idea of a small nano or pico 1st before you spend the time and $$$. but I am intrigued.

I also was gonna suggest a plywood tank. what shape are you trying to make?
It's a weird corner in my house thats half round half angled lol

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would respond to that but i am currently trying to burn down the federal courthouse downtown.

But yeah, a solid epoxy tank is strong, economical, and practical. That is why you see soo many of them around.
A solid epoxy tank would be stronger than any glass or acrylic tank cut and seamed using silicon lol. Casting resin is also affordable idk what you are thinking of. You don't see them around because the labor cost would be to high. If you can DIY it you're golden.

People make plywood tanks ***. You can break plywood by stepping on it and bending it lol. The same can't be said for 1/2" thick resin.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be Interest in the result of this as I build wooden boats for a living and work with epoxy everyday and on its own without a binding silica powder is quiete brittle and also large amounts of epoxy exotherm get seriously hot I'd be Interested to see what resin is used and how strong it is so following

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mentioned that. I was up till 2am thinking of ways to do it and that was my final solution. The only concern I have with that method is not being able to see or eliminate any possible bubbles.
Yes the bubbles are the issue. I think you can pour about an inch per 24hrs (depending on brand) to allow the bubbles out and still have a seamless finish as it wont be fully cured. This will only affect the tank walls, as the base you can do in a single pour.

Imagine this happening like slip form in high rise concrete core construction.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be Interest in the result of this as I build wooden boats for a living and work with epoxy everyday and on its own without a binding silica powder is quiete brittle and also large amounts of epoxy exotherm get seriously hot I'd be Interested to see what resin is used and how strong it is so following
Its most likely going to be the Liquid Glass. Its the only resin that allows a 2" pour. Waiting on strength specs from manufacturer.

I'll test it on a small tank before attenpting a large build. Worse case scenario ill have to just make each panel seperately and then bond them.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bubbles are the issue. I think you can pour about an inch per 24hrs (depending on brand) to allow the bubbles out and still have a seamless finish as it wont be fully cured. This will only affect the tank walls, as the base you can do in a single pour.

Imagine this happening like slip form in high rise concrete core construction.
most likely going to be the Liquid Glass. Its the only resin that allows a 2" pour. Waiting on strength specs from manufacturer.

I'll test it on a small tank before attenpting a large build. Worse case scenario ill have to just make each panel seperately and then bond them

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely going to be the Liquid Glass. Its the only resin that allows a 2" pour. Waiting on strength specs from manufacturer.

I'll test it on a small tank before attenpting a large build. Worse case scenario ill have to just make each panel seperately and then bond them.
If i go the panel route I can also add a 1/4" notch along the each edge and inset it into the next panel pour. This way it doesn't only get a flat surface bond.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back