Votes: 19 9.4%

• Total voters

Iversonforever3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For over a year clownfish has nada along with all my CUC , then I get a blue tang and showed signs of ich 1 day and then the next nada.... so imma say survival of the fittest , if they can beat it I can beat Corona virus lol, so lets roll the dice

But in all seriousness , I have a QT tank which I have not had to use .. thank god cuz I would have to stock it with copper/revive fluids and then do fallow which like some of you said I envy anyone who would never have to ever do anything ever and all fish live happy ever after

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I have never seen it. I don't do anything to prevent it. I dont even think about it except when these threads pop up.
Having a plan would imply I am thinking about disease and I don't.
I started keeping fish in 1985 and haven't seen ich since 1988. I have never seen it in my marine tanks.
I could have done a lot of needless stuff in that time. I instead put the time and resources into husbandry.
So far so good.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do hate to see is the daily thread over in the disease forum of fish dying from a velvet outbreak etc. It is a real bummer..

I hate that almost as much as I hate seeing fish dying in quarantine or getting sick in quarantine or dying from over medication which is really a waste.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of well placed marine adapted mollies will open some eyes and reduce a few egos real quick...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were smarter I could perhaps distill down the 1000s of hours I have spent reading books, trying things and looking a web pages back in the days when the internet had real information on it instead of just ads and tell you how to run a tank.
That isn't going to happen now. I have deteriorated in some very fundamental ways. Still working on that.

Keeping a tank isn't hard. It isn't easy either. You have to do the right thing at the right time.
It is more like balancing a broom standing on your palm. Tiny adjustments in the correct way keep it there.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that almost as much as I hate seeing fish dying in quarantine or getting sick in quarantine or dying from over medication which is really a waste.
Yeah, it’s a shame either way. Some people are just darned if they do and darned if they don’t.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. Never had it and just droped the fish in DT. Had no worries though as I almost always buy fish from sources where fish were caught few days ago .
Have a small scare now as I got a Purple Tang from a guy that had no clue about salt waterfish., He got the fish from another guy. I went there to help him setup the system and got the fish. He has some whitish spots and 2 brown spots infront of nose . Keeping my finger crossed as I poped him in to the DT.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried essential oils for parasite treatment? ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder how many people setup a tank, fill with freshly mixed saltwater, drop some fish in, the fish die from bad parameters or disease. And we never hear a word from them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this contributes to a strain on the fish's immune system.

I don't feel it is a strain of the immune system at all. Thats why a fish, and us have an immune system and that system will fail to work at all if it doesn't contact parasites.

Parasites are needed almost constantly for it to work properly. That is the reason fish quarantined for long periods, then put in a parasite free tank can easily get sick and die. They have no immunity so quarantine definitely works as long as you never get a parasite in there.

The tanks that I and many others manage with living parasites are always immune due to the presence of parasites, just as in the sea.

When my good friend 4FordFamily gives me that tang, I hope it is infected with a few strains of parasites so my fishes immune systems can get stronger. :p

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to really help. I mean I don't know, at all, and there isn't a single study that supports it, but it makes me feel better (;
This seems legit!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel it is a strain of the immune system at all. Thats why a fish, and us have an immune system and that system will fail to work at all if it doesn't contact parasites.

Parasites are needed almost constantly for it to work properly. That is the reason fish quarantined for long periods, then put in a parasite free tank can easily get sick and die. They have no immunity so quarantine definitely works as long as you never get a parasite in there.

The tanks that I and many others manage with living parasites are always immune due to the presence of parasites, just as in the sea.

When my good friend 4FordFamily gives me that tang, I hope it is infected with a few strains of parasites so my fishes immune systems can get stronger. :p
Still waiting for the OK to send you that Achilles! :D

100% serious though, I will. Another thought, just because I keep a few organisms out of my tank doesn’t mean their immune systems don’t have any work to do— there are plenty of other “nasties” in the tank, I am sure.

I hope you’ve been well, buddy

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for the OK to send you that Achilles! :D

100% serious though, I will. Another thought, just because I keep a few organisms out of my tank doesn’t mean their immune systems don’t have any work to do— there are plenty of other “nasties” in the tank, I am sure.

I hope you’ve been well, buddy
He gave the okay earlier in the thread! You just gotta go catch it when it gets too big, lol :D Send it!!!! I wanna see what happens!;Nailbiting

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"fish, and us have an immune system and that system will fail to work at all if it doesn't contact parasites."

I don't know squat about fish immunology, but that's simply not true for humans. If it was, vaccines wouldn't work and people would be walking around with low grade fevers as a normal state, as their immune systems are constantly primed

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He gave the okay earlier in the thread! You just gotta go catch it when it gets too big, lol :D Send it!!!! I wanna see what happens!;Nailbiting
I live too far away but I’ll take it when it gets too big and even pay for shipping to me. Paul, confirm and I’ll ship it your way!

Just need weekly time stamped updates with videos/photos, want to track this! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back