• Total voters

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an ich free ocean? Ich ain't so bad

Yes, there is no Ich in the ocean. And in the ocean most parasites aren't much of an issue. In our tiny little thumbtacks of water that are our reef tanks, it doesn't work that way.

Alright, I won't be interacting on this thread anymore, adios.

reefer fro canada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I am ichless but I feed a combo of garlic and ginger to strengthen their immune system. I had everything in the beginning and now its been about a year and still nothing.I had it all ich ,black spot and white spot but after looking into home remedies for fish I thought I would give it a try.Like I said nothing for a year.Now I only give them a feed when I add a new fish.The only fish that I have lost is the deep six suicide jump.Crossing my finger but so far great. Just so you know I still have all my original fish no losses

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt fish but inverts/corals, etc. not so much.

I haven't noticed any ich in my DT, but it could be in there waiting for some situation where my fish become stressed. While I certainly cannot say this for sure, I believe it is possible that ich is in more peoples tanks than they realize, it just hasn't been a problem. Have no evidence to base that on however.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
Velvet tends to be a tad bit worse...
All im saying is there are more effective ways to QT than TTM, no need to become upset.
Not upset dude, but if you look back at my other posts, I made reference to Hybrid TTM using h2o2. I thInk that is the most effective QT protocol that currently exists at the hobby level

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since when did I ever say that?
I think they are a help but a must? No more than your or mine protein skimmer, algae scrubber or filter socks etc.
I didn’t say you said... I asked a question. I have seen you preach about them so I figured or assumed you practiced what you preached. Or fired one up when you were in the midst of an outbreak.

To your point of “how do you know you don’t have Itch”? I don’t know if my fish itch much or not, as far as ich goes... I am certain it’s not in my tanks. I treat all of my fish. They are ich free. I keep 3 acanthurus tangs (ich magnets). My tank has been running for years and I’ve never seen a single spot. I’ve been through power outages, no spots. My tank has been through Dino’s no spots. My tank is heavily stocked and definitely not stress free. Guess what???? Still no spots! Never ever had a sick fish in my main tanks.

My way certainly isn’t the only way but it works for me.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t say you said... I asked a question. I have seen you preach about them so I figured or assumed you practiced what you preached. Or fired one up when you were in the midst of an outbreak.

To your point of “how do you know you don’t have Itch”? I don’t know if my fish itch much or not, as far as ich goes... I am certain it’s not in my tanks. I treat all of my fish. They are ich free. I keep 3 acanthurus tangs (ich magnets). My tank has been running for years and I’ve never seen a single spot. I’ve been through power outages, no spots. My tank has been through Dino’s no spots. My tank is heavily stocked and definitely not stress free. Guess what???? Still no spots! Never ever had a sick fish in my main tanks.

Me too.

Lots of acanthurus tangs and angels here, and in my 180G. Cyano, too.

Oh, and I know your fish have itch, one just asked me to scratch its’ back.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not about that. Do you know how much water is in the ocean compared to our little glass cages ;)

This may explain a few things for you...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not about that. Do you know how much water is in the ocean compared to our little glass cages ;)

This may explain a few things for you...
My glass cage has 352 quintillion gallons

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK, let me answer once again then. The answer is no it's not a must as I have said above, guess you missed that reply so I have included it here just in case so am repeating myself.
So you QT and had a few tank issues without your fish catching itch fine. I dont QT and my fish don't catch itch either even though I have had tanks go through power outages and others. All this proves is you don't necessarily need to QT to have an itch problem tank. You must carry on as you do because you believe in it, well guess what...same here but not just me plenty of others don't QT but have a different approach and don't have issues with itch or anything else come to that. Now we could go round in circles and we can agree to disagree. I just prefer not to put my fish through QT as in my tank it's not necessary for me to keep issues with diseases at bay.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on the individual fish in the ocean and how many parasites it is carrying. Even without the tell tale white spots, the parasites are attacking the fish's gills unseen to our eyes. The parasites not only attach to the gill tissues, but actually burrow into the blood vessels within the gills feeding directly upon the fish's blood. The fish's immune system reacts by increasing mucous within the gills, which decreases the amount of O2 the fish can transpire. So it's kinda like the Ich creates a condition in the fish where it becomes anemic, and something similar to pneumonia in that the fish can't breathe well. All of this contributes to a strain on the fish's immune system.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on the individual fish in the ocean and how many parasites it is carrying. Even without the tell tale white spots, the parasites are attacking the fish's gills unseen to our eyes. The parasites not only attach to the gill tissues, but actually burrow into the blood vessels within the gills feeding directly upon the fish's blood. The fish's immune system reacts by increasing mucous within the gills, which decreases the amount of O2 the fish can transpire. So it's kinda like the Ich creates a condition in the fish where it becomes anemic, and something similar to pneumonia in that the fish can't breathe well. All of this contributes to a strain on the fish's immune system.
But it's ok though, since it doesn't really harm the fish

/s

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, let me answer once again then. The answer is no it's not a must as I have said above, guess you missed that reply so I have included it here just in case so am repeating myself.
So you QT and had a few tank issues without your fish catching itch fine. I dont QT and my fish don't catch itch either even though I have had tanks go through power outages and others. All this proves is you don't necessarily need to QT to have an itch problem tank. You must carry on as you do because you believe in it, well guess what...same here but not just me plenty of others don't QT but have a different approach and don't have issues with itch or anything else come to that. Now we could go round in circles and we can agree to disagree. I just prefer not to put my fish through QT as in my tank it's not necessary for me to keep issues with diseases at bay.
What kind of fish do you keep in your Red Sea Reefer 250? There are several fish that a parasite resistant.

Acanthurus tangs are some of the most parasite prone fish out there due to their thin mucus layer. @4FordFamily offered to buy Paul an Achilles tang and see if it could “live” in his system. Certain fish require a higher level of care and overall knowledge to be kept successfully.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish do you keep in your Red Sea Reefer 250? There are several fish that a parasite resistant.

Acanthurus tangs are some of the most parasite prone fish out there due to their thin mucus layer. @4FordFamily offered to buy Paul an Achilles tang and see if it could “live” in his system. Certain fish require a higher level of care and overall knowledge to be kept successfully.
I don't have a Reefer 250.
I have kept a number of tangs over the years but haven't for sometime now as they get to big are aggressive and I prefer smaller more interesting (to me) fish like grammas, gobies, small wrasse, damsels. I also have a copperband which keeps my aps down and a foxface which I will move on when it gets to big for my 5' D-D 1500s pro reef.
My friend Roy as posted earlier keeps a few tangs as reported further back and he keeps his fish same as I do with little problems. He's got a regal and powder blue.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your standards I guess I don't have ich in my tank.
I have 2 Acanthurus tangs. I also have 2 Zebrasoma and 2 Ctenochaetus and 2 large angels.
Power outages, 5 this year. 3 recent tank upgrades and a move from one house to another.

By luck, magic or skill I intend to continue what I have been doing. It doesn't involve drugs or QT. I don't have anything against it, I just don't need to do it. Less work and expense is good.

The same things I started to do 35 years ago keeping silver dollars in freshwater tanks ich free seem to work fine for me now. I got tired of looking at fish swimming in blue-green toilet water from malachite green.
The consensus of the old guys then including my father-in-law who raised plecostomus and 2 kinds of cichlids was your tanks are off if you are seeing ich.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your standards I guess I don't have ich in my tank.
I have 2 Acanthurus tangs. I also have 2 Zebrasoma and 2 Ctenochaetus and 2 large angels.
Power outages, 5 this year. 3 recent tank upgrades and a move from one house to another.

By luck, magic or skill I intend to continue what I have been doing. It doesn't involve drugs or QT. I don't have anything against it, I just don't need to do it. Less work and expense is good.

The same things I started to do 35 years ago keeping silver dollars in freshwater tanks ich free seem to work fine for me now. I got tired of looking at fish swimming in blue-green toilet water from malachite green.
The consensus of the old guys then including my father-in-law who raised plecostomus and 2 kinds of cichlids was your tanks are off if you are seeing ich.
By my standards? Lol
Well according to science and the use of copper (if used at the proper potency and length of time) you can eradicate ich. Is there more to keeping a parasite free tank than that...? Yes. Proper fallow periods for anything you add to your tank that isn’t a fish. Is it a lot of hard work? Yes. Is it for everyone? No.

FYI I have nothing against anyone who doesn’t use the QT method at all. I am willing to help anyone that has an issue anytime. Those of you who can successfully keep fish without QT that’s great. I am jealous.

What I do hate to see is the daily thread over in the disease forum of fish dying from a velvet outbreak etc. It is a real bummer... For those of you that don’t QT your livestock what do you do if you have a disease outbreak? Or it just never happens? When it does what is your plan?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back