• Total voters

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Telling me I am just lucky isn't a jab?
I have a long and detailed thread on how I make my luck. There is no luck involved.

I didn't call you a fool, or careless or irrational or irresponsible or uneducated for how you feel about quarantine. I'm sure you're good at what you do. I do agree with the other statement made that usually when someone says "I don't quarantine and everything is fine" they just haven't had something happen yet. It's a matter of time and they're usually the same people with a future thread panicking about a disease or losing everything. But in regards to posting I'm just saying nothing needs to resort to getting personal like your other post.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't call you a fool, or careless or irrational or irresponsible or uneducated for how you feel about quarantine. I'm sure you're good at what you do. I do agree with the other statement made that usually when someone says "I don't quarantine and everything is fine" they just haven't had something happen yet. It's a matter of time and they're usually the same people with a future thread panicking about a disease or losing everything. But in regards to posting I'm just saying nothing needs to resort to getting personal like your other post.
In what post did I say anything personal about anyone? You have gone from questioning my skill to my integrity.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Telling me I am just lucky isn't a jab?
I have a long and detailed thread on how I make my luck. There is no luck involved.
God forbid we relied on luck to keep our fish healthy and free of major outbreaks of itch. What I, Paul, you and many do is calculated to reduce such outbreaks. We simply have different views on how best to achieve it. I have friends here in the UK who practice similar to what I do and Paul. There maybe miner differences but essentially we are doing the same. It's well documented stress is a major factor contributing to serious itch outbreaks. If you can limit stress and add other things like correct diet and environment then you have more than a bit of luck on your side.
Since I started practicing what I do I have not had a single major outbreak of itch in around 30 years, no QT with I think what is 11 tanks. Fish and corals being transferred from one tank to another, some being sold on mainly due to house moves and more fish being bought from a variety of LFS. Luck I can assure you plays little or no part in what I, Paul and others I know who practice similar.

I asked a good friend and fellow Reefer about his new tank (about 12 months old with corals and fish transferred from his previous tank and add too) about his new rusty angel if it was picking at corals and does his tank have any issue with itch, this is his reply.
"Nah the rusty angel is fine with the corals, but hes a very territorial character. The regal gets the occasional spot but it never is a problem and doesn't get worse. In fact the powder blue had a few spots when introduced, but they disappeared within a day or two and never returned."
Now Roy practices similar to what I and others do and have been for many years. We all enjoy the same success and am not talking months or a few years, we are talking reefers who have been in the hobby more years many on here have been on the planet. Luck is simply a matter of chance, we take less chances in many ways than those QTing IMO. BTW Roy has a stunning well stocked SPS tank.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but your just one lucky so and so........ hmmmm come to think of it that's a whole bunch of us. The ones who aren't so lucky are the many who loose fish in QT or soon after and despite QT. Some even report another outbreak after QTing all their fish and even after a fallow period. Now that is unlucky, some might say foolish, I would never suggest such a thing.
In what post did I say anything personal about anyone? You have gone from questioning my skill to my integrity.

There were no names mentioned, I'll give you that, but calling people who have practices of maintaining biosecurity foolish isn't a good look. And I never said you weren't skilled, I was genuinely asking what the number you posted was, is that the amount of fish you have/have kept throughout their life span? That would be really cool and I was asking about it. Is it the amount you've brought in and kept asymptomatic through non quarantine methods? I wasn't saying you weren't a good at this hobby, I do believe a lot of non quarantine hobbyists are lucky for not having to deal with diseases but I was also just asking about what you posted for clarification and conversation. It wasn't an attack.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy tank isnt an itch free tank in fact I would venture to say the opposite. The difference isnt whether there is itch in the tank or not but if the fish are able to fight it off and keep it at bay or at least from taking hold. I don't QT as its counterproductive IMO. I float the bag to equalise temperature the release the fish ASAP. Feed the fish often and with quality food, create a natural environment for them (well as much as possible) to limit stress. Stress, poor food and environment are IME the real issues not the itch itself.
I used to do what you did, then i got velvet.....

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF your not Qting corals- what's the point of going fallow

QT is literally an 'all or nothing' deal, otherwise it's pointless.
Its just less likely to get it with just corals. Ich is not a big deal to manage, its the other stuff like velvet that i fear the most. But atleast i know i can see how a fish is doing prior to adding him to my DT.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do what you think you need to. It's what I do.
IMG_2407_heic-M.jpg

I have a rather simplistic view on this.
Our things are from the sea. The diseases are from the sea. The diseases don't kill all the fish in the sea, and they shouldn't kill my fish either if I am doing it right and providing the correct environment for them to live in.
I would have no idea what to do with a tank started with dead rock, ammonia and bacteria.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were no names mentioned, I'll give you that, but calling people who have practices of maintaining biosecurity foolish isn't a good look. And I never said you weren't skilled, I was genuinely asking what the number you posted was, is that the amount of fish you have/have kept throughout their life span? That would be really cool and I was asking about it. Is it the amount you've brought in and kept asymptomatic through non quarantine methods? I wasn't saying you weren't a good at this hobby, I do believe a lot of non quarantine hobbyists are lucky for not having to deal with diseases but I was also just asking about what you posted for clarification and conversation. It wasn't an attack.
Nobody called anybody foolish. What was said was SOME might consider it foolish to QT. I accept QT works for some but let's not pretend it's the only way as we have clearly seen. We read about fish dying in QT and or not long after. There is nothing natural about QTing and or medicating. My philosophy to keeping fish is to make things as natural as possible for them. You have a different view but I stand by the health of my animals as testimony to my ways and thinking, you stand by yours.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do what you did, then i got velvet.....
I would suggest you didn't do what I do as your tank got velvet and my tanks over 30 years have never had an outbreak of it. Some things will have been different I am sure.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody called anybody foolish. What was said was SOME might consider it foolish to QT. I accept QT works for some but let's not pretend it's the only way as we have clearly seen. We read about fish dying in QT and or not long after. There is nothing natural about QTing and or medicating. My philosophy to keeping fish is to make things as natural as possible for them. You have a different view but I stand by the health of my animals as testimony to my ways and thinking, you stand by yours.

That's fair, I accept others have differing methods. I run a strict quarantine process, but you may manage your systems how you like, I never wanted to start a fight about quarantine. It never goes well.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair, I accept others have differing methods. I run a strict quarantine process, but you may manage your systems how you like, I never wanted to start a fight about quarantine. It never goes well.
But that were we differer. I don't run my tank how I like but to do the best for my fish which I believe I am. We have choices, I have considered those available and have firmly come down on the side of not QTing based on running my tank as natural as possible. It works for me and many more but it's a package not just not QTing. QTing clearly can work, it works for you but given the choice I have taken my route and I believe the fish thank me for it.
We both have a love of our hobby and are passionate about it, we both want the best for our animals, that is not in dispute, how we achieve it...well theres the rub.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Actually I use magic. An old family spell.

The number is made up I admit. It is the number of separate additions, bags things came in since I started in 2007. Coral, rock, fish, coral, macros, clean up crew and all the other wet additions to the tank.
All the magical places you think disease comes from.
IMG_2352_heic-S.jpg

Here I am getting ready to place the spell on these bags.
I use magic too. QT magic. All my fish are fat happy and healthy. I don’t lose fish either it’s soo strange. I can’t say I have never lost a fish though. I had a wrasse go carpet surfing once. Yes my tank is covered but it somehow found it’s way out. I also had a moorish idol that decided to take a bite out of a clam and he lost that battle. Other than that I don’t lose fish. Yes my tanks are parasite free :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am foolish, Lucky and playing Russian Roulette, and I like it. It's just me. :p

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't do this and not lose a few fish. I watched a tiny chromis go through a large pump one morning,
I can't keep mandarins. Not going to try anymore.
This isn't any different from breeding dogs. They don't all make it. Most people just never see that part.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't do this and not lose a few fish. I watched a tiny chromis go through a large pump one morning,
This isn't any different from breeding dogs. They don't all make it. Most people just never see that part.
Mandarins are tough. Extremely tough to get through QT. If you have a mature tank and plenty of pod population I would think you could keep one without QT. They are extremely parasite resistant fish just finicky eaters...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only problems I have with mandarins is that they live to long and spawn to much so I get tired of them. :p ;Joyful

But goldfish. I can't keep those things no matter what I do even though I keep their salinity exactly at 0.025. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Fowler freak

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy tank isnt an itch free tank in fact I would venture to say the opposite. The difference isnt whether there is itch in the tank or not but if the fish are able to fight it off and keep it at bay or at least from taking hold. I don't QT as its counterproductive IMO. I float the bag to equalise temperature the release the fish ASAP. Feed the fish often and with quality food, create a natural environment for them (well as much as possible) to limit stress. Stress, poor food and environment are IME the real issues not the itch itself.
Agreed. There’s is another side to that coin tho. When you have a tank with many angels and tangs.......ich is an issue period. Perfect husbandry doesn’t matter it’s just a matter of time before it makes its way to a bacterial infection. It’s like a ticking time-bomb.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. There’s is another side to that coin tho. When you have a tank with many angels and tangs.......ich is an issue period. Perfect husbandry doesn’t matter it’s just a matter of time before it makes its way to a bacterial infection. It’s like a ticking time-bomb.
I have kept tangs, no problem, myfriend Roy as said in one of my posts above has a regal and powder blue againno problem with itch. Both been keeping fish our way for over 30 years and a number of tanks. We are still waiting for armageddon as are others. Any idea when we can expect these bad infections?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back