Votes: 19 9.4%

• Total voters

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just less likely to get it with just corals. Ich is not a big deal to manage, its the other stuff like velvet that i fear the most. But atleast i know i can see how a fish is doing prior to adding him to my DT.
Sure, observation is always good

I wouldn't agree that you're less likely to get it with corals, since a large proportion are Stoney- so can harbor trophonts directly on exposed skeleton- or come on plugs which may be encysted, particularly since most coral farms have fish in their systems for algae control.

Replacing the plugs and dipping will mitigate the risk, but otherwise, they are just as likely to bring the pathogen in from an infected site as an infected fish, snail or rock is

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept tangs, no problem, myfriend Roy as said in one of my posts above has a regal and powder blue againno problem with itch. Both been keeping fish our way for over 30 years and a number of tanks. We are still waiting for armageddon as are others. Any idea when we can expect these bad infections?
IT Durant matter that you've been keeping fish 30 years.

A new guy starting now has to compete against a supply chain that is literally a disgusting soup of diseases compared to what you were buying 30, 20 10 years ago.

Times have changed- it's about time attitudes change too. Just because you had 25 years head start to build up an 'immune' tank (when was the last time you set up a tank 100% from scratch- no livestock, rock or water reused?) doesn't mean that would work today

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problems I have with mandarins is that they live to long and spawn to much so I get tired of them. :p ;Joyful

But goldfish. I can't keep those things no matter what I do even though I keep their salinity exactly at 0.025. :rolleyes:
>> 0.025

That's your problem!!! They keep floating off in the wind!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are tough. Extremely tough to get through QT. If you have a mature tank and plenty of pod population I would think you could keep one without QT. They are extremely parasite resistant fish just finicky eaters...
Hybrid TtM and stock up with 3 months growth of pods?

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like one of the options should be, "I don't know." I've done my best to prevent Ich from being introduced. Fish, inverts, and corals are all QT'd, before being added to the DT. No tests have been done to see if it's there or not.

Is there a way to test for it to prove one way or another?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT Durant matter that you've been keeping fish 30 years.

A new guy starting now has to compete against a supply chain that is literally a disgusting soup of diseases compared to what you were buying 30, 20 10 years ago.

Times have changed- it's about time attitudes change too. Just because you had 25 years head start to build up an 'immune' tank (when was the last time you set up a tank 100% from scratch- no livestock, rock or water reused?) doesn't mean that would work today
You jest sir. I have had many tanks start from scratch as I have moved house and sold up on a number of occasions. There has been the odd and I mean odd occasion when I have moved stuff over.

My new tank was set up 9 months ago. I transferred stock from my smaller Reefer 250 which had been setup 6 months if that. I added more living rock, corals and fish and am still in the process of adding corals and the odd fish just like I have done many times.
You are right however it matters not whether I had been doing so 20 or 30 years the results are always the same. Hence why I always set up the way I do and maintain my tank the way I do. That way it stays healthy. Why on earth would I want to change to QT.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You jest sir. I have had many tanks start from scratch as I have moved house and sold up on a number of occasions. There has been the odd and I mean odd occasion when I have moved stuff over.

My new tank was set up 9 months ago. I transferred stock from my smaller Reefer 250 which had been setup 6 months if that. I added more living rock, corals and fish and am still in the process of adding corals and the odd fish just like I have done many times.
You are right however it matters not whether I had been doing so 20 or 30 years the results are always the same. Hence why I always set up the way I do and maintain my tank the way I do. That way it stays healthy. Why on earth would I want to change to QT.
Yeah but isn’t running an oxydator a “must” in your tanks?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but isn’t running an oxydator a “must” in your tanks?
Since when did I ever say that?
I think they are a help but a must? No more than your or mine protein skimmer, algae scrubber or filter socks etc.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just lost your bet. The penalty of which is you have to give me all your diseased fish.
Lol, I don't very have any diseased fish. I QTd everything in my tank, so I know it's disease free.

you get the one of my fish, you know what you are getting. A fish. I get one of yours, I have no idea what's On it..

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long was your reeder 250 up, and what did you transfer *that* livestock from?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I don't very have any diseased fish. I QTd everything in my tank, so I know it's disease free.

you get the one of my fish, you know what you are getting. A fish. I get one of yours, I have no idea what's On it..
I would have no clue as to what I was getting off you and would be concerned I can assure you. However, that's OK as in my tank it would be brought up to my tank standards health.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the question which is do you have an itch free tank. I think you can only answer no or not sur how can you be certain it's not there waiting to break out. I expect I have itch in my tank even though I don't see any signs of it and the reason I don't is my fish are healthy. If my fish weren't so healthy then it might well be a different matter.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to restate the point that all of us have "Ich free tanks" because the saltwater Parasite is called Cryptocaryon irritans not Ichthyopthirius multifiliis, which is a freshwater parasite. So there, question answered, we can all be nice now :)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an ich free ocean? Ich ain't so bad

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back