Ecotech joins BRS as a sister company..

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is BRS is not the only place to buy stuff for reefing, and not the "one ring".
True.
I think he means that Bulk Reef Supply has or might get the ability to stop others from selling and become the only place you can get anything they control. If they bought out a couple other companies, they could pretty much control the entire hobby.
Like Ecotech owns AI, but Bulk Reef Supply owns Ecotech. That means Bulk Reef Supply has the ability to decide to be the only place to get the AI brand. Customer service would be the same way.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True.
I think he means that Bulk Reef Supply has or might get the ability to stop others from selling and become the only place you can get anything they control. If they bought out a couple other companies, they could pretty much control the entire hobby.
Like Ecotech owns AI, but Bulk Reef Supply owns Ecotech. That means Bulk Reef Supply has the ability to decide to be the only place to get the AI brand. Customer service would be the same way.
BRS cannot "pretty much control the entire hobby." This is completely irrational.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it isn’t realistic, but it would be in their power. They would be able to set prices and control the supply.
I think the real issue is that they can manipulate the supply chain with their monetary resources. Other online vendors seem to be low on some products (e.g. IM tanks) that BRS has in stock. They can buy up supply essentially forcing end-users to either wait or buy through them.

I'm not saying it is happening, or will, but it is a possibility.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real issue is that they can manipulate the supply chain with their monetary resources. Other online vendors seem to be low on some products (e.g. IM tanks) that BRS has in stock. They can buy up supply essentially forcing end-users to either wait or buy through them.

I'm not saying it is happening, or will, but it is a possibility.
I know it's an anecdote, but I literally just found the opposite to be the case when I went to buy a pair of nero's the other day. Saltwateraquarium.com had them in stock, BRS didn't. Speculating about what a company *can* do isn't really a good use of anyone's time because anything can be put forth as a possibility. Can BRS "control the supply chain"? I mean, I guess it's possible for the things their companies make, but how much is that really?

1639166815533.png

Of the 12 aquarium controller manufacturers that BRS sells products for on its site, how many are influenced by BRS because of the mergers? Answer: One. BRS doesn't own Coralvue or GHL do they? To say that BRS is not exactly cornering the market is an understatement.

And yeah, BRS *could* do those things... if BRS wanted to lose money. All of the hyperbolic speculation is unreasonable if the goal of BRS is to make money. The example you just gave of "buying up all the supply so everyone is forced to buy from them" is not a winning business strategy.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called BRS this mourning to discuss Flow pumps, particularly the MP40. I was told the BRS, as of today, owns Ecotech Marine.

First question I though of is that since BRS also own Neptune are they gonna make them play nice together and let Apex control the lights and pumps again. I got a "not sure what the future will be with that"

interesting news
The full story is more interesting. BRS was acquired by Bertram Capital in early 2021. Then BRS bought Marine Depot. Then Neptune Systems merged with BRS. In late 2021, Bertram bought Ecotech Marine.

So that means Ecotech and Neptune products have a single parent company. It also means BRS and Marine Depot fall under the same umbrella.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Petco had bought Live Aquaria several years back, then resold it to Tropical Fish International. It still comes up as liveaquaria.com.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Business expansion is not the devil, it could quite possibly bring prices back to a reasonable mark-up in these expensive times, if they did things wrong they would disappear like every other co. with operational errors. I have no issue with @Bulk Reef Supply they have always done more than right by me, until that changes, im not going to speculate anything different.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Business expansion is not the devil, it could quite possibly bring prices back to a reasonable mark-up in these expensive times, if they did things wrong they would disappear like every other co. with operational errors. I have no issue with @Bulk Reef Supply they have always done more than right by me, until that changes, im not going to speculate anything different.
The risk is that, since the control a huge market share online, that they will stop selling certain products and steer the market in the most profitable direction, rather than catering to every niche of the hobby. As long as I can DIY most of the hobby (minus certain supplements and things with motors), I can still afford SW.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the mergers prices increased not decreased. That's what happens in a monopoly market.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquisitions are the future. For example, Mars (the candy people) own Aquarium Pharmaceiticals (API), IAMS, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Sheba, Eukanuba, Cesar, Whiskas, Greenies, and Nutro, as well as Banfield Veterinary, among others.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are just under one overall brand now, we will see later this year if BRS decides to drop other companies or what they will end up doing
BRS isn't in a position to drop any companies on its own.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yes, I think we all suspected bertram would continue to acquire more aquarium companies when they got BRS and BRS bought marinedepot. People were hoping they wouldnt be merged and be considered sister companies but i dont think that is the case now
Since the mergers prices increased not decreased. That's what happens in a monopoly market.
not certain if this was due to pandemic price shifts or monopoly influence

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back